Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6298|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
I play on 512 MB of RAM and a Radeon X300. I play on low, but I was wondering: Is it the RAM or your graphics card that affects what settings you're able to play on? Or is it both?
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6461

Both.
Ryan
+1,230|6856|Alberta, Canada

Um...

VRAM (the RAM that your video card stores) does affect how high or low your settings are, but so does the GPU and the clock speeds.
But like anything, the more, the better. So The more RAM you have in your computer, the better you can play BF2.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6248|United Kingdom

Undetected_Killer wrote:

I play on 512 MB of RAM and a Radeon X300. I play on low, but I was wondering: Is it the RAM or your graphics card that affects what settings you're able to play on? Or is it both?
Gotta say killer... on 1.5 G RAM i played smoothly with most things on medium with my old X300 .... go with the RAM then the more expensive Video Card
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6458|EE Chat

r'Eeee wrote:

Both.
jaymz9350
+54|6590
video ram mostly helps as you up the resolution.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6550|Long Island, New York
Both, pretty much. RAM would help you run faster as there's more room for BF2 to run, but the video card processes the graphics and if it's a crappy one, it's going to go slower.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6578|Area 51
No need in buying an 8800 Ultra with only 512 MB of ram, since your PC would be lacking physical RAM and would then use virtual RAM. Even though having 2 Gigs or more doesn't do crap if your Video card is wack. Therefore both affect the gameplay.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6378|California

Undetected_Killer wrote:

I use to play on the same for about a year, my game would crash after every 2 maps , which then ended up in a full restart of the pc.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6401|USA, MICHIGAN
both, it takes 2 to tango.....the correct way
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6506|N. Ireland
Unless you are playing in resolutions of 1600x1200 or higher, it is unlikely that you will notice any difference between a 256MB card and a 512MB card. In your case, your card is pretty awful, and if you had 2GB of RAM it would just be an overkill.
[Hive]-Twist
+13|6378
Ram is only like 50 bucks for a gig, so go for that first.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum
Same sorta question, i have a geforce 7300SE, and 1 gb ram. What would be the best thing to upgrade?I was thinkin 1 more gb ram maybe
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ryan

fatherted13 wrote:

Same sorta question, i have a geforce 7300SE, and 1 gb ram. What would be the best thing to upgrade?I was thinkin 1 more gb ram maybe
Upgrade the card man. That would be your number one priority right now. Worry about that extra gig of ram later.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum

Ryan wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Upgrade the card man. That would be your number one priority right now. Worry about that extra gig of ram later.
Oh, is the card fairly shit?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)
Both.

What are the rest of your system specs?

From the look of it (without knowing the rest of your specs) an extra 512MB of RAM (or bringing it up to 2GB) is probably going to make the most difference.

The X300 ain't a great card, I'm afraid, but I think your lack of RAM is probably holding it back a little.

There are also other advantages to increasing your RAM - your whole system will load, run, and generally feel at lot faster.

So, unless it's something else in your system causing a bottleneck (which is why knowing your specs would be nice), I'd recommend RAM first, then Video card.

If you upgrade the Video card first then the lack of RAM will seriously hit the performance of the card.
Ryan

fatherted13 wrote:

Ryan wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Oh, is the card fairly shit?
It's quite old.

Go Here and compare that card with say, a 7800 or a 7900. You'll see how old your card is.
If you wanna play Crysis, which I know you do, then upgrade your card.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum
Erm how exaclty to i find a nice easy clear list of the specs? Im somewhat...Shite at computers
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ryan

Um... try nvidia.com and search up your card. Or google 7300 specs.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6177|California
i think this is how settings work........
the ram stores vectors necessary to accomplish high resolution and both the cpu and the gpu processes the math behind the vectors, however, it is the cpu's main priority to process the program, and the gpu to process graphics.
The video memory is used to store textures, which is why under high settings, it looks more realistic, because it has more textures
this is how teh computer process's games
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum

Ryan wrote:

noob, i meant my entire PC specs

Love you really xxx
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Scorpion0x17
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

weerdfoo1 wrote:

i think this is how settings work........
the ram stores vectors necessary to accomplish high resolution and both the cpu and the gpu processes the math behind the vectors, however, it is the cpu's main priority to process the program, and the gpu to process graphics.
The video memory is used to store textures, which is why under high settings, it looks more realistic, because it has more textures
this is how teh computer process's games
In a very vague, non-specific, general kinda way - yup, that's about right.
Reiskis
+6|6163|Bartlett Illinois
I would say both i have 2 gigs of ram it i have my settings on high and my screen res on the highest and it runs very smooth.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

fatherted13 wrote:

Ryan wrote:

noob, i meant my entire PC specs

Love you really xxx
There a various tools that will do that - SiSoftware Sandra is my personal favourite.
Ryan

You can even get xfire.com to analyze your computer in your profile.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard