8thward your in Brandon, Fl?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What have we learned from this thread?

A. The government is willing to spend more on a foreign country than an American city.
B. New Orleans, like Iraq, has been very expensive to rebuild.
C. Both Iraq and New Orleans are rife with poverty.
D. Authorities and businesses in both Iraq and New Orleans have been squandering the massive amounts of funds being thrown at each area.
E. Both areas are places that many people would prefer to leave behind.

So, in actuality, there really is a lot in common between the two situations.  The primary difference, however, is that Iraq's progress is being hindered by extremists, while New Orleans's progress is hindered by neglect and corruption.

While I would normally support the idea of focusing on aiding an American city over aiding a foreign country, I have to say that New Orleans looks like about as much of a waste of time, money, and effort as Iraq is, at least when you take into account the much smaller area of New Orleans.

As someone else pointed out, maybe we should take a hint and not rebuild a city in the same vulnerable area.  If your city is occasionally prone to hurricanes and depends heavily on levees, maybe you should move things upriver some.  Now would be the ideal time for it.

Of course, that makes too much common sense for people to be willing to follow it.
A. Shit you could have looked at Israel over the last 40 years and figured that out.
B. Wars and Hurricanes are both expensive... no brainier.
C. Yet they reelect Fuck up politicians like Nagin.
D.You know what the solution to wasteful spending? Blame the government for not spending enough.
E. Unless of course you live there.

You forgot to mention these similarities: IED's, secretarian violence, and locals driving chlorine filled car bombs into their neighbors  marketplace...
You must not have read the rest of my post.

Anyway, my point is that we're wasting money on both Iraq and New Orleans.  Let the people of New Orleans desert the city and find better lives elsewhere.

As for Iraq, you know my stance on that one already.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What have we learned from this thread?

A. The government is willing to spend more on a foreign country than an American city.
B. New Orleans, like Iraq, has been very expensive to rebuild.
C. Both Iraq and New Orleans are rife with poverty.
D. Authorities and businesses in both Iraq and New Orleans have been squandering the massive amounts of funds being thrown at each area.
E. Both areas are places that many people would prefer to leave behind.

So, in actuality, there really is a lot in common between the two situations.  The primary difference, however, is that Iraq's progress is being hindered by extremists, while New Orleans's progress is hindered by neglect and corruption.

While I would normally support the idea of focusing on aiding an American city over aiding a foreign country, I have to say that New Orleans looks like about as much of a waste of time, money, and effort as Iraq is, at least when you take into account the much smaller area of New Orleans.

As someone else pointed out, maybe we should take a hint and not rebuild a city in the same vulnerable area.  If your city is occasionally prone to hurricanes and depends heavily on levees, maybe you should move things upriver some.  Now would be the ideal time for it.

Of course, that makes too much common sense for people to be willing to follow it.
A. Shit you could have looked at Israel over the last 40 years and figured that out.
B. Wars and Hurricanes are both expensive... no brainier.
C. Yet they reelect Fuck up politicians like Nagin.
D.You know what the solution to wasteful spending? Blame the government for not spending enough.
E. Unless of course you live there.

You forgot to mention these similarities: IED's, secretarian violence, and locals driving chlorine filled car bombs into their neighbors  marketplace...
You must not have read the rest of my post.

Anyway, my point is that we're wasting money on both Iraq and New Orleans.  Let the people of New Orleans desert the city and find better lives elsewhere.

As for Iraq, you know my stance on that one already.
I was with you on everything up to abandoning New O.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
Well, as Pug mentioned, plenty of communities throughout America have taken in the people of New Orleans.  Let them forge destinies in other areas without sucking up our tax money as much.  It's much cheaper and more effective to give them some income to temporarily live off of in other areas than it is to rebuild a periodically doomed city.

No need for new levees with plenty of high elevation or low risk communities to pick from.
8thward
+2|6206|New Orleans,La

Kmarion wrote:

8thward your in Brandon, Fl?
Yes i am. And Ray Nagin isn't corrupt hes no politician he was running the local cable company in New Orleans b4 he was elected as mayor so he doesn't know what hes doing
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

Well at least some victims spent the little money they got wisely...

"In other instances, recipients improperly used their debit cards intended for food and shelter for $400 massages, a $450 tattoo, a $1,100 diamond engagement ring, and $150 worth of products at ''Condoms to Go."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi … e_rampant/
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2005 wrote:

"In other instances, recipients improperly used their debit cards intended for food and shelter for $400 massages, a $450 tattoo, a $1,100 diamond engagement ring, and $150 worth of products at ''Condoms to Go."

Yeah, I remember that.  Add to that the fact that so many people trashed the FEMA trailers they were using, and I find myself a bit closer to siding with the people who want to abolish welfare....
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6483|P-way, NJ
Bush made Katrina because he hates black people....
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

New O is a very important port. I think if Jack 2 pans out (Possibly 15 billion barels of oil)  the tax burden would easily be justified. New O is the nations natural gas and energy hub. So if American culture doesn't sell you maybe being more energy independent will. I don't think you will have to worry about the taxes Turq. Your moving to Canada right?...lol

I asked 8th because or IP's are almost identical. Your on Road Runner also.

https://i13.tinypic.com/4l8bt77.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

Kmarion wrote:

http://i13.tinypic.com/4l8bt77.jpg
He is your next door neighbor.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

New O is a very important port. I think if Jack 2 pans out (Possibly 15 billion barels of oil)  the tax burden would easily be justified. New O is the nations natural gas and energy hub. So if America culture doesn't sell you maybe being more energy independent will. I don't think you will have to worry about the taxes Turq. Your moving to Canada right?...lol
Good points...  I hadn't thought of the energy independence thing...

Here's a question though: it has already been estimated that it would be cheaper to rebuild New Orleans further upriver and dredge the bay up to it than it is to rebuild the city in the same area and improve the levees to handle a Category 5 hurricane.

Why the fuck didn't we take the cheaper and safer route of moving upriver?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

New O is a very important port. I think if Jack 2 pans out (Possibly 15 billion barels of oil)  the tax burden would easily be justified. New O is the nations natural gas and energy hub. So if America culture doesn't sell you maybe being more energy independent will. I don't think you will have to worry about the taxes Turq. Your moving to Canada right?...lol
Good points...  I hadn't thought of the energy independence thing...

Here's a question though: it has already been estimated that it would be cheaper to rebuild New Orleans further upriver and dredge the bay up to it than it is to rebuild the city in the same area and improve the levees to handle a Category 5 hurricane.

Why the fuck didn't we take the cheaper and safer route of moving upriver?
I agree, but in money and politics they play the odds. With the predicted population growth we need to learn how to build smarter.

usmarine2005 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

http://i13.tinypic.com/4l8bt77.jpg
He is your next door neighbor.
He could be .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
8thward
+2|6206|New Orleans,La
I'm using Brighthouse but not roadrunner
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

8thward wrote:

Brighthouse owns Road Runner. The bottom IP is yours.

Beep Beep...
http://tampabay.mybrighthouse.com/produ … rview.aspx
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

Kmarion wrote:

8thward wrote:

Brighthouse owns Road Runner. The bottom IP is yours.
Internet nazi
8thward
+2|6206|New Orleans,La
I didnt install the roadrunner cd is what im saying
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

8thward wrote:

I didnt install the roadrunner cd is what im saying
lol.. They still give those out. Needless to say you don't need it. I wonder what the hell is on it. Anyways sorry for the derail Sergie.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
xfirestormx
+0|6127
uh oh! someone actually from new orleans!? you didnt know more than one of us had the internet did you (8thward + me = more than one. i dunno the exact figure)? gatorman sent me this link, and ive found a lot of what you guys have to say interesting. now, some people have it right, some people have it somewhat right, and some people are just wrong. read the following post to see what category you belong in. some of it is just opinion, i know, but i think that some facts need to be straightened out. i am dividing my post into sections of questions you may have so that it is clear and i address as many issues as coherently as possible.

WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY TELLING US ALL THIS?
i am from new orleans, i've lived there my whole life. i am white (some people have wanted to know in the past? not really relevant in my opinion, but whatever). right now im going to college out of state (in the northeast US) mainly because its something ive always wanted to do, hurricane or no. the first things i want to address are the "these people want hand outs" bit of... well, nonsense that some people are tossing around. honestly, a lot of it is pretty far off. obviously, there are some individuals that do just want money to buy drugs / cars / jewelry with the money they get from the government and then want more. however my parents are the opposite of those people, and they are not getting what they deserve.

WHO WAS AFFECTED?
maybe some of you might want to say "well his parents should just work hard to get their shit back" or "they should move some place else". the bottom line is that that argument is nonsense. i will give you a little bit of context: my mom grew up in the projects with one parent raising her and her brother, and managed to get through school and graduate in the top of her class in college. my dad, originally from the western US (but lived most of his life in louisiana), was one of 6 kids and paid his own way to get through (very expensive) college at tulane (one of the best colleges in the united states, located in new orleans). they worked very very hard to get where they were. the reason i tell you this is not because i think they deserve an award or some bullshit like that. i do, however, think they deserve what they had though, and they havent nearly gotten it back. and there are thousands of people like them, who are in the same boat. the point is: these are the kinds of people who need aid. my parents are at an advantage compared to most other people, and still my parents are struggling to recover, even 2 years later.

WHY DID THEY DESERVE MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE?
for one thing, many of us had insurance. my parents had insurance, most of the people i know had insurance, so obviously we deserved insurance money. also, the evacuation was mandatory, which means that if you are able to get out, you must (80% of the city was evacuated. considering all of the poor people that couldnt get out... thats pretty good). that means that fema, if there is an emergency and you cannot return to your home, will supply you with the adequate funds to continue living out of state for as long as you are displaced (pending review of your circumstances). they do this because, even though your house was damaged, you are still obligated to pay your house notes, loans, and taxes on your property.

WHY DO NEW ORLEANS CITIZENS WANT MORE MONEY?
flood protection insurance is only offered in new orleans by the federal government. this is to ensure that the insurance companies dont go bankrupt giving out all the checks to cover all the damages, but instead, the government takes the hit for it and is able to adequately cover the damages. the only problem? flood insurance has a ceiling of 200,000 dollars. so, unfortunately, my parents house (and just about everyone else's house) was not adequately covered. now, normally this wouldnt be a problem for hurricanes, because a hurricane (like some of you so smartly pointed out ) is more than just flooding. it involves strong wind and lightening and so on. so everyone was covered by their home owner's insurance for all that stuff, right? guess again. the insurance companies claimed (and still claim) that the only damage to the city that was done was in fact flood damage, and we would have to take it up with the government. that, obviously, is nonsense. whenever a storm hits, there is strong wind, a storm surge (like a tidal wave in a way), and heavy rain. it is IMPOSSIBLE to think that our homes were unscathed by the heavy winds.

besides the reason of insurance, many of the people qualify for government aid because they are STILL displaced. they have nowhere to live in new orleans, so to say they are freeloading off the system? thats absurd. their homes, which they are still paying taxes for are unable to be lived in. they have to be torn down and rebuilt. many people do not have the adequate funds to do so because the labor is now more expensive and their property is now worth a whole lot less.

WHY DO THEY WANT TO MOVE BACK? WHY DONT THEY MOVE BACK?
people want to move back because of various reasons. for one thing, many people identify with new orleans because its their home. its a very different city. if youve never been there, you probably dont know what i mean, but it is a whole different attitude. there is a rich cultural heritage and most of the people there are great. its very easy going, not like the hectic northeast or texas or anything like that. the food is great, the buildings are beautiful, the artwork, the parks and surrounding swamps -- all beautiful things and places to see. and new orleans people do like to party (this is coming from me, a person who doesnt drink. im the real minority in new orleans haha). its just a very unique place that people love. people arent moving back because they cant. lower income families dont have the money and their houses are gone (yes, STILL). they want the city to be fixed so that they are moving back to a city that was better than it was before. not to mention that their kids' schools are probably closed and they dont have transportation to drive them back and forth to the new school, 6-10 miles away. or, if you want to talk about middle class people like my parents, they are just trying to get back what was theirs -- valuable property that they have worked hard to gain and a safe home to live in. either way, these are honest people who deserve help. you dont see them on the news because no one wants to see it, there is no demand for it.

WHY DID THE LEVEES BREAK?
well, despite what you may have heard on the news or from the head of the army corps of engineers, they just werent made correctly. they survived the storm, and our city was fine, but broke after the fact. basically they drastically needed to be updated and werent. they were ticking time bombs and we paid the price for it. the levees we had were made from pilings that were half the length they should have been. the jefferson parish side (the rich white part of new orleans) was surprisingly unharmed by the broken levees because theirs were updated and made correctly. imagine that. in any case, of course the head of the army corps of engineers is going to say that they were built correctly and that the "flooding would have occurred anyway". you see, its called LYING. people usually do it when there is a class action lawsuit coming their way (seriously). its basically a tactic to cover your own ass. "the city would have flood anyway" as in 2-4 feet. not 18 feet like my friend's house had. also, the levees didnt break just in the poor sections of town, it was in the 9th ward (industrial canal levee broke. a rather poor neighborhood) and another section (17th street canal), where i lived (predominantly middle class section of town). both parts were hit badly and both are struggling to recover.

WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THE NEW ORLEANS GOVERNMENT BEING SO CORRUPT?
basically the blame lies with the politicians. not the people electing them. why? well, one time we got a choice between a known corrupt politician (former governor edwards) and a neo nazi... guess which one we chose. every politician, black or white, has messed up our system more and more. morial (the black mayor before nagin) was under investigation. not to mention we have "brother in-law" deals going on all over the place ever since i can remember. we basically have no choice in electing government officials. every chance they get they screw us. people elected nagin because his opponent was the grandson (i believe?) of a not so popular louisiana governor. i dont know too much about it, so i wont go into whether or not it was the lesser of two evils.

WHY WAS NEW ORLEANS LIKE IT WAS BEFORE THE STORM?
two words: public education. basically, in new orleans, its shit. its worth nothing, and it shows. also, our politicians being corrupt and paying relatives of theirs to fix the roofs of the area public schools ("fix" actually means "paint and then charge millions of dollars for it") doesnt help much. new orleans police were and still are very crooked and very disrespectful to citizens. i know several people unconstitutionally searched, imprisoned, beaten, etc etc. to be honest, the only thing that scares me more than the criminals are the pigs. oh, whoops! i cant believe i actually said it either. in any case: i wonder why there is a mutually recognized war going on between the criminals and the police force. maybe its because there is no actual rehabilitation going on and police are / were wrongly imprisoning and accosting people on a daily basis. and our politicians only get us jobs / federal money if they get a cut of it.

WHO'S FAULT IS IT ULTIMATELY?
this is where it gets a little scary. basically... almost everyone. the whole country failed, and it is quite evident. the insurance companies didnt pay, the federal government didnt build the levees correctly, the local government didnt carry out the correct plans and has been corrupt for some time, and in the past 20 years new orleans has been ignored by the entire country except when people get the opportunity to use our city as a giant f**king toilet. its the corrupt politicians, its the corrupt police, its the drug dealers and criminals, its george bush, its the people coming into our city to do our jobs, sucking the money out of state. it is everyone, and the problem is, no one has stepped up to fix it. does george bush care more about iraqis then people from new orleans? yeah probably. too bad that puts him in the same boat as the rest of this damn country.

my motivation for writing that novel ^ is not for myself. i lost all my stuff but thankfully kept my friends and family. im very grateful for that. but you have to understand, these honest people deserve help from the government and everyone, just like the 9-11 victims and our veterans deserve help if they need it. they are depressed and suffering and struggling because of this, all the while being called criminals and idiots for not moving somewhere else. every place has its vulnerabilities and every place can be destroyed. it seems that we are the only ones being ridiculed for it though. i just dont think people understand the state of depression that we are in. its truly horrible, but we refuse to give up on our home, and we refuse to be persuaded that we should, because we need what is ours and what is promised to us as US citizens -- protection and aid. not a turned back. we've been wanting it since long before katrina, but now we need it.

p.s. some of you -- check your statistics... they arent right. for example -- half the city wasnt below the poverty line? uhh.. haha thats just inaccurate. i mean we were very poor, but still, thats not correct. not the only statistic that i thought was off, but thats one i remember.

Last edited by xfirestormx (2007-07-18 23:15:13)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

What's your homeowners insurance like? I wonder how it compares to Florida.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6541|Texas - Bigger than France

8thward wrote:

BN wrote:

Pug wrote:

Did you know that there was 1.4 million people in Greater New Orleans (includes the delta) before, and there is 1.2 million now?  So a 14% population reduction after one of the worst disasters to hit the US?
200K left when they heard richard simmons was coming there to do a tv special. FACT.
Pug where did u get that lie from theres maybe half the population in the city at most
Greater New Orleans = metro & the delta.

Metro NO = 50-60% of pre-Katrina pop.  Pretty much makes up the 200k missing.
xfirestormx
+0|6127

Kmarion wrote:

What's your homeowners insurance like? I wonder how it compares to Florida.
im not sure, i know my parents were adequately covered for the cost of the house, but were unable to get it because the insurance companies dodging bullets so to speak. they have a new road home program that is supposed to help people in this situation, but there are many strings attached and they are screwing everyone they can. the horror stories i hear are unbelievable. im not even going through it and its stressing me out. i feel bad for the people trying to get their homes back, it really sucks.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Well ever since the 2004 season our rates have been insane (No thanks to Crist). The insurance companies don't mind coming in and covering the lucrative automotive market, but they still don't want to touch homeowners. Between that and property taxes some of us have had our mortgages double. It's out of control.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Yeah, I remember that.  Add to that the fact that so many people trashed the FEMA trailers they were using, and I find myself a bit closer to siding with the people who want to abolish welfare....
Welcome brother!! Step over here for the initiation ceromony. We force liberals into springing for dinner, WITH THEIR OWN MONEY!! MMMMMMMWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6541|Texas - Bigger than France
Here's a nice article

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 … ding_x.htm

And to firestorm - the 50% proverty stat is from the guy I work with, who relocated after Katrina.  And based on the link following, and the fact I haven't been there since 92 is seems the city has changed quite a bit.  Apologies.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22071.html

More stats, focused on the 9th ward, in where the lady in the NY Times article is from
http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives … wards.html

Here's some commentary about whether businesses will return, and the general culture of NO
http://www.city-journal.org/html/15_4_new_orleans.html
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina
“Americans want the Gulf Coast not just to survive, but to thrive; not just to cope, but to overcome, We want evacuees to come home, for the best of reasons — because they have a real chance at a better life in a place they love.” GWB Sept. 15, 2005

8thward wrote:

Well I'm from New Orleans and theres nothing to go back for i didn't get no help from nobody not even the state that I'm in now Florida New Orleans is still a mess the murder rate tops in the world why i have no idea when theres the NOPD the Military Police State Troopers and the FEDS in the city me for 1 will not go back

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard