Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6676|NT, like Mick Dundee

Say what you want about him, to not have read some of his work "is to court true ignorance".

I myself recently picked up a book of his, brilliantly written and excellently sourced; the content is great too.

I urge others to have a look, don't immediately dismiss him as "a liberal crackpot" because he isn't.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6779
I love his work. Ultra smart.

one of my fave quotes from him: "Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6491|Somewhere else

Recommend a book?  I have only one of his, maybe yous could recommend a few?
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6349|EsSeX

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Ive just got his book Failed states, ive watched a few of his google videos

[google]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4054523048548733881[/google]

Manufacturing Consent
[google]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5631882395226827730[/google]
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6540|Global Command
Cliff notes?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

http://newcriterion.com:81/archive/21/may03/chomsky.htm

On September 12, 2001

"The terrorist attacks were major atrocities. In scale they may not reach the level of many others, for example, Clinton’s bombing of the Sudan with no credible pretext, destroying half its pharmaceutical supplies and killing unknown numbers of people."

Interesting man.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6491|Somewhere else

elstonieo wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Ive just got his book Failed states, ive watched a few of his google videos
LOL Thats the book I have.  guess I better start reading then.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

usmarine2005 wrote:

http://newcriterion.com:81/archive/21/may03/chomsky.htm

On September 12, 2001

"The terrorist attacks were major atrocities. In scale they may not reach the level of many others, for example, Clinton’s bombing of the Sudan with no credible pretext, destroying half its pharmaceutical supplies and killing unknown numbers of people."

Interesting man.
Well, Clinton did bomb the only factory capable of manufacturing generic AIDS medication and HIV medication on the African continent so... He has a point.

Failed States and Hegemony or Survival are the two works of his that I have. My father has been urging me to get a hold of his books for a while now and I recently did get these two. It's made me curious to see more.

With what little I know of him I would say he is one of the USA's greatest modern minds.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6537|Milkystania, yurop
That globalisation book
CameronPoe
+2,925|6566
Extremely intelligent. I've read 9/11 and Hegemony or Survival.
Sgt.Scream.MDK
+19|6774|Florida - America's Wang!
Right now I'm taking a Formal Languages and Automata class as part of the Computer Science curriculum. One of the topics is Chomsky normal form, which is named after Chomsky because of his Chomsky hierarchy (source: wikipedia). It amazes me how someone could come up with this stuff, incredibly smart.

Found an article though about Chomsky in regards to Universal Grammar. Summary: Dan Everett believes that Pirahã undermines Noam Chomsky’s idea of a universal grammar. (WARNING: this is a long article, you have been warned.)
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6500|Gogledd Cymru

i thought this was gonna be a lolcats type thread  "noam chomsky" sound awful lolcattish
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6453|Stealth City, UK
He's alright for a bit of light reading I suppose.

Nothing like a bit of Noam to send you off to sleep.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Sgt.Scream.MDK wrote:

Right now I'm taking a Formal Languages and Automata class as part of the Computer Science curriculum. One of the topics is Chomsky normal form, which is named after Chomsky because of his Chomsky hierarchy (source: wikipedia). It amazes me how someone could come up with this stuff, incredibly smart.

Found an article though about Chomsky in regards to Universal Grammar. Summary: Dan Everett believes that Pirahã undermines Noam Chomsky’s idea of a universal grammar. (WARNING: this is a long article, you have been warned.)
I've heard Chomsky has already begun restructuring his thesis on Universal Grammar so it still applies to that tribe.

In anycase, the books are very interesting.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

Chomsky is a world renowned linguist, professor at MIT, and social anarchist.  His advances in linguistics (especially in regards to formation and innate language) have been instrumental in shaping the modern understanding of language.  He is also probably the foremost critic and dissident of US foreign policy.  He also has gripes with the mainstream media, aggressive Zionist policy, and the concentration of capital in the hands of few.  He is a self-described social anarchist, which he describes as opposing any type of social system he perceives to be corrupt.

His books worth reading are:

What Uncle Sam Really Wants
Deterring Democracy
Necessary Illusions (one of his better books)
"Human Rights" and American Foreign Policy
9-11
Hegemony or Survival
Propaganda and the Public Mind
Rogue States (great read)
Manufacturing Consent (Chomsky classic)
Class Warfare
Chronicles of Dissent
Failed States

I love reading Chomsky, although he often goes off on a tangent and takes a lot of time returning to his point.  His books are NOT light reading, they definitely are not something you can just read on the shitter.  You actually have to set aside a decent amount of time to understand fully what he is discussing.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-07-21 15:14:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard