kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland
Source

A Sunday afternoon of video game goodness turned deadly this past Sunday as a thirteen year-old boy fatally stabbed his sixteen year-old brother in the chest during an alleged dispute over who got next. The younger brother stabbed his sibling in the chest twice, puncturing his heart and a lung. A tragic situation like this could quickly turn into an anti-gaming media circus if handled incorrectly. Luckily Lansdowne has one of the more sensible Police Chiefs.

"I don't believe the actual game itself was the cause of it. I don't believe they were acting out in any way or mimicking anything in a video game. I believe it was actual use of the game and whose turn it was," said Lansdowne Police Chief Daniel Kortan.

It sounds like he phrased that response specifically to ward off a potential wave of violent video game outcry, doesn't it? It's nice to see that situations like this can be resolved without immediately tossing the blame on our favorite hobby.

Thirteen year-old Jahmir Ricks was arrested at the scene, tearfully confessing to police upon their arrival. He is being charged as an adult with murder in the first degree. Something failed in this situation that had absolutely nothing to do with video games. Normal people don't go from arguing over who gets to play a video game to murderous rage in the blink of an eye.
Pretty dramatic. I don't really know what to say. On the one hand, I can say "you just know this will affect how parents and the government react to games", but on the other hand, what he did was pretty cold.

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-07-18 06:19:51)

twiistaaa
+87|6657|mexico
its messed up. but i dont get what 'being charged as an adult' means. i mean isnt he by law a kid? how can he be charged different?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6554|Area 51
Kids and games..

wait I am a kid

rephrase:

13 year olds and games..
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland

twiistaaa wrote:

its messed up. but i dont get what 'being charged as an adult' means. i mean isnt he by law a kid? how can he be charged different?
There is a limit to what punishment a child can get. An adult has almost no limit to the punishment.
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6401|Belgium
He's a coldblooded killer in my opinion, it's not like it was self defense or anything. If he decides to take his brother's life over some stupid video game discussion then I presume a psychiatrist with hand puppets won't set him straight. Being tried as an adult may be a little bit over the top but I wouldn't let him off the hook by just sending him to juvenile hall.
Agradhan
+26|6268|Sweden
He can be executed for this in certain states. Imagine the family tragedy...
Dragonclaw
+186|6294|Florida
I doubt he will get the death penalty or life in prison. The outrage from certain "parties" would be huge. He probably will get out in 10-20 years.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland

[NeMe$i$.Dr4g0ncl4w] wrote:

I doubt he will get the death penalty or life in prison. The outrage from certain "parties" would be huge. He probably will get out in 10-20 years.
Still, that is his entire childhood and all his bachelor days!
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

leetkyle wrote:

[NeMe$i$.Dr4g0ncl4w] wrote:

Still, that is his entire childhood and all his bachelor days!
Perfect punishment, let him out when he's past it and can't enjoy life any more. And he'll have an ass like the Goatse dude

EDIT. spelling

Last edited by Buckles (2007-07-18 06:42:26)

znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6533|Sverige (SWE)
as i always say " It´s ONLY a game! "............

Last edited by znozer (2007-07-18 06:44:05)

Agradhan
+26|6268|Sweden
Personally i don't think this should go as far as prison. The kid would end up even more whacked...  Juvenile detention center for 1-2 years at most.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland

Agradhan wrote:

Personally i don't think this should go as far as prison. The kid would end up even more whacked...  Juvenile detention center for 1-2 years at most.
No way. He has anger issues, and there's no way that it would clear after a year or two. He didn't murder a stranger. He murdered his damn brother. There is no way I would ever consider even killing someone, let alone my brother.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6377|New York
The same thing could have happened over who would get to play with a toy next. The chief was right in saying that the video games had nothing to do with it, because they didn't.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6645|Brisbane, Australia

Looks like the game was, a killer.

</Run Begin-CSI-Episode.exe>
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6587|S.C.

Agradhan wrote:

Article wrote:

He is being charged as an adult with murder in the first degree
In Pennsylvania the death penalty is an available sentence in cases of first degree murder.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6183|Schofield Barracks

Agradhan wrote:

sumthin like that could tare the who family apart
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6725|Salt Lake City

They'll reduce the charges.  They are calling it first degree murder so they sound tough on crime.  The fact is, premeditation is a requirement for first degree murder.  From what I read, it doesn't sound like it was planned out.  Before it's said and done they'll have reduced the charge to second degree murder or manslaughter.
Ryan
+1,230|6832|Alberta, Canada

Where's the child-proof knives weaponry when you need it?
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6154|California

znozer wrote:

as i always say " It´s ONLY a game! "............
Exactly, which is why i dont understand why so many people get pissed off when someone is hacking or they're getting pwned "it's just a game..."

Last edited by weerdfoo1 (2007-07-18 08:00:23)

jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.
Since when is a 13 year old an adult?
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6645|Brisbane, Australia

jord wrote:

Since video gaming is the root of all evil.
Barney_T_Dinosaur
Time to Die Kids!
+41|6649
thats just crazy...he must have just flipped out or something, the worst part is now its over hes going to realise he killed his own brother thats got to be the worst punishment of all.  I seriously doubt they will give him a life sentence, i bet they will appeal about him being tried as an adult as well.

The worlds gone mad.
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6326
man i hate video games sometimes.

they just make u go crazy
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland

jord wrote:

Since you stopped reading the posts in threads before you posted.
jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.

leetkyle wrote:

jord wrote:

Since you stopped reading the posts in threads before you posted.
I read all the posts before I posted...

I'm just wondering who gets to decide that a 13 year old will be charged as an adult, but thanks for your comment.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard