Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Stocks Surge on Retail Sales Reports

The S&P 500 rose 28.94, or 1.91 percent, to 1,547.70, above its record close of 1,539.18, set June 4.

https://i17.tinypic.com/537x0uw.jpg
The Dow shot up 283.86, or 2.09 percent, to 13,861.73; its previous record close, which also came June 4, was 13,676.32. Thursday's jump was the biggest one-day percentage gain for the blue chip index since October 2003 and the biggest single-session point gain since October 2002. The Dow also reached a new trading high of 13,869.94 and saw its 50th record close since the start of October.

The Nasdaq composite index rose 49.94, or 1.88 percent, to 2,701.73; the rise Thursday marked the biggest one-day percentage increase since March. The last time the Nasdaq closed at such levels was in February 2001. Still, the index, bloated by the late 1990s tech boom, is nowhere near its closing record of 5,048.62, set in March 2000.

"The kind of disaster situation that everybody was preparing for doesn't seem to be playing out."

"It tends to bounce back and forth, but over all the market is grinding higher. How much higher remains to be seen."

https://i7.tinypic.com/4zclf6w.jpg

In other economic news

Federal deficit down, June posts surplus
The Bush administration this week announced a new deficit projection for this year of $205 billion, down significantly from the $244 billion deficit it forecast in February, reflecting the fact that revenue growth has continued to come in at higher-than-expected levels.

Jobless claims fell 12,000 in latest week
The number of U.S. workers signing up for first-time jobless benefits fell to a seasonally adjusted 308,000 last week, slightly lower than expected, a government report on Thursday showed.

https://i15.tinypic.com/4uvqx5z.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6558|San Diego, CA, USA
Doesn't matter.  In 1992 when Bill Clinton went into office their tag line was, "Its the Economy Stupid."

See the Economy, when its bad is a REAL big negative to the President (ala Bush the 1st).  But when the Economy is good is not all that of a big positive.  All a good economy does it highlight something else as the big negative.  In this case its obviously Iraq.

If we went in with 400,000 troops instead of 150,000 we would had been gone 2 years ago (dumb Rumsfeld).

Also the fact that we have a Republican as President means that all the liberal press won't hype the economy.  The liberal bias in the press also means that they will hype stories that are negative (glorifying bombings in Iraq with no context), to the President and ignore or downplay stories that are positive to the President (good economy, low jobless numbers, etc...).

Now what's funny is that the democrats are going to purpose tax increases and nationalize healthcare.  I wonder if this will be another 1988 election?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

It sure as hell matter to those of us who have money invested in there.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command
Now if we could just get W to do a rain dance, all would be well.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6465|The edge of sanity
If our economy is so good then why is this still there?

http://photos18.flickr.com/24012562_68e2121a3d.jpg
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6472|meh-land

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

i believe that comes form the fact that so many people are buying houses and such on interest only loans and selling them when the price increases, which causes a huge instability.  The market's getting better, but if the housing market goes down a LOT of people will lose a ton of money, which will of course at the least give the economy a serious wobbling, and possibly a collapse. 
Greedy people, meh
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

The national debt is not a very good economic indicator. As I have said before we have had a debt through nearly our entire history, including our greatest economic booms.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jonsimon
+224|6504

Harmor wrote:

Also the fact that we have a Republican as President means that all the liberal press won't hype the economy.  The liberal bias in the press also means that they will hype stories that are negative (glorifying bombings in Iraq with no context), to the President and ignore or downplay stories that are positive to the President (good economy, low jobless numbers, etc...).
I laugh at you silly man. Kam just linked to 3 news articles and an editorial cartoon hyping the economy. Way to fail at observation.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole

Kmarion wrote:

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

The national debt is not a very good economic indicator. As I have said before we have had a debt through nearly our entire history, including our greatest economic booms.
but dont you think with our bolstering economy we can start paying off our fucking debt?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

but dont you think with our bolstering economy we can start paying off our fucking debt?
No. Because you're still not even close to filling the deficit. You're still borrowing more.

The US solution to this is to borrow more money to stimulate the economy so that the debt, whilst still actually going up, is reduced as a percentage of GDP. It just doesn't seem like a good idea, especially now that US national debt has become so huge as a percentage of GDP.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

We actually had a surplus last month Bert... small beans I know but it is better than the latter. Maybe it's time we followed the lead of China and manipulated our currency while imposing trade barriers.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
darad0
+40|6630|Centreville, VA

Bertster7 wrote:

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

No. Because you're still not even close to filling the deficit. You're still borrowing more.

The US solution to this is to borrow more money to stimulate the economy so that the debt, whilst still actually going up, is reduced as a percentage of GDP. It just doesn't seem like a good idea, especially now that US national debt has become so huge as a percentage of GDP.
The debt is a huge problem, and the solution that has been forced on us since 1908 is ludicrous. Create more money at interest to pay of the debt!?! The crash is coming my friends, and its going to be far worse than 1929. The men pulling the strings, the Federal Reserve, have it all planned out. Business cycles are not real, they are created, planned out mathematically for the benefit of a few men out to fuck us all.

Edit: I forgot to mention that we did not have a debt when Andrew Jackson was president and he refused to renew the charter for the national bank. He managed to get the debt to 0 because he stopped slim ball bankers from profiting off the people of this nation (for a little while atleast)

Last edited by darad0 (2007-07-13 11:54:12)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

darad0 wrote:

Edit: I forgot to mention that we did not have a debt when Andrew Jackson was president and he refused to renew the charter for the national bank. He managed to get the debt to 0 because he stopped slim ball bankers from profiting off the people of this nation (for a little while atleast)

Kmarion wrote:

nearly our entire history
Xbone Stormsurgezz
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6500|Menlo Park, CA
In a few minutes we are gonna get some liberal blow hard saying that only the rich benefit from the surge in the stock market. . . .

just wait. . . .
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Do I hear 1400

Dow     13,922.78  Right now
Xbone Stormsurgezz
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6500|Menlo Park, CA
Its unreal how on fire it is right now!!!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

fadedsteve wrote:

I feel like I'm missing the boat. Next month I was planning on moving some money, I should have known better. Oh well I didn't have a choice .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6500|Menlo Park, CA

Kmarion wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

I feel like I'm missing the boat. Next month I was planning on moving some money, I should have known better. Oh well I didn't have a choice .
Yea. . . what can ya do. . .

I almost feel I should call my dad to see whats going on with his portfolio.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole

Bertster7 wrote:

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Borrowing money is bullshit. We need to start up our manufactoring wing agian, and revitalize the rust belt. Upgrading everything to information technology and becoming an export nation is what gave us enormus power in the first place so why not do it agian? We will be able to pay off our debt and get what we need for military and everythingin cash. Goverment will have more money for other ventures as well.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6500|Menlo Park, CA

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

Borrowing money is bullshit. We need to start up our manufactoring wing agian, and revitalize the rust belt. Upgrading everything to information technology and becoming an export nation is what gave us enormus power in the first place so why not do it agian? We will be able to pay off our debt and get what we need for military and everythingin cash. Goverment will have more money for other ventures as well.
Let the truth be spoken! all we do is import!!! Its hurting us bigtime!
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6366|CA, USA
anyone have any hot stock tips?
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford
Hmm, stocks surge on retail sales report. And how do you think people are paying for said retail surge? Credit. The fact that rich traders in the city are profiting from this should be worrying to any US citizen. Just because they're trading doesn't mean its a good thing for the economy. If you can't afford the repayments on your house, don't go shopping!

*edit If you want to make some real money from your portfolio move it to China like I did, or at least the majority. Watch the dividend cheques roll in and enjoy a ride that's going to last at least a decade. Most of you seem like stock market retards so here's tip number one...go for growth, something that's lacking in the US market.

Last edited by RicardoBlanco (2007-07-13 16:02:48)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6456|Chicago, IL
Sigh....If only i had invested instead of blowing it all on this computer...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
Speaking of investments...  man, if I had invested in Halliburton in 2003.... 

I'm glad the stock market is doing well.  I'm also glad the federal deficit is lower this year.

The bad news is that the dollar is falling in value, and soon, the Canadian dollar will be equal to the value of ours.  This really sucks for an economy heavy on consumption and not nearly as heavy on production.

Things look ok right now, but as the war debts continue to accumulate, the dollar will continue to fall.

We need to get the hell out of Iraq and actually balance the budget.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

anyone have any hot stock tips?
As long as we're in Iraq, aim your money at Halliburton and other contractors and most defense industries.

In addition to this, invest in companies like Exxon.  They're doing phenomenally well right now for obvious reasons.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard