Network adapter(lan card)-
speakers-
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra
you will run everything on high with max aa and af no probs
S4INT05
+1|6723|79605, TX
yes. no shit you will. i scored a 5100 after everything fixed...you will pwn.
OUROBOROS
+0|6751
still would recommend 7800's
and 2 WD raptors instead of the maxtors would be icing.
youre already going pretty far with the specs why not just go all the way?
for some of people a good sound card gives them a small frame boost too.

hope you get good deals on all your buys!
timboon
+2|6709
hi i am also building a new pc but my budget is a little lower wanting to spend about $700 AUS
cpu = AMD 64 3200
mboard= Asus A8N5X
video card = Radeon X800 GT
probably going to need a new hard drive and RAM but still deciding. any suggestions? how good will this system be?
thanks

Last edited by timboon (2005-12-20 02:48:48)

OUROBOROS
+0|6751
the radeons arent worth the price.

Last edited by OUROBOROS (2005-12-20 02:47:52)

Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6717
Nivida all the way
timboon
+2|6709
well you have to be a little more specific if i go for nvidea then what card? it has to fit into the price range of $200 - $300 AUS because i cant really afford anything more.
S4INT05
+1|6723|79605, TX

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

Nivida all the way
for sure. 6800's and 7800's own.
ESPECIALY the 7800 512Mb cards. *nuts pants*

Raptors over Maxtors. install RAID as well. i've got Maxtors, but my HD's are old. next investment: some Raptors.

Go Asus, my board ain't worth a shit.
timboon
+2|6709
so a nvidia 6800 is much better than a x800 gt?? how much is the card in AUS$
RAS_ace10
+12|6745
it worth about $1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
timboon
+2|6709
thanks dylan i feel u really helped me here
S4INT05
+1|6723|79605, TX
aus? who the fuck knows. i live in us and bought it it new for $380 bucks from best buy. google it and find the conversion.

that was BEFORE the 7800 was even released.
psychotoxic187
+11|6702
I wish people would quit saying ATI is not worth it. Find the best deal on whatever card you want, you can't go wrong with either brand. The x850xtpe outperforms all the Nvidia's under the 7800gt. Also, I would recommend the AMD 4000+, as it's not that much more than the 3800+.
mpec82
+-1|6714
change maxtor with western digital or seagate
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6814
If you want big bang for the buck - try to find a Connect3D 800GTO or SappireGTO2 - it uses the R480 (X850XT) core and you can overclock the crap out of it.
X800 GTO and GTO² to X850 XT Mod
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6745|Leipzig/Germany
before the latest patch i would have said you can run the game with everything in high modus - but after it you better tune the settings down to medium :-/
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra

timboon wrote:

so a nvidia 6800 is much better than a x800 gt?? how much is the card in AUS$
i paid 360 for mine about 2 months ago now on ebay
MrSuave
+0|6815

OUROBOROS wrote:

7800 isnt needed for bf2..a 6800gt would be fine and still be able to play on high...
a 10krpm raptor is no better than a 7.2k rpm HDD  becuase the end user wont be able to tell the diference..and in some test the 7200 rpm did better than a raptor...
how would a sound card give frame boost?

the x800 is the best card for its price range.... both ATI and Nvidia are great companies
psychotoxic187
+11|6702
a 10krpm raptor is no better than a 7.2k rpm HDD  becuase the end user wont be able to tell the diference..and in some test the 7200 rpm did better than a raptor...

The seek time on a raptor drive is about half the time it is on a 7200rpm drive. I would also like to see these tests you referring to. A sound card boosts performance by freeing up resources, and taking strains off your motherboard and processor.
Maj.Do
+85|6745|good old CA
wait for the x1900XT.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6726|Singapore
I cant buy 7800gtx cause i am on a budget:P
OUROBOROS
+0|6751

MrSuave wrote:

OUROBOROS wrote:

7800 isnt needed for bf2..a 6800gt would be fine and still be able to play on high...

the x800 is the best card for its price range.... both ATI and Nvidia are great companies
7800s because if youre gonna go big then go as for as you can. the price break is relatively better if youre going from 6800s to 7800. you will result in better gameplay during all the games of the next cycle before you hit the next pricing level of the ~$700s. if youre going budget then you want the best price to power ratio which is definately the 6800gt range. all ati cards on competitive levels are priced higher then their counter parts or is valued at a power level in between 2 nvidias levels. this makes their pricing abominable. unless you get a really good deal, the price/power ratio sucks.

buying a just good enough to play current market game card if the worst thing you can do. until the next gpu cycle comes out you are going to play all games at moderate and the consecutively lower standards. but you just blewa chunk of cash on a card thats already being cycled out. might as well get a cheaper card that can play the games at moderate levels anyways and save the cash for the next gen card (youre gonna have to get a new card anyways no matter what card you buy under performace level). just get enough to tide you over. it wont be great gamplay either way.

the best price/performance you can get, the longer the card will actually last for its class. youre wasting money if you get top of the line like XTs or GTXs. extra 10 frames for 50 bucks is not really worth it.

the whole point of a raptor you want speed and reliability. if youre getting raptors youre more likely to raid them. speed is critical. not space. having 2 raptors with fast seek time in raid drops your access times substancially. what does this mean? FIRST IN GAME EVERYTIME

besides raptors are built for speed. thats why they come in odd capacities like 36 and 74. the zone density is maximized for speed not for space. that is why they can run on 10k rpm with no hiccups.

you say that maxtors are faster. well that can be true too but that depends on the type of transfer. if you have on large file thast defragmented and runnign sequential data and with the right hardware and drivers then yes maxtors can deliver that file faster it can just push of the data stream straight out from 7200rpm. but what if you read 2 files? read while write? theres a multitude of conditions. and thast jsut platter speed. you still have to consider burst speed, cache, number of platter. not to mention if its using CAV/CLV/P-CAV/C-CAV all which is not worth going into.

games load multiple files. mutilple files waste seek time. more files more seek time. makes RPM a moot point.
when you see battlefield load and the majority of the time spent loading is hashing whats in mem youll understand. and that is practically a cpu limited operation. hell you cant even get a piss of before its done loading.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard