Poll

On a scale of 1 to 10, how f*cked is the US education system?

10 - Completely FUBAR, a disgrace to the country22%22% - 23
9 - Almost F'ed up beyond repair, very, very bad4%4% - 5
8 - Extremely F'ed.8%8% - 9
7 - Greatly F'ed.. still, barely reparable13%13% - 14
6 - More than it should be, almost passable21%21% - 22
5 - It's flawed, but still manages to do its job7%7% - 8
4 - Some kinks here and there, nothing serious tho4%4% - 5
3 - It is serving its purpose, doing it generally well7%7% - 8
2 - It's doing a great job, almost no flaws2%2% - 3
1 - It's one of the best in the world, nearly perfect3%3% - 4
Total: 101
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6447|Chicago, IL
well, my schooling thus far has been exceptional, but Im aware that many American schools fail completely.

I think it has more to do with the segment of the population a school has to teach than the schools themselves.
Smithereener
+138|6316|California
I voted 5, has flaws but still gets the job done... for people who actually want to learn.

There will always be instances of apathetic teachers, but I tend to think that these instances are largely isolated. Public education may not be the best in the world, but it is enough to get a person through with, at the least, the basic skills one would need to do something for the public.

Although one factor may be that classes are nowadays getting less engaged, part of the problem lies with the actual students. It seems like they just don't care about education and how lucky they are to recieve it... for free! Examine some of the students at my school; "I got an F in Algebra A, oh well." Oh well? It's not even Algebra I, (Algebra A is pretty much Pre-Algebra... in HIGH school) and they're completely blowing it off. And later, when they figure out they aren't going to graduate, they begin to blame the school and its teachers.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6165|California
Yeah, in Cali, there is this no child left behind act (idk if it's in other states...) which basically means that everyone under age 18 must get an education no matter the situation.  First, the government has proved that they poorly fund the public schools, and two, most people in the public education system dont give a damn about their own education, so we're throwing money away from those that really want the education.
I say, if someone doesn't want to go to school, don't make them, screw the child labor laws.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647
Most people that vote have only gone to one school and base their ideas on that. My highschool did an ok enough of a job but I can't speak for every school in the nation.
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6758|06-01

k30dxedle wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I'm not going to vote as I'm not American and don't know enough about your education system ...but I will say this - your geography lessons could do with a little improvement
"Where's Asia? Is that in New York City?"
hahahahaha

trivia fiend..
Marinejuana
local
+415|6586|Seattle

Spearhead wrote:

I think most of us Americans out there (and no doubt all you foreigners) seem to have the impression that our education system here in the US is in bad shape.  How bad do you think it is?  Is it messed up beyond repair?  Should we privatize education because our government has failed so miserably?  What do you think our nation will be like in the next few decades?  Are we dooming our future generations?  Do the problems lie in the fact that we aren't teaching our minors the correct stuff, or we aren't teaching them enough?

So, what do you think?  How should the USA fix its education problem?  Or maybe you think its all peachy and we're doing fine.... your thoughts?
its quite bad. dont privatize or poor kids will have it even worse. we need to abolish the federal board, and replace it with a fund for public schools. this way school funding doesnt depend on the local area but individual schools and their states can develop curricula independently. if our teachers got decent pay and had more control over the information they teach, we would have a higher quality education system for the kids.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6844|Waikato, Aotearoa
Yep that YouTube cast really says it all. The average American is completely clueless when it comes to geography.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard