FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
Ok, so my mum, in her infinite wisdom, decided to make the house wireless internet-ed (As some of you know)'

Heres the problem...Wireless sucks bollocks.

Is there any way i can boost speed/improve quality of signal, as it seems to be every 20 seconds i get lag/connection issuses.

Yours truly,
                A frustrated PR gamer
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ryan
+1,230|6843|Alberta, Canada

Tell her to go back to wired.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6235|United Kingdom

fatherted13 wrote:

Ok, so my mum, in her infinite wisdom, decided to make the house wireless internet-ed (As some of you know)'

Is there any way i can boost speed/improve quality of signal, as it seems to be every 20 seconds i get lag/connection issuses.

Yours truly,
                A frustrated PR gamer
First off you're wrong ... it's not bad - i've used it for 2 years and never experienced what you have ...

K it's probably down to a weak signal, can the router be moved any closer/your adapter be moved any closer? ie. USB adapter on a long usb extension helped mine ....

mitch
jaymz9350
+54|6577
you may want to look into better anttenas for the pc and router. a good signal will greatly help. as to the speed, wirleless runs faster than you net connection unless you have some crazy internet service.  wireless g (the norm) runs @54 Mb/s where as most internet runs at 5Mb/s or less
Katash
+4|6559
try changing the channel
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland

jaymz9350 wrote:

you may want to look into better anttenas for the pc and router. a good signal will greatly help. as to the speed, wirleless runs faster than you net connection unless you have some crazy internet service.  wireless g (the norm) runs @54 Mb/s where as most internet runs at 5Mb/s or less
A router is shared over other computers. A parent might also be using the internet, which means there goes a bit there. 54MB/s is the theoretical speed of the router (ie. tested in the best conditions), but it is for marketing propoganda and it can technically go at that speed. 54Mb/s is the wireless rate, but the ethernet throughput is likely to be half than that (28Mb/s). A wireless network is both prone to disturbance (walls, doors etc) and the distance from the signal.

Whilst Wireless G is the most common at the minute, more and more people are switching over to Wireless N.

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-07-14 15:02:02)

jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

to test your quality ...

Come with some operation that you perceive as being intermittently disruptive.

If possible, plug into the router to ensure that is indeed disruptive over the wireless.

if it is the wireless ...
Verify that there is no other traffic.

Test using the closest proximity ...
Then move away and introduce walls ...

If you are getting cockblocked by another family member, adjust the QoS settings on the router in your favor.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6596|Michigan, USA
Well, I run wireless using a USB adapter on a 54Mb/s setup, and I run 2142 just fine, only time i get problems is when someone on my other pc is downloading something using BT(very bandwidth consuming).  My pc is located about 50Ft from the router and is a floor down(My rooms in the basement) and I get a good connection.  This may seem silly but try this out You could try out this little booster you make out of card paper and tinfoil, boosts my signal nearly 10%

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re … 21990.html
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
Hmm. I could possibly attribute the game feeling slower due to this stupid widescreen, but the router is only 1 metre from my reciever (through a non-supporting wall) so that still doesnt explain the connection fails. Maybe BT routers just suck dick.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6235|United Kingdom

fatherted13 wrote:

Hmm. I could possibly attribute the game feeling slower due to this stupid widescreen, but the router is only 1 metre from my reciever (through a non-supporting wall) so that still doesnt explain the connection fails. Maybe BT routers just suck dick.
maybe - not sure tbh

could you try another router?

Last edited by mitch212k_2 (2007-07-14 15:39:11)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6552|Scotland
Wtf, and why cant you plug into it with an ethernet cable?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

mitch212k_2 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

maybe - not sure tbh

Nah, i had a idea though. If i cable my comp into the wireless, as opposed to having a little USB reciever thingy, will that mean that i get the main broadband flow, before it goes "into the air"?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FathomsDown
+19|6651|England

fatherted13 wrote:

Agree 100%. Tell her that wireless has been linked to cancer in an European study. Fibre to desktop FTW.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6596|Michigan, USA

fatherted13 wrote:

mitch212k_2 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

maybe - not sure tbh

Nah, i had a idea though. If i cable my comp into the wireless, as opposed to having a little USB reciever thingy, will that mean that i get the main broadband flow, before it goes "into the air"?
Sort of.  You'll still be sharing your connection with others hence sharing one line among multiple pcs, if one uses alot of bandwidth the other will suffer, you just wont be limited to the slowdown produced via the wireless transmission.  And honestly, why do you have wifi in the first place?  Unless you have a pc a ways away from the main modem(like mine at 50ft, across floors) theres no valid reason for it.
agent146
+127|6386|Jesus Land aka Canada
well ya i use to think wireless suck major balls but its not that bad. but i still prefer a physical line; lol maybe your house has lead walls that does not allow a good connection
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

r2zoo wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

mitch212k_2 wrote:

maybe - not sure tbh

Sort of.  You'll still be sharing your connection with others hence sharing one line among multiple pcs, if one uses alot of bandwidth the other will suffer, you just wont be limited to the slowdown produced via the wireless transmission.  And honestly, why do you have wifi in the first place?  Unless you have a pc a ways away from the main modem(like mine at 50ft, across floors) theres no valid reason for it.
The only reason we have wireless is because my mum has about 5 laptops. At maximum though, only 2 computers in the house tend to be online, so i should still be getting a stable connection. I'll re-iterate, i get a fast speed, but not a constant connection, if that makes sense
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard