Poll

Are you a Christian?

I would like to be 50% 50% - 157 50% 50% - 157
I don't want anything to do with that! 55% 55% - 174 44% 44% - 140
Total: 314
Erkut.hv
+124|6802|California
Yeah, guys like Pol Pot were bible thumping evangelicals right?
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6617|CH/BR - in UK

MOG Disciple wrote:

Konfusion0 wrote:

@MOG Disciple...
I respect you very much for the maturity and lightness with which you have taken these offences.
However you have failed to persuade me thus far. Even if he existed, there have been too many killings in his name for me to want to go to church. Even if he were real, I would not try to change my life style in anyway. I wish you a pleasant life either way... And if I am wrong, oh well. I shall forever burn in hell...at least I will never be cold.
No jacket for you.

The killing defense is kind of lame there have been killings in many names not just in Christs name.  The true Born Again Christian is one of Love and compasion not that of killig and word domination. Many say they do the will of God.

Mat 7:15  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16  Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17  Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18  A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19  Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20  Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I AM THE REAL DEAL.
I never used the killing as a defense... I'm just pointing that out...
MOG Disciple
+8|6585|Wisconsin
10.4 on that.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6617|CH/BR - in UK

MOG Disciple wrote:

10.4 on that.
you're online a lot btw
MOG Disciple
+8|6585|Wisconsin
I live online with my Insurance business.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6617|CH/BR - in UK

MOG Disciple wrote:

awesome I have to work in construction for a while... summer job...
MOG Disciple
+8|6585|Wisconsin

Konfusion0 wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

What type of construction? I used to drive a concrete truck.
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6873|Orlando, FL - Age 43
Here is an interesting opinion article found on Pravda. My good friend Marconius should get a kick out of it.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/column … -America-0
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6699|949

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Here is an interesting opinion article found on Pravda. My good friend Marconius should get a kick out of it.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/column … -America-0
I think I am dumber after reading that opinion piece.  Seriously, the way the author talks about the U.S. and GWB, it seems that he has never experienced the U.S., and is only basing his opinions on what he reads and sees on TV.  It is fairly brash to come out and say GWB is Pinocchio with the Jews pulling the strings.  It's all about perception I guess.
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6873|Orlando, FL - Age 43

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think I am dumber after reading that opinion piece.  Seriously, the way the author talks about the U.S. and GWB, it seems that he has never experienced the U.S., and is only basing his opinions on what he reads and sees on TV.  It is fairly brash to come out and say GWB is Pinocchio with the Jews pulling the strings.  It's all about perception I guess.
Well quite frankly KEN, I often feel the same way after reading some of the opinions in these forums.

BTW, that kind of reference to the Jews was very commonplace in Europe not to long ago, and by that I don't mean just by a notable German group. The Nazi's just took what was already there and ran amok with it.

Last edited by Darth_Fleder (2006-07-06 12:07:18)

PekkaA
+36|6731|Finland

kr@cker wrote:

that t-bird spammer didn't help things, at least christians don't kill people for not being christian though
Read this for a start. There are all kind of people who consider themselves as christians, just like small part of muslims are extremists. (I suppose you had muslims in mind when you wrote that.)
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6617|CH/BR - in UK

MOG Disciple wrote:

Konfusion0 wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

What type of construction? I used to drive a concrete truck.
I have a lot to do with shoveling the concrete and also doing other pointless jobs, like shopping for the "crew"...
Summer Jobs are useless
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6767
Marconius posted this in one of the other religious threads: http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm

On a more serious note, I think the majority of Christians believe in God solely because they were brought up that way. I have no empirical evidence to support that, it's just my opinion. The Christians I've met were by and large told from a very early age that the Bible is the word of God, etc. etc. By the time they developed the critical thinking skills that should be applied to that belief, cognitive dissonance, or psychology, or just plain habit was there to carry their beliefs through any and all doubt. Again, in my opinion only, parents do their children a great disservice by taking them to church before those children are capable of making intelligent decisions about faith. It's like the children that are brought up in racist or cultist families, they have virtually no choice but to believe what their parents have taught them.

This is also the reason I oppose the teaching of intelligent design. God has no place in an environment that is founded on factual knowledge and hard evidence (until factual knowledge and hard evidence for His existence can be provided, that is).

And before someone says it, I know you think I'm going to hell. I'm sure I'll be in good company.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6616|Southeastern USA

PekkaA wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

that t-bird spammer didn't help things, at least christians don't kill people for not being christian though
Read this for a start. There are all kind of people who consider themselves as christians, just like small part of muslims are extremists. (I suppose you had muslims in mind when you wrote that.)
the muslim community has not risenupagainst.....milit.....islam....christi...an..KKKashasMLKjr...major..itychristian socie...ty..z....z..zzzz..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6767

MOG Disciple wrote:

Big McLargehuge wrote:

Someone else already said this but ill repeat it.

If Homosexuality is wrong. Then why would GOD create gay people?
I believe that God gave us free will and that is why we have homosexuality. Homosexuality is a perversion and a lie from satin himself.

<truncated>

I believe that you can leave the homosexual lifestyle you just need to fall on your face before God and ask for forgiveness.
This belief is profoundly ignorant in the light of modern psychology. Have you done any research on the subject, or did you, like so many other christians, flash-form opinions about something you know little about based solely on the words of the Bible and perhaps your local clergy? According to the American psychological association:
What Causes a Person To Have a Particular Sexual Orientation?

There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation. Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality.

It's important to recognize that there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation, and the reasons may be different for different people.

Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?

No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

Can Therapy Change Sexual Orientation?

No; even though most homosexuals live successful, happy lives, some homosexual or bisexual people may seek to change their sexual orientation through therapy, often coerced by family members or religious groups to try and do so. The reality is that homosexuality is not an illness. It does not require treatment and is not changeable. However, not all gay, lesbian, and bisexual people who seek assistance from a mental health professional want to change their sexual orientation. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual people may seek psychological help with the coming out process or for strategies to deal with prejudice, but most go into therapy for the same reasons and life issues that bring straight people to mental health professionals.
http://www.apahelpcenter.org/articles/article.php?id=31

some more articles:
http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/h … nging.html
http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/Researc … icall.html

There are plenty more sources waiting out there, but I suspect that like Jamdude you will choose to side with your preconceived religious beliefs over the combined research of the entire scientific community.

Lastly, no, I am not gay.
MOG Disciple
+8|6585|Wisconsin

Skruples wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

Big McLargehuge wrote:

Someone else already said this but ill repeat it.

If Homosexuality is wrong. Then why would GOD create gay people?
I believe that God gave us free will and that is why we have homosexuality. Homosexuality is a perversion and a lie from satin himself.

<truncated>

I believe that you can leave the homosexual lifestyle you just need to fall on your face before God and ask for forgiveness.
This belief is profoundly ignorant in the light of modern psychology. Have you done any research on the subject, or did you, like so many other christians, flash-form opinions about something you know little about based solely on the words of the Bible and perhaps your local clergy? According to the American psychological association:

There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation. Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality.

It's important to recognize that there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation, and the reasons may be different for different people.

No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

No; even though most homosexuals live successful, happy lives, some homosexual or bisexual people may seek to change their sexual orientation through therapy, often coerced by family members or religious groups to try and do so. The reality is that homosexuality is not an illness. It does not require treatment and is not changeable. However, not all gay, lesbian, and bisexual people who seek assistance from a mental health professional want to change their sexual orientation. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual people may seek psychological help with the coming out process or for strategies to deal with prejudice, but most go into therapy for the same reasons and life issues that bring straight people to mental health professionals.

some more articles:

There are plenty more sources waiting out there, but I suspect that like Jamdude you will choose to side with your preconceived religious beliefs over the combined research of the entire scientific community.

You said it, its all theories and speculations. Hhomosexuality is, its a choice. Just like it was said before most of what we were taught at a young age we grow up beliving be it believing in Jesus or being an athiest, being a homosapian or homosexual.  I have seen many homosexuals leave their ways and even marry and have children.  So don't give me that.  It was a choice they made

I will say it again!!!!!!!   [[[[ Please read all these verses]]]]]]

I believe that God gave us free will and that is why we have homosexuality. Homosexuality is a perversion and a lie from satin himself. You need to fall on your face and ask The Heavenly Father for forgivnes and He can and will change your heart and your life.

Lev 18:22  Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
Lev 18:23  Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
1Ki 15:12  And he took away the sodomites out of the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made.
Rom 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23  And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24  Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25  Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
Rom 1:26  For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27  And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29  Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30  Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31  Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32  Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I personally believe that Rom 1:32 is what the Aids epidemic is all about. Not just homosexuality but the whole scoop of sexual perversions, that is including unfaithful spouses and sleeping around before you’re married.
MOG Disciple
+8|6585|Wisconsin
I strongly recommend a book called "THE UNHAPPY GAYS: What Everyone Should Know About Homosexuality" by Tim LaHaye (Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton Illinois, 1978) to gain a good insight into the factors that lead to the development of homosexuality. In his chapter on "What Causes Homosexuality?" Tim LaHaye first describes...

The Components For Developing A Predisposition To Homosexuality
Please carefully note that the components listed below DO NOT CAUSE ONE TO BECOME A HOMOSEXUAL. Rather, they can contribute to the development of a PREDISPOSITION TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALITY. A person can (and many do) have all these components and still not be a homosexual. As listed and describe by LaHaye, these components include:

1.    A Melancholy Temperament

2.    Inadequate Parental Relationships

3.    Permissive Childhood Training

4.    Insecurity About Sexual Identity

5.    Childhood Sexual Trauma

6.    Early Interest In Sex

7.    Youthful Masturbator And Sexual Fantasizer

8.    Childhood Associates And Peer Pressure
As indicated earlier, the scientific arena is one than can be easily "tainted" by presuppositions or political correctness (even "religious" correctness). For this reason, it will be a long time before adequate research can be done that will come close to resolving this issue conclusively. But research from impartial sources has indicated that it is possible to overcome homosexuality...
Masters & Johnson, well-known researchers in human sexuality, reported in their book Homosexuality In Perspective a 67% success rate in their helping homosexuals revert to heterosexual behavior. I doubt anyone could accuse Masters & Johnson of being motivated by religious prejudices in their reporting!
Also, in an article published in the American Journal Of Psychiatry (December, 1980), E. Mansell Pattison, M.D., and Myrna Loy Pattison, from the Department of Psychiatry and Health Behavior, Medical College of Georgia, documented eleven cases of men who claim to have changed their sexual orientation from exclusively homosexuality to exclusive heterosexuality through involvement in a church fellowship.
This leads to the second reason why I believe it IS possible to overcome homosexuality...

THE BIBLICAL EVIDENCE
In writing to the church at Corinth, a city known for its immorality, Paul warns them:

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor HOMOSEXUALS, nor SODOMITES, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Co 6:9-10)
Notice, as we have seen earlier, that Paul includes homosexuality as conduct that can keep one out of the kingdom of God. But then Paul says something that should give great hope to those who are willing to believe that it IS possible to overcome homosexuality...

"AND SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Co 6:11)
Through the blood of Jesus Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit, it IS possible for a homosexual to be forgiven and to be sanctified (set apart for a holy purpose)!
This is not to say that it is easy. As with all sinners, forgiveness can be received immediately when united with Christ in His death through baptism. But living the kind of "sanctified" life required of all Christians is one that requires a "transformation" which occurs in time as we submit our minds and bodies to the transforming and strengthening power of the Holy Spirit!
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6767

MOG Disciple wrote:

Skruples wrote:

MOG Disciple wrote:

<truncated>

some more articles:

You said it, its all theories and speculations. Hhomosexuality is, its a choice. Just like it was said before most of what we were taught at a young age we grow up beliving be it believing in Jesus or being an athiest, being a homosapian or homosexual.  I have seen many homosexuals leave their ways and even marry and have children.  So don't give me that.  It was a choice they made

I believe that God gave us free will and that is why we have homosexuality. Homosexuality is a perversion and a lie from satin himself. You need to fall on your face and ask The Heavenly Father for forgivnes and He can and will change your heart and your life.

I personally believe that Rom 1:32 is what the Aids epidemic is all about. Not just homosexuality but the whole scoop of sexual perversions, that is including unfaithful spouses and sleeping around before you’re married.
"There are plenty more sources waiting out there, but I suspect that like Jamdude you will choose to side with your preconceived religious beliefs over the combined research of the entire scientific community. "
Thank you for making my point. Did you actually read those articles I posted? I should think the APA would know a little more about the psychology of homosexuality than yourself. Yet instead of trying to back your argument up with factual or reliable evidence, you quoted the bible again and related a personal anecdote. Good work, but I think you fail on intellectual grounds. Now, on to your points:

You said it, its all theories and speculations. Hhomosexuality is, its a choice.
From the first article I linked: "No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed."
Tell me, are you a licensed psychologist? Is your opinion based on a solid medical education? Or are you simply regurgitating whatever you have learned in your religious experience? Remember that the APA bases this on actual research, the references for which you can probably get if you wanted.

Just like it was said before most of what we were taught at a young age we grow up beliving be it believing in Jesus or being an athiest, being a homosapian or homosexual.
I'm not sure how you would teach someone to be a homosapian from a young age... as for 'teaching' someone to be homosexual, that idea also has no basis in fact.

The APA wrote:

Gender-Role Behavior. A number of studies have examined gender-role behavior among the offspring of lesbian mothers (Golombok et al., 1983; Gottman, 1990; Green, 1978; Hoeffer, 1981; Kirkpatrick et al., 1981; Patterson, 1994a). These studies reported that such behavior among children of lesbian mothers fell within typical limits for conventional sex roles. For instance, Kirkpatrick and her colleagues (1981) found no differences between children of lesbian versus heterosexual mothers in toy preferences, activities, interests, or occupational choices.
http://www.apa.org/pi/parent.html

Believe it or not, quoting the bible is not a substitute for having a valid point.

Yes, clearly satin is lying to us, and that is the cause for homosexuality.

This is not worthy of a response.

strongly recommend a book called "THE UNHAPPY GAYS: What Everyone Should Know About Homosexuality" by Tim LaHaye (Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton Illinois, 1978) to gain a good insight into the factors that lead to the development of homosexuality. In his chapter on "What Causes Homosexuality?" Tim LaHaye first describes...
Lets see what the APA has to say about it. Let me remind you: Tim LaHaye is one man, and the APA is the foremost authority on psychological health in the United States.

The APA wrote:

The decision to remove homosexual orientation from the list of mental disorders reflects the results of extensive research, conducted over three decades, showing that homosexual orientation is not a psychological maladjustment (Gonsiorek, 1991; Reiss, 1980; Hart, Roback, Tittler, Weitz, Walston, & McKee, 1978). The social and other circumstances in which lesbians and gay men live, including exposure to widespread prejudice and discrimination, often cause acute distress; but there is no reliable evidence that homosexual orientation per se impairs psychological functioning (Freedman, 1971; Gonsiorek, 1991; Hart et al., 1978; Hooker, 1957; Reiss, 1980).
http://www.apa.org/pi/parent.html
I would also point out that 1978 (the time that book was written) was just around the time homosexuality was being removed from the DSM as a mental disease.

This leads to the second reason why I believe it IS possible to overcome homosexuality...
Let me remind you that quoting the Bible is not a substitute for solid, empirical evidence supporting your position.
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6607|vancouver

Skruples wrote:

wikipedia wrote:

Satin is a cloth that typically has a glossy surface and a dull back.
*solemnly shakes head*

Dude, that's exactly what he wants you to believe.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6761|San Francisco
Skruples, I strongly think that MOG is a lost cause.  He has claimed several times to be a "Born Again christian," and to them, the bible pretty much is nothing but the unquestionable truth.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6767
I have little doubt that he is unshakable in his opinions, but I can demonstrate to other readers of this thread that his beliefs have no basis in medical science.
JaMDuDe
+69|6844
I think that there are a lot of people who are homosexual from birth. But in the gay club at the highschool(with hundreds of members) I think a lot of them convince themselves they are gay to be an "individual" in some weird twisted teenager way.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6722|United States of America

JaMDuDe wrote:

I think that there are a lot of people who are homosexual from birth. But in the gay club at the highschool(with hundreds of members) I think a lot of them convince themselves they are gay to be an "individual" in some weird twisted teenager way.
Maybe they took the Gay Club to mean Happy Club????  Wouldn't it suck to think your going to the Happy Club meeting only to be bent over by the wrestling team.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6660|Lexington, Kentucky
Flame me all you want, but here is the reason for the Anti-Gay verses in the OLD Testament.
1: pre-Bronze age Desert villages would die out if people did not breed and produce children.
2: In pre-bronze age, even a minor infection could kill, and was seen as the Wrath of God.
3: Men buttsecksing each other would sometimes get a minor infection in their penis.
4: No toilet paper, either, so a casual non-penetration could kill too.
5: Combine all of these, with an ignorant populace and no Germ-Theory or means to clean oneself properly.

Now, the disclaimer: The OLD Testament was replaced by Jesus' Love in the New Testament, and all the old laws (save for the Ten Commandments) are read for historical purposes. Few Christians really pay attention to that clause, though, and hold the OLD above the NEW.

Edit: According to Duteronomy, eating Ham is a cardinal sin. Worse than buttsecks. Go seek your forgiveness, and get laughed out of Churc if you don't believe me.

Edit 2: Reason for that was because there was no refrigeration, and Ham would litterally go bad in minutes after being killed. Moslems and Jews to this day still hold these rules as Sacred, though. But there is the meaning, as most of the OT was practical rules. Oh, and they had no way of getting Ham up to a safe 141* F or higher.

Edit 3: Because some of you have asked, and it's the reason for this Thread: No, I am not a Christian. I once was, and arguably I've learned more about Christianity from being a Pagan, but I am Christan no longer.
One of my reasons for leaving was I sat down and had a good read through the Bible. There is awful stuff buried in there.

Last edited by Anfidurl (2006-07-07 07:43:26)

Poseidon417
+1|6598
And yet a BOOK is telling you that homosexuality is wrong. Hmm.

Let's all believe teh book! teh book is teh knowledge!1//?1/!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard