twiistaaa
+87|6676|mexico
ok ive currently got a geforce 6600 pci-e with a AMD 4000+ and 1gb ram thats all i know. i want to get more out of it so how far out should i go with a new graphics card? i cant afford a new computer either and i dont want something that is over kill or i cant run. i will eventually buy a new system so its more of a filler as opposed to a long term upgrade. or is it not even worth getting? i might get more ram to?
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6604|Michigan, USA
Budget Needed.
twiistaaa
+87|6676|mexico
hmm im not sure if it translates since its australian and our parts are probably more expensive. i was more wondering what i could possibly run without bottlenecks or power issues, cheap or expensive.

but in australian somewhere between $300-$600 - thats optimal but money isnt really a problem. like i said i just dont want more then i need since i will eventually just buy a new system.

Last edited by twiistaaa (2007-07-21 02:10:19)

r2zoo
+126|6604|Michigan, USA
Well firstly, what Brand and wattage PSU do you have?

Wow, looking online at Aussie Grahpics card, they are a fair bit more expensive then American, I feel you pain.

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-07-21 02:12:36)

Xyzmann
+2|6421|Brisbane Australia
I use AMD 3200 & found significant improvement when I added the second 1gb ram (I know use 2 gb ram)  Especially with lag & opening & closing the game. I used to use a geforce 6600 pci-e & now use Asus 320m EN8800GTS & now I can run all game settings on high & my 22" lcd on max res with absolutley no problems. 
The only problem was the shear physical size of the new card required a new case(ANTEC 900 -without power supply) ..New power supply(650w)..
The new vid card made heaps of difference cause i can run all settings on max.
r2zoo
+126|6604|Michigan, USA
The 8800GTS is within you budget($300ish) just depends on your power supply, and wether or not your case can hold the card(it is quite large)

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-07-21 02:15:12)

twiistaaa
+87|6676|mexico
i looked it says macron - output 460watt max
r2zoo
+126|6604|Michigan, USA

twiistaaa wrote:

By chance was this a prebuilt system from a store?  Cant find any specs on the PSU so I cant tell you if it will support an 8800GTS, however I did see a few setups with 7900s.
twiistaaa
+87|6676|mexico

r2zoo wrote:

twiistaaa wrote:

By chance was this a prebuilt system from a store?  Cant find any specs on the PSU so I cant tell you if it will support an 8800GTS, however I did see a few setups with 7900s.
its not a brand computer. the company i bought it through just builds it themselves.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
Honestly, I wouldn't do too much of an upgrade. Maybe just to like a 7600 or something. There is no point in getting a mad graphics card along with a not very good core system (okay, maybe those were the wrong words - the system is fine.. but when it stands against say a C2D and 2GB of RAM - you know what I mean)
Xyzmann
+2|6421|Brisbane Australia
here's some Aussie prices for you twiistaaa, http://www.computeralliance.com.au/part … SubCat=ASV
they built my pc & these guys even play BF2 so they're in a good position to offer advise on compatibility issues & psu's.
claor
+39|6422|Australia
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6450|Stealth City, UK
He says he's got 300-500 Dollars (AU or US?) to spend......why would he get those crappy ones?

If you're the kind of person who saves up for each individual part all the time (instead of buying a whole new system at once) then get the best you can now. Then when you have some more money you can upgrade to whats the best at that particular time.

I suggest the 8800GTS, and it depends on what size screen you have as to whether or not you get the 320mb or the 640mb version.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-21 06:34:14)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6628|Mhz

Unless you're going to go get Vista and a big ass chunck of extra RAM I'd take a high end 7 series gforce over a mid range 8 series, it'll perform better in that rig.

Actually I'd probabaly take an ATi x1950 Pro over both in that rig.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-07-21 06:48:55)

theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6620|balls
you'll run a 7900 card just fine.  not sure what $300 will get you in austraila but sounds like it won't get you an 8800 so either save some dough and if you only want to run bf2 on high go with a 7600gt and buy another gb or ram.  that will be huge improvement.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6450|Stealth City, UK

theknuck wrote:

you'll run a 7900 card just fine.  not sure what $300 will get you in austraila but sounds like it won't get you an 8800 so either save some dough and if you only want to run bf2 on high go with a 7600gt and buy another gb or ram.  that will be huge improvement.
Did you even read his posts, he has up to $600!

If it was me considering an upgrade I'd start with the RAM.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-21 09:43:41)

theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6620|balls

buLLet_t00th wrote:

theknuck wrote:

knob, $600 in austrailia won't get him what i would get him here in the states.  thats all i was saying.   so again another gb of ram and fuck, then get a 8800gts 640mb.  hows that bullet?
r2zoo
+126|6604|Michigan, USA

theknuck wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

theknuck wrote:

knob, $600 in austrailia won't get him what i would get him here in the states.  thats all i was saying.   so again another gb of ram and fuck, then get a 8800gts 640mb.  hows that bullet?
Actually they 800GTS is only in the $300ish range AU, perfectly within his budget, while cards are a fair bit more expensive, its not by a huge amount.  I was looking at online sellers in AU so if he plans to buy from a shop or something it could differ.  But I agree with going for the best you can afford.  Im the same type of person, buy the best you can now, for once you do upgrade it can only get much better rather then buying marginally good parts here and there. You should be able to get a 8 series and still invest in some new ram.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard