Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6744|St. Paul, MN
gratiously taken from another forum:
It's very simple really. All you have to do is go to your EAGames/Battlefield 2 folder. Find the .exe file labeled "BF2". Rename this file to "BF2*whatever else you want*" where the stuff after BF2 is custom. You could even just put a 1, 2, highframerate, 1337, whatever. Doesn't matter. Just make it so it says something besides BF2.

After this is done, find your launch icon on your desktop (if you have one), go to Properties and adjust the target line to fit the icon you just renamed the standard "BF2" from. Hit apply, and you're done.
Your icon for BF2 may or may not change to a blank .exe symbol, and ASE may ask if you uninstalled, but rest assured everything is still where it should be.

"Well what does this do then?" you ask. Put simply, it turns BF2 from a resource and system hog to a regular, stable game. As far as I know it has something to do with Nvidia and ATI creating special "game profiles" that work with the game to "maximize performance" and run special stuff that's directly related to the game. Turns out you don't need any of that. After applying this change, both my copy of BiA and BF2 run at higher FPS's than ever, even with settings upped some. I was playing on a server in Denmark with 64 players with NO LAG!

from the replies I read about this, it seems to help people with the low end hardware the most.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6771|AUS, Canberra
didnt do anything for me...
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6744|St. Paul, MN
what video card are you using?
THA
+609|6771|AUS, Canberra
6800 gt
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6744|St. Paul, MN
yeah, see it supposedly doesn't make any difference with high end cards.
dop3man
I'm your pusher
+9|6738|yorkshire penisula
so if i got a 7800GT it aint gunna make a diff?lol whats the point for high end users?
oberst_enzian
+234|6743|melb.au
why should it do anything for high-end users?? it's a lag problem - something that low end users suffer from. ergo, it's a obviously a fix for low ends users. duh.
uber73
+188|6752|Brisbane
BUY.
MORE.
RAM.
NO.
MORE.
"LAG"

people, jerky gameplay is a DIRECT result of people overestimating their systems ability.
If you experience "lag", ie jerky stuttering frame rate, you NEED to drop your settings.  This is NOT a network issue.... this is people attempting to run BF2 at too high a setting for their machine.

the best way to improve bf2 is to dump in more ram.
bf2 is a ram gobbler.
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6739|Omaha, Nebraska
I have a 6800GT and a Gig of Corsair XMS.. How much more money do I need to spend to play a $50 game????

And yes I have tweaked my game every which way there is some sort of issues with BF2. I get extreme lag on some servers around the US Carrier.  This also I am sure could be the server itself.. just a bit annoying.
uber73
+188|6752|Brisbane
its unlikely to be server side.
seriously.

my rig was:
7800gt, amd64 +3500, asus a8n sli deluxe... i had "lag" until i stepped up from 1 gig of ram to 2 gig of ram. Now, i play max settings, AAx4... 75 fps.
RAM IS KING for bf2... trust me and the others who tell u this.

BUY MORE RAM = LESS LAG
Adonlude
+2|6780
I run a Radeon 9800pro and I recently upped my RAM to 2Gb and it improved alot. I still sometimes get lag on the carrier on 64 player maps though which shows that ram can only do so much if you have an older graphics card like mine. I run mostly high with some medium settings and no AA. I am considering buying an X850XT PE but it just seems wrong to spend hundreds of dollars just for BF2. I only really play 1 game at a time and will probably continue BF2 for along time.
THA
+609|6771|AUS, Canberra
iv got 6800 gt
2 gig ram
3400+ cpu
1.5mb internet

and i still have bad lag probs even when my ping is only 40.....its fucking annoying, even if i turn it onto the lowest crapiest setting i can it will do it.
G.I.JOE¤MFA¤
+3|6730|Wherever Uncle Sams Needs Me.
most people get LAG and frame rate loss comfused...its a never ending quest of mine to explain lag and frame rate loss...

lag deals with conenction speeds...upload and download...u may have a kick ass download but you upload is way lower...i have a 5MBit connection but that is my download speed...my upload speed is 512...

i have no problem with lag...my pings vary from server to server since location and server speed is a factor and my speeds are 10 to 80 (i live in las vegas and most servers i visit are midwest to east coast)

i have an intel 3.2 OCed via bios to just under 3.6 (socket 478)
2 gigs of ram
6800 gt OCed (BFG brand - APG - 81.95 drivers)
audigy 2 zs platnium pro

all ingame setting on high and AA is OFF for best look and performance

also my desktop graphic settings are all on their lowest settings or OFF to improve performance

i rarely ever get any frame rate loss using fraps my frame rates are around 80 frames a second (recording they drop to 25-30)

also im usually first in the server due to the quick load time from the 2 gigs of ram and that fast download
uber73
+188|6752|Brisbane
first on server is the peach..
i liove being in tank and half way to flag before i even see anyone else

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard