maverick749
+2|6360|New England
I have a good computer with a 8800GT and play with high setting but 2142 seems slower at almost everything from moving to selecting with scroll and the time it take to display and use them such as nades and guns. Is this just part of the game? Do you guys notice this when coming from BF2?

Furthermore, previouslly I was using a 7800GT in BF2 and when I upgraded to a 8800GT 320MB, I didn't notice really any performance gain? Is it that the 8800GT was desighned for DX10 and isn't being used to it full potentiol? So it is just like the previouse serios but just more memory?
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6607|Michigan, USA
With the 8 series your more or less paying for DX10 unless you go to the higher end card(expensive)  Most of the 7 series are similar in performence if not out perform lower end 8 series.

As for 2142, I actually feel it runs smoother then BF2, so I cant really compare.

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-07-14 22:30:05)

Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6246|United Kingdom
i think it's smoother in bf2 ... i can't have my settings as high in 2142 and get serious lag if titans are close
Buzerk1
+44|6847
Getting lag when Titan are close as nothing to do with your computer (well may be a little)... When Titan are close and 2 guys shoot at each other with the Titan gun.... it always creates lag for everyone...

And to answer the question, actually I felt the game looks better... as far lag/smoothnest I a never lag on big servers which did happenned on BF2. Is it a server issue again? May be.

Last edited by Buzerk1 (2007-07-15 07:22:28)

Fearmesnipers
+41|6456|Wales
bad game
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6497|UK

maverick749 wrote:

I have a good computer with a 8800GT and play with high setting but 2142 seems slower at almost everything from moving to selecting with scroll and the time it take to display and use them such as nades and guns. Is this just part of the game? Do you guys notice this when coming from BF2?

Furthermore, previouslly I was using a 7800GT in BF2 and when I upgraded to a 8800GT 320MB, I didn't notice really any performance gain? Is it that the 8800GT was desighned for DX10 and isn't being used to it full potentiol? So it is just like the previouse serios but just more memory?
same with me, i run both games maxed out and bf2 is much smoother, 90+ fps all the time, yet 2142 (with 80+ fps) just feels less responsive, laggy and generally shit
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria
I think 90% of BF2142 problems stem from the titans.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6576|Area 51
BF2142 is a more slower paced game.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6592|SE London

r2zoo wrote:

With the 8 series your more or less paying for DX10 unless you go to the higher end card(expensive)  Most of the 7 series are similar in performence if not out perform lower end 8 series.

As for 2142, I actually feel it runs smoother then BF2, so I cant really compare.
What are you on?

There is no 7 series card that outperforms his 8 series card (except the 7950GX2 and that's only a little bit quicker - midpoint between the 8800GTS and 8800GTX, although of course that varies depending on settings and the game running).

The G80 series are much, much quicker than the G71 cards, it's not just DX10 you pay for.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-07-15 14:53:00)

Buzerk1
+44|6847

Bertster7 wrote:

r2zoo wrote:

What are you on?

There is no 7 series card that outperforms his 8 series card (except the 7950GX2 and that's only a little bit quicker - midpoint between the 8800GTS and 8800GTX, although of course that varies depending on settings and the game running).

The G80 series are much, much quicker than the G71 cards, it's not just DX10 you pay for.
He said "lower end" 8 series... can you read?

Meening a 7800GTX or a 7900GTX could outrun a 8600... now if you compare 7900 series to 8800, then no, the 8800 will outrun the 7900.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6592|SE London

Buzerk1 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

r2zoo wrote:

What are you on?

Meening a 7800GTX or a 7900GTX could outrun a 8600... now if you compare 7900 series to 8800, then no, the 8800 will outrun the 7900.
The OP is about an 8800GTS 320MB. It is he (and apparently you) who cannot read.

How is the performance of lower end G80 cards relevant?

In any case, how do the 7800GTX and 7900GTX count as the majority of 7 series cards?

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-07-15 15:46:48)

r2zoo
+126|6607|Michigan, USA

Bertster7 wrote:

Buzerk1 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

What are you on?

The OP is about an 8800GTS 320MB. It is he (and apparently you) who cannot read.

How is the performance of lower end G80 cards relevant?

In any case, how do the 7800GTX and 7900GTX count as the majority of 7 series cards?
Hers some proof

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814125062  8500GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814150185 7600GT

Core clock
8500-500Mhz(450 std)
7600-570Mhz

Memory clock
8500-800mhz
7600-1450mhz

How is the 7600 not winning here?  Lower end 8 series are garbage when you could get a better 7 series card for the price.

8500 might as well be the 7600 with DX10 support.

Also, no where did I state that 7 series will outperform higher end cards(let alone his), I beleive I stated that your basically paying for DX10 unless you go with a higher end card

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-07-15 21:10:04)

kachunkachunk
+8|6400|Ontario
2142's Titan mode eats your processor for breakfast. I'm not kidding; I went through a lengthy process trying to understand what the issue was. And lo and behold, even a computer with a sub-par workstation graphics card with a fast processor outdid my other gaming system in the game due to processor power alone. And the final upgrade to a whole new gaming system sealed the deal.

It's not due to "your computer being too slow," per se. It's actually more about how the engine is limited in some ways, where the programmers can't or won't provide workarounds to stop certain things from happening, which suck up performance. A few of these would basically lie around hit detection when the Titan AA guns and deployed sentry guns are firing. People constantly pound titan shields, trying to get aircraft taking off. That slows the server down a very noticeable amount, causing some major skipping and sync issues. And your latency/lag is left unaffected.
Then the sentry guns planted in hallways. They constantly fire at targets not even reachable (beyond a wall, for instance), with each bullet striking (and canceling out) the wall. And the target beyond the wall. And all walls past that point. This adds to the issue. Hit detection in games is a programming mess, if you ask me, but it has to be server-side instead of client to help prevent eliminate cheating and to set a middle-ground for people with varying latencies/ping.

Add to the fact that the Titans are in fact moving geometry/vehicles, the programmers have to use some workarounds for that as well. There is hit detection and not necessary the standard clipping practices when it comes to game maps, so you're effectively going to rely on the server determining where you are on the busy titan. Every footstep requires some form of synchronization with the server, so with many players, it'll put server-side load through the roof, especially with all the shooting.

And this all isn't even counting the client-side stuff (graphics detail, sound, etc). As far as performance is concerned, but that's generally quite solid, actually. Perhaps better than BF2 at times, however there is a bit more stippling in the trees.
Things get problematic when the server is having issues, so the game becomes unplayable. This happens on even high-end systems.
r2zoo
+126|6607|Michigan, USA

kachunkachunk wrote:

2142's Titan mode eats your processor for breakfast. I'm not kidding; I went through a lengthy process trying to understand what the issue was. And lo and behold, even a computer with a sub-par workstation graphics card with a fast processor outdid my other gaming system in the game due to processor power alone. And the final upgrade to a whole new gaming system sealed the deal.

It's not due to "your computer being too slow," per se. It's actually more about how the engine is limited in some ways, where the programmers can't or won't provide workarounds to stop certain things from happening, which suck up performance. A few of these would basically lie around hit detection when the Titan AA guns and deployed sentry guns are firing. People constantly pound titan shields, trying to get aircraft taking off. That slows the server down a very noticeable amount, causing some major skipping and sync issues. And your latency/lag is left unaffected.
Then the sentry guns planted in hallways. They constantly fire at targets not even reachable (beyond a wall, for instance), with each bullet striking (and canceling out) the wall. And the target beyond the wall. And all walls past that point. This adds to the issue. Hit detection in games is a programming mess, if you ask me, but it has to be server-side instead of client to help prevent eliminate cheating and to set a middle-ground for people with varying latencies/ping.

Add to the fact that the Titans are in fact moving geometry/vehicles, the programmers have to use some workarounds for that as well. There is hit detection and not necessary the standard clipping practices when it comes to game maps, so you're effectively going to rely on the server determining where you are on the busy titan. Every footstep requires some form of synchronization with the server, so with many players, it'll put server-side load through the roof, especially with all the shooting.

And this all isn't even counting the client-side stuff (graphics detail, sound, etc). As far as performance is concerned, but that's generally quite solid, actually. Perhaps better than BF2 at times, however there is a bit more stippling in the trees.
Things get problematic when the server is having issues, so the game becomes unplayable. This happens on even high-end systems.
Ive noticed this myself, on my old machine I had a 3Ghz processer but a Nvidia 5200, on all low titan runs alot smoother then it does on my new machine with a 2Ghz(or whatever a 3200+ equals out to) and its bogs down a bit more, but overall doesnt lag as much, its just a bit choppy.
Slickfish
+24|6634
I find they run about the same, apart from titan maps on 2142, but that well known and talked about.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard