Poll

On a scale of 1 to 10, how f*cked is the US education system?

10 - Completely FUBAR, a disgrace to the country22%22% - 23
9 - Almost F'ed up beyond repair, very, very bad4%4% - 5
8 - Extremely F'ed.8%8% - 9
7 - Greatly F'ed.. still, barely reparable13%13% - 14
6 - More than it should be, almost passable21%21% - 22
5 - It's flawed, but still manages to do its job7%7% - 8
4 - Some kinks here and there, nothing serious tho4%4% - 5
3 - It is serving its purpose, doing it generally well7%7% - 8
2 - It's doing a great job, almost no flaws2%2% - 3
1 - It's one of the best in the world, nearly perfect3%3% - 4
Total: 101
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6661|Tampa Bay Florida
I think most of us Americans out there (and no doubt all you foreigners) seem to have the impression that our education system here in the US is in bad shape.  How bad do you think it is?  Is it messed up beyond repair?  Should we privatize education because our government has failed so miserably?  What do you think our nation will be like in the next few decades?  Are we dooming our future generations?  Do the problems lie in the fact that we aren't teaching our minors the correct stuff, or we aren't teaching them enough?

So, what do you think?  How should the USA fix its education problem?  Or maybe you think its all peachy and we're doing fine.... your thoughts?

Last edited by Spearhead (2007-07-19 10:01:15)

KamakaziSparow
Time Traveling Salesman!
+8|6127|Somplace or Other
Well, it is in MA.
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
+145|6627|The View From The Afternoon
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6735|Dallas
Where is the option for "32"?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Varies a great deal from state to state.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6707|Salt Lake City

Well, I have been out of school for 20 years now, and since I have no kids in the system, I'm not sure exactly what it's like now.  When I was in school it wasn't that bad, but it easily could have gotten much worse in those 20 years.

I think out educational system needs to go back to more basics.  I'm not opposed to liberal arts type classes in school, but we need to first beef up the meat and potatoes of education, primarily math and science.  English and reading comprehension should be beefed up as well.  And I'm all for bringing back social studies so our students better understand how our government works.  I'd like to see them add basic finances to the list of requirements for graduation, so they had a better idea of what credit card debt can do to you, learn basic checking/savings account and money management skills.  Maybe even offer some higher end classes that teach retirement and personal wealth management/planning.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
They need to introduce more candelabras, burkas and crucifixes into the US school system.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6661|Tampa Bay Florida

Kmarion wrote:

What do you think of it here in Florida?  I gave it a 9, but I know its so much worse in poorer parts of the country.  It scares me, honestly.

Last edited by Spearhead (2007-07-19 10:12:08)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

They need to introduce more candelabras, burkas and crucifixes into the US school system.
We of course do have private schools for that .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire
I'm not going to vote as I'm not American and don't know enough about your education system ...but I will say this - your geography lessons could do with a little improvement
l41e
+677|6619

Braddock wrote:

I'm not going to vote as I'm not American and don't know enough about your education system ...but I will say this - your geography lessons could do with a little improvement
"Where's Asia? Is that in New York City?"
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6663|Calgary

CameronPoe wrote:

Church and education should be mutually exclusive
XeromeXWarrior
XeromeX = Zero-Sex?
+8|6109
10......for sure...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

k30dxedle wrote:

Braddock wrote:

That's not unlike some things I've heard American tourists actually say!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
3. I've only been enrolled in one school system () during my life and it was a public school. I've recieved an excellent education in my opinion but there are others who aren't too thrilled to be at school and tend to avoid taking it as a serious matter. A students will to learn has a certain effect on how much they are trying, whether or not they realize that school is helping to get them ready for the real world. Of course, I didn't exactly go to Ghettoville, USA so I musn't have a very complete picture on the extremes of the education system.
PureFodder
+225|6256

k30dxedle wrote:

Braddock wrote:

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

PureFodder wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Damn those people really hate Australia. Shifty-eyed penal colonists, eh?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Spearhead wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

What do you think of it here in Florida?  I gave it an 8, but I know its so much worse in poorer parts of the country.  It scares me, honestly.
Florida was really in the crapper a few years ago. Education is something that has turned around (Or at least made some improvement). It probably still lags behind others. I think a good portion has to do with Florida's rapid growth. Teachers and schools have been getting overwhelmed for some time now. But again it varies even locally. Some schools are great, some are just horrible. A responsible parent should check the grades the schools are getting (Fcats).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

PureFodder wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Oh my God! ...Anyone else troubled by the lack of people suggesting NOT to invade another country as part of the war on terror?

PS: I know not all Americans are as dumb as that, you can save your flames for later!
HURLEY
Ima Crunchatize you.
+170|6653|The Lou

Braddock wrote:

I was going to say just the rest of the world in general...

I haven't taken world history (will next year) but I am really thinking that it's mostly going to be WWI, WWII, Slavery, and some other stuff, but I think they need go more in depth with other wars... not necessarily ones with the U.S. involved. I would also say more present issues, but I'm pretty sure that's an elective.

Our education system isn't that bad, it's the kids choosing to not learn...
jonsimon
+224|6466
A public school classroom is suprisingly ineffecient. However, with that in mind, the public schooling system is suprisingly effecient. I give it a 3.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

Dunno much about US education system so I can't say anything about it really, though I do remember watching a news report here the other day here. People aged 18-23 in the UK didn't know what 1/8 of 32 was and a classroom full of 8 yr olds got it right.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6521|CH/BR - in UK

8 - I learned tons of maths in the USA, but all the other subjects fall behind in comparison with Switzerland or France...

-konfusion
confused
+10|6365|British Columbia
Once again the silly psychologists have messed things up.  Where grades and percentages used to be given and cirriculums were absolute, kids now learn at their own pace and nobody fails because that is bad for self esteem.  The students are rated not on the quality of their work but on the amount of work they convince their teachers they've done.

A child who wants to learn will.  A child who doesn't won't.  Parents can push their kids to do more than they would on their own.

I'll also blame AP.  Some, not all by any means, who take part shouldn't.  When I went to univeristy and started taking calculus, other students had done some in high school.  They often didn't have sufficient basic math to actually understand what they did in high school and weren't capable of absorbing the university level stuff.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

I think if you post a number you should post how you came to conclude it (experience/, data, etc). Just just by how wet your snatch got to news stories you heard.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-07-19 11:05:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard