GATOR591957
+84|6619

Pubic wrote:

Instead of giving heaps of money to the refugees, why not build stuff that'll help them get out of the poverty that existed prior to Katrina?
How about instead of putting all the money the put into trailers that are still sitting empty, put it into education grants.  You know the Chinese proverb: “Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.”
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636

Pug wrote:

Sgt.Kyle wrote:

I mean the weather channel did tell them like a week earlier to leave. Some of them waiting to the last minute and they paid the price.
Not that this is the norm, but the guy in my office said that the newscast the night before said Katrina was going to miss them.  They got a phone call a 4:30 and left 2 hrs later.

When it doesn't happen a lot, you kind of think it's never gonna happen.  That's pretty much why the public voted against improving the levees.
I thought the Bush administration reduced the funding to the Army Corps of Engineers for levee improvement on its own?
GATOR591957
+84|6619

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Pug wrote:

Sgt.Kyle wrote:

I mean the weather channel did tell them like a week earlier to leave. Some of them waiting to the last minute and they paid the price.
Not that this is the norm, but the guy in my office said that the newscast the night before said Katrina was going to miss them.  They got a phone call a 4:30 and left 2 hrs later.

When it doesn't happen a lot, you kind of think it's never gonna happen.  That's pretty much why the public voted against improving the levees.
I thought the Bush administration reduced the funding to the Army Corps of Engineers for levee improvement on its own?
The Army Corps of Engineers requested 142.7 million and received 41.5 million for New Orleans flood control. FY 2006.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

GATOR591957 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Pug wrote:

The Army Corps of Engineers requested 142.7 million and received 41.5 million for New Orleans flood control. FY 2006.
They are five year plans though right? 2006 through 2010.
https://i10.tinypic.com/5x65m52.jpg
http://www.aapa-ports.org/files/PDFs/co … arplan.pdf

In fact they have said themselves that funding was not an issue.

"WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday that a lack of funding for hurricane-protection projects around New Orleans did not contribute to the disastrous flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina."

"I don't see that the level of funding was really a contributing factor in this case," said Lt. Gen. Carl Strock, chief of engineers for the corps. "Had this project been fully complete, it is my opinion that based on the intensity of this storm that the flooding of the business district and the French Quarter would have still taken place."

Funding for these projects has generally trended downward since at least the last years of the Clinton administration. Congressional records show that the levee work on Lake Pontchartrain received $23 million in 1998 and $16 million in 1999. It was not clear how much the drainage project received in 1998, but records show it received $75 million in 1999.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca … i-news-hed
Xbone Stormsurgezz
GATOR591957
+84|6619
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati … 3346.story

HURRICANE-PROTECTION PROJECTS
Flood-control funds short of requests

By Andrew Martin and Andrew Zajac
Washington Bureau
Published September 1, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Despite continuous warnings that a catastrophic hurricane could hit New Orleans, the Bush administration and Congress in recent years have repeatedly denied full funding for hurricane preparation and flood control.

That has delayed construction of levees around the city and stymied an ambitious project to improve drainage in New Orleans' neighborhoods.

For instance, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers requested $27 million for this fiscal year to pay for hurricane-protection projects around Lake Pontchartrain. The Bush administration countered with $3.9 million, and Congress eventually provided $5.7 million, according to figures provided by the office of U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.).

Because of the shortfalls, which were caused in part by the rising costs of the war in Iraq, the corps delayed seven contracts that included enlarging the levees, according to corps documents.

Last edited by GATOR591957 (2007-07-18 15:17:32)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina
I think you are missing the most important point.  American citizens from NO are having a real tough time and nobody seems to care about them.  Kmarion you are bringing numbers and projections, these people are suffering since 2005 coz of this.  I can't believe the federal government couldn't solve their problems, despite if the government of Louisiana sucks.  And most documentaries I saw and the articles I read show that there was a lack of funds.  Who's lying?  And how can people say "it's their problem, those people were told to leave a week before, but the bastards stayed".
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

GATOR591957 wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0509010170sep01,1,5853346.story
Thanks but I think I will listen listen to the chief of engineers for the corps rather than a A Democrat in Louisiana trying to blame Bush.
"Strock also denied that escalating costs from the war in Iraq contributed to reductions in funding for hurricane projects in Louisiana, as some critics have suggested. Records show that corps funding for the Louisiana projects has generally decreased in recent years."

Which war was Clinton fighting we he cut the funding to the levee's? Bush was following the trend Clinton had laid down. Which is  kinda like what Clinton did to the intelligence agencies when he followed Bush Sr.'s trend of cut backs.  But lets be honest, none of it matters since the the Corp.(The guys doing the work) acknowledge that funding was not an issue and the flooding would have happened anyways. Nothing they could have done within reason would have stopped the flooding. Mother Nature is a bitch of a whore.

sergeriver wrote:

I think you are missing the most important point.  American citizens from NO are having a real tough time and nobody seems to care about them.  Kmarion you are bringing numbers and projections, these people are suffering since 2005 coz of this.  I can't believe the federal government couldn't solve their problems, despite if the government of Louisiana sucks.  And most documentaries I saw and the articles I read show that there was a lack of funds.  Who's lying?  And how can people say "it's their problem, those people were told to leave a week before, but the bastards stayed".
Serge you are suggesting that they have been completely abandoned and that is simply not the case. The disaster area was the size of Great Britain, it's going to take a bit longer to rebuild. It's more complex than throwing money at the problem as fast as you can. Otherwise you get crap like this.

AP wrote:

But an Associated Press analysis of government data obtained under the federal Freedom of Information Act suggests the government might not have been careful enough with its checkbook as it gave out nearly $5.3 billion in aid to storm victims. The analysis found the government regularly gave money to more homes in some neighborhoods than the number of homes that actually existed.

The pattern was repeated in nearly 100 neighborhoods damaged by the hurricanes. At least 162,750 homes that didn’t exist before the storms may have received a total of more than $1 billion in improper or illegal payments, the AP found.
If you truly think that Americans do not care about what happened in New Orleans than I can honestly say you are clueless to what we have done to try and support them. Even the evil corporations chipped in. You say "despite the government of Louisiana sucks". Mismanagement has much to do with their suffering still today. You are cherry picking in your attempt to hold someone accountable. It was a Natural Disaster, don't degrade the genrosisty and compassion by making it political.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

If you truly think that Americans do not care about what happened in New Orleans than I can honestly say you are clueless to what we have done to try and support them. Even the evil corporations chipped in. You say "despite the government of Louisiana sucks". Mismanagement has much to do with their suffering still today. You are cherry picking in your attempt to hold someone accountable. It was a Natural Disaster, don't degrade the genrosisty and compassion by making it political.
Where did I say that Americans didn't care about NO.  I said that GWB seems more concerned about what's going on in Iraq than in NO.  You are accusing me wrongly of saying things I didn't say.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6195

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.
Exactly what?  I didn't say what he said.  Read the whole thread or go away.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Where did I say that Americans didn't care about NO.  I said that GWB seems more concerned about what's going on in Iraq than in NO.  You are accusing me wrongly of saying things I didn't say.
When you said nobody seems to care.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Nobody aka the federal government, sorry.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Nobody aka the federal government, sorry.
Yes Politicians are self serving. In fact that is precisely why the funds began to flow. The Administration was trying to keep face after FEMA's fumbling of the response (Or at least perceived response times). Unfortunately like I said it takes much more than cash administrate relief.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

sergeriver wrote:

Does GWB care more about Iraqis than people from New Orleans?
If that's true, would that make America less selfish than popularly-depicted?
EVieira
+105|6471|Lutenblaag, Molvania

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Does GWB care more about Iraqis than people from New Orleans?
If that's true, would that make America less selfish than popularly-depicted?
No, that would make for really screwed up goverment priorities.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
8thward
+2|6199|New Orleans,La
Well I'm from New Orleans and theres nothing to go back for i didn't get no help from nobody not even the state that I'm in now Florida New Orleans is still a mess the murder rate tops in the world why i have no idea when theres the NOPD the Military Police State Troopers and the FEDS in the city me for 1 will not go back
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
you forgot about Blackwater
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638

[NeMe$i$.Dr4g0ncl4w] wrote:

As Tupac said, "They got money for wars but cant feed the poor"
yup I agree the government does not care about helping people all they care about is power, if he cared at all about people you would see him at peace corps promoting peace, donating money to charity and stuff like that.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
What have we learned from this thread?

A. The government is willing to spend more on a foreign country than an American city.
B. New Orleans, like Iraq, has been very expensive to rebuild.
C. Both Iraq and New Orleans are rife with poverty.
D. Authorities and businesses in both Iraq and New Orleans have been squandering the massive amounts of funds being thrown at each area.
E. Both areas are places that many people would prefer to leave behind.

So, in actuality, there really is a lot in common between the two situations.  The primary difference, however, is that Iraq's progress is being hindered by extremists, while New Orleans's progress is hindered by neglect and corruption.

While I would normally support the idea of focusing on aiding an American city over aiding a foreign country, I have to say that New Orleans looks like about as much of a waste of time, money, and effort as Iraq is, at least when you take into account the much smaller area of New Orleans.

As someone else pointed out, maybe we should take a hint and not rebuild a city in the same vulnerable area.  If your city is occasionally prone to hurricanes and depends heavily on levees, maybe you should move things upriver some.  Now would be the ideal time for it.

Of course, that makes too much common sense for people to be willing to follow it.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6760

Pug wrote:

Did you know that there was 1.4 million people in Greater New Orleans (includes the delta) before, and there is 1.2 million now?  So a 14% population reduction after one of the worst disasters to hit the US?
200K left when they heard richard simmons was coming there to do a tv special. FACT.
8thward
+2|6199|New Orleans,La

BN wrote:

Pug wrote:

Did you know that there was 1.4 million people in Greater New Orleans (includes the delta) before, and there is 1.2 million now?  So a 14% population reduction after one of the worst disasters to hit the US?
200K left when they heard richard simmons was coming there to do a tv special. FACT.
Pug where did u get that lie from theres maybe half the population in the city at most
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
Yeah, I had heard that only about half of the city returned.  Granted, I heard that about 6 months ago.

Maybe things have improved?...
8thward
+2|6199|New Orleans,La

Turquoise wrote:

Yeah, I had heard that only about half of the city returned.  Granted, I heard that about 6 months ago.

Maybe things have improved?...
No
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

What have we learned from this thread?

A. The government is willing to spend more on a foreign country than an American city.
B. New Orleans, like Iraq, has been very expensive to rebuild.
C. Both Iraq and New Orleans are rife with poverty.
D. Authorities and businesses in both Iraq and New Orleans have been squandering the massive amounts of funds being thrown at each area.
E. Both areas are places that many people would prefer to leave behind.

So, in actuality, there really is a lot in common between the two situations.  The primary difference, however, is that Iraq's progress is being hindered by extremists, while New Orleans's progress is hindered by neglect and corruption.

While I would normally support the idea of focusing on aiding an American city over aiding a foreign country, I have to say that New Orleans looks like about as much of a waste of time, money, and effort as Iraq is, at least when you take into account the much smaller area of New Orleans.

As someone else pointed out, maybe we should take a hint and not rebuild a city in the same vulnerable area.  If your city is occasionally prone to hurricanes and depends heavily on levees, maybe you should move things upriver some.  Now would be the ideal time for it.

Of course, that makes too much common sense for people to be willing to follow it.
A. Shit you could have looked at Israel over the last 40 years and figured that out.
B. Wars and Hurricanes are both expensive... no brainier.
C. Yet they reelect Fuck up politicians like Nagin.
D.You know what the solution to wasteful spending? Blame the government for not spending enough.
E. Unless of course you live there.

You forgot to mention these similarities: IED's, secretarian violence, and locals driving chlorine filled car bombs into their neighbors  marketplace...
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6475|P-way, NJ

Pug wrote:

Sgt.Kyle wrote:

And he didn't turn to the weather channel? Not like the hurricane was a cat 1 or anything...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard