Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/07/1 … ml?ref=rss

Roman Catholic Church only true church, says Vatican
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 | 10:27 AM ET
CBC News

The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

The 16-page document was prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a doctrinal watchdog that Pope Benedict used to head.

Pope Benedict XVI was elected Pope in April 2005.Pope Benedict XVI was elected Pope in April 2005.
    (Plinio Lepri/Associated Press)

Formulated as five questions and answers, the document is titled Responses to Some Questions Regarding Certain Aspects of the Doctrine on the Church.

It says although Orthodox churches are true churches, they are defective because they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.

"It follows that these separated churches and communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation," it said.

The document adds that Protestant denominations — called Christian Communities born out of the Reformation — are not true churches, but ecclesial communities.

"These ecclesial communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood … cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called 'churches' in the proper sense," it said.

The document is similar to one written in 2000 by the Pope — who was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger at the time — that sparked an angry reaction from Protestant groups.

The document is issued by Benedict's successor in doctrinal matters, Cardinal William Levada, and endorsed by the Pope, said Reuters.

The decree comes days after liberal Catholic and Jewish groups spoke out against the Pope's move to authorize the wider use of a traditional Latin mass.

The Tridentine mass includes a prayer for the conversion of Jews. Its use was restricted following the Second Vatican Council from 1962 to 1965.

Pope Benedict issued a decree last week authorizing its broader use in an effort to reconcile with followers of an ultratraditional excommunicated bishop.

The Jewish Anti-Defamation League in New York called it a "body blow to Catholic-Jewish relations."

Last edited by Stubbee (2007-07-10 09:57:41)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
David.P
Banned
+649|6276
Oh god this is why i miss the old pope.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6647|Camoran's Paradise
Come back John Paul.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

David.Podedworny wrote:

Oh god this is why i miss the old pope.
How dare you. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh … pope23.xml

A Turkish best seller
https://i10.tinypic.com/508fioj.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
chittydog
less busy
+586|6837|Kubra, Damn it!

News flash: Everyone believes that their religion is the right one, or they wouldn't believe in it.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6167|California
ok..i'm a catholic myself and i still believe there is some truth to every religion
i also believe in science and the theory of evolution
(evolution being elaborate for creationism)
RAVAGE
+4|6176|México City, México.
Benedict can kiss my ass. For me he personify the reason of why most "catholic" based nations are still poor and underdeveloped.

Catholisism is just based on mediocrity. dont do this, dont do that, fear this fear that... my ass.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA
Is there an issue or do you just like repeating the news!

Each religion, and nonreligious person, choose how they practice their faith or not - It's their belief - so be it.

They may offend some with words, however, considering the actions of other so called religions that spew hate and condone mass murder - I don't have an issue with their doctrine of defining their view of Christianity.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA

RAVAGE wrote:

Benedict can kiss my ass. For me he personify the reason of why most "catholic" based nations are still poor and underdeveloped.

Catholisism is just based on mediocrity. dont do this, dont do that, fear this fear that... my ass.
New guy - all due respect - you might want to take some advice and show a little respect to your fellow forum members and try not to just mouth off.  Maybe re-read the forum title too.  If you could please present a serious response to the topic we would then be glad to debate it with you and show you why you're a complete freakin idiot 
RAVAGE
+4|6176|México City, México.

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

RAVAGE wrote:

New guy - all due respect - you might want to take some advice and show a little respect to your fellow forum members and try not to just mouth off.  Maybe re-read the forum title too.  If you could please present a serious response to the topic we would then be glad to debate it with you and show you why you're a complete freakin idiot 
Im scare. you are about to show me why Im a complete freaking idiot OMGFG... now im peeing myself.  DON´T DO IT MERCY MERCY!!

Last edited by RAVAGE (2007-07-10 22:28:33)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS

RAVAGE wrote:

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

RAVAGE wrote:

Im scare. you are about to show me why Im a complete freaking idiot OMGFG... now im peeing myself.  DON´T DO IT MERCY MERCY!!
If you aren't capable of a serious discussion, get out.

We don't need tards in here.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Ratzinger
+43|6394|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Look, all I said was "That piece of halibut was fit for Jehovah, that's all. Surely you don't get stoned to death just for saying that?"
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

Stubbee wrote:

The Jewish Anti-Defamation League in New York called it a "body blow to Catholic-Jewish relations."
Because the Judaeism follows the teachings of Jesus Christ?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England

Spark wrote:

RAVAGE wrote:

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

What are you on, he had a point in his original post. It's alot like what Islam does to countries too.
Spark
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

Spark wrote:

RAVAGE wrote:

What are you on, he had a point in his original post. It's alot like what Islam does to countries too.
Huh? Read that post again.

"Im scare. you are about to show me why Im a complete freaking idiot OMGFG... now im peeing myself.  DON´T DO IT MERCY MERCY!"

Riiiight.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6628|Sea to globally-cooled sea

weerdfoo1 wrote:

ok..i'm a catholic myself and i still believe there is some truth to every religion
i also believe in science and the theory of evolution
(evolution being elaborate for creationism)
The Catholic Church believes that, too, and the Church has never discredited the theory of evolution.  That was my Senior Thesis.

Did any of you READ this document?  Or are you just believing these generalizations that some sap decided to publish in order to receive his paycheck for the week?

I'm 25 years old.  I got my undergrad at Seton Hall University with a double major in Religious Studies and Catholic Studies.

ANY of you should know, if you really want to know something, read the source.

We had this debate back in April after Virginia Tech, and I quoted the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation. (Catechism of the Catholic Church: 847).
That is the Church's teaching.

You have to remember that Humanity is flawed.  If this document the Vatican just released says that the Catholic Church is the only TRUE church, that's not a big deal.  God better have patience with a certain amount of flaws, otherwise we'd be screwed.  That's what Christianity is about!

I agree with you about Benedict, to a certain extent.  His role in the World is a lot different than JPII's.  John Paul was very sensitive, very open...He was the first pope to visit a Muslim Mosque.  That's just the way he was.

Benedict simply is not as diplomatic.  It's almost as though he has no team of advisors on how to deal with the press.  He just throws stuff out there.  Personally, that's not the way I would go.  That's almost too evangelical for me.  The way I see it is, how can anyone expect to reach a non-believer by being accusatory or confrontational?  That's simply not the way Christ was.

Christ met people on their own level.  We see it time and time again.  He would address the individual, and at the end of each story he would say, "Your sins are forgiven.  Get up and sin no more."  We saw that with the lady at the well.  We saw that with the woman caught in adultery.  We saw something similar to that with Zaccheus.

I'm sad that a document of my church offends you, but beyond the fact that you have not read it, I can't really blame you.

In the future, though, you have more credibility if you educate yourself on a topic before flaming it.

Peace,
Genius

Last edited by G3|Genius (2007-07-11 04:23:40)

G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6628|Sea to globally-cooled sea
sorry, i forgot to stick my quote in there. 
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6345|California
Yet another reason I am atheistic.
Spark
+874|6677|Canberra, AUS

G3|Genius wrote:

sorry, i forgot to stick my quote in there. 
Heh, wondering what you were talking about for a moment.
~ Richard Feynman
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6539|Chicago

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

other so called religions that spew hate and condone mass murder
Yeah, forget that "Crusade" bullshit, that was a just cause.

:rolleyes"
V1king
+10|6157|Land of crocs and cane toads

RAVAGE wrote:

RAVAGE wrote:

GROW UP!!

Religious or non religious is a belief and nothing more.  You choose to believe and I choose not to believe.  Stop forcing it down my fricken throat!

Last edited by V1king (2007-07-11 07:37:02)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

Stubbee wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/07/10/vatican-church.html?ref=rss

Roman Catholic Church only true church, says Vatican
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 | 10:27 AM ET
CBC News

The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

The 16-page document was prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a doctrinal watchdog that Pope Benedict used to head.

Pope Benedict XVI was elected Pope in April 2005.Pope Benedict XVI was elected Pope in April 2005.
    (Plinio Lepri/Associated Press)

Formulated as five questions and answers, the document is titled Responses to Some Questions Regarding Certain Aspects of the Doctrine on the Church.

It says although Orthodox churches are true churches, they are defective because they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.

"It follows that these separated churches and communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation," it said.

The document adds that Protestant denominations — called Christian Communities born out of the Reformation — are not true churches, but ecclesial communities.

"These ecclesial communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood … cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called 'churches' in the proper sense," it said.

The document is similar to one written in 2000 by the Pope — who was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger at the time — that sparked an angry reaction from Protestant groups.

The document is issued by Benedict's successor in doctrinal matters, Cardinal William Levada, and endorsed by the Pope, said Reuters.

The decree comes days after liberal Catholic and Jewish groups spoke out against the Pope's move to authorize the wider use of a traditional Latin mass.

The Tridentine mass includes a prayer for the conversion of Jews. Its use was restricted following the Second Vatican Council from 1962 to 1965.

Pope Benedict issued a decree last week authorizing its broader use in an effort to reconcile with followers of an ultratraditional excommunicated bishop.

When will the Catholic Church finally just roll over and die?

EDIT: btw the Jewish Anti-Defamation League are a bunch of gangsters.

Last edited by Braddock (2007-07-11 07:38:54)

The_Mac
+96|6227

RAVAGE wrote:

You know, a lot of Irish Catholics came to America, and I don't see them living in mediocrity. What is the problem is their corrupt and hard handed governments. They don't know how to govern themselves, so they have the military do it for them. Thus, they turn to their religion for solace and support. It's a lose lose situation.

<------Not Catholic
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America
I don't see why they're doing this. It seems to be equivalent to a person sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling "I'm right. You're wrong. {childish taunts}"

This statement by the church appears to be one of the most unnecessary, though.

<------Catholic

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard