Bevo
Nah
+718|6558|Austin, Texas
Okay, so you're all pretty aware that the gunners seat on the tank isn't that great.
Actually, it sucks pretty bad. You're usually very visibile and get sniped out, plus you get out-done by the tank operator.

Moreover, it makes SO MUCH NOISE. I can tell the exact position of a tank just by the idiot sitting in the gunners seat.

Whenever I'm in a tank, I'm ALWAYS an engineer. I like staying alive. I consider myself a good tanker. (Last round ended 33-1).

I do what a tank is SUPPOSED to do. Sit back, blast other armor, deny enemy infantry a certain area of the map. I don't cap flags, that's not what armor is for. You get blindsided and taken down with C4 and AT missiles. That's how I get such high KDs with a tank. (Okay, don't look at my stats for proof. )

So there I am, sitting pretty far back, usually just inside of visual range of enemy infantry, using my little gun in spurts, supporting my team.
Along comes some guy who thinks it would be great fun to be in the gunners seat. They jump in and proceed to make AS MUCH NOISE AS POSSIBLE and end up shooting walls and stuff if they're bored. Pretty much.. "HEY! THERE'S A TANK HERE! SHOOT ME LOL!"

No matter how many times I back up and say bail, they just spin around in the gun and shoot the ground, the buildings, windows, whatever they feel like. They NEVER get any kills. Most of the time I just go up into the enemies base and sit still and let him get shot out, then retreat.

If you WANT to be in the gunner's seat of a tank you should:
1) Not be a total jerkoff and shoot at clouds.
2) Be an engineer, or antitank. Something helpful.
3) Shoot anti-tank infantry when I'm engaging a tank.
4) If you won't do the above two, and just want to sit there an soak up driver kill assits, don't spam the gun.

For christs sake, don't SPAM THE GUN USELESSLY.

MadKatter [Wow, that feels better]
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6605|NYC / Hamburg

I know. Usually the moment someone is in the 2nd position in my tank, I will get into TS and hope that someone I know is on the other team so he can be sniped out. Otherwise I'll just go jihad
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6491|USA
Yeah, I'm just going to read the post, and next time I sit in the gunner seat I'm going to listen to this guide. Or not. For your own sake, think before you post. I shoot that gun because I shoot at people, then I hop out and repair the tank if he needs it. I have never seen people spam the gun at clouds, maybe when theres nothing to engage but seriously...
Bevo
Nah
+718|6558|Austin, Texas

elite.mafia wrote:

Yeah, I'm just going to read the post, and next time I sit in the gunner seat I'm going to listen to this guide. Or not. For your own sake, think before you post. I shoot that gun because I shoot at people, then I hop out and repair the tank if he needs it. I have never seen people spam the gun at clouds, maybe when theres nothing to engage but seriously...
It's not a fucking guide, it's a rant. I said it in the title. Maybe you don't see these total idiots but they exist and have some strange attraction for my shiny metal tank.
CloakedStarship
+76|6603
With this X-Fi sound card, i could probably hear your tank's engine from 2 flags away, don't need a silly gunner to alert me
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6716|Middle of nowhere
wait... i still fail to see the problem with a gunner

i'm not a master with a tank either, but i'd say i'm pretty good, and i've never had a problem with a gunner.  What's the drawback? oh noes, the AT guys know where i am! /fail  If you're engineer and competent as you say you are, all you need to do is take them out and repair any damage you took, big deal.  And so what if they get shot out of the top, not your problem is it?

so... what's the big deal again?

Edit: i mean, i know it's a rant...but still

Last edited by genius_man16 (2007-07-08 18:13:24)

Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6501|meh-land

CloakedStarship wrote:

With this X-Fi sound card, i could probably hear your tank's engine from 2 flags away, don't need a silly gunner to alert me
generally everyone knows where the tank is anyway, so it makes no difference whether or not your gunner confirms it...
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6491|USA

MadKatter wrote:

elite.mafia wrote:

It's not a fucking guide, it's a rant. I said it in the title. Maybe you don't see these total idiots but they exist and have some strange attraction for my shiny metal tank.
Whatever the hell it is, it's worthless. The engine of the tank is just as loud as the guns anyways.
d.cripz
+29|6447
the reason i hate gunners in my tank is cause they always jump out and i run them over getting a TK. they hardly ever kill someone whom i wasnt about to kill anyways and in total they have probably caused me more - points then +.
l41e
+677|6686

Being the anti-air gunner isn't exactly a fun proposition either, FYI. Driver stays still: get sniped out. Solution: get out, lose ride, get sniped anyway. Driver moves: you can't hit crap. Solution: get out, die from whatever driver was chasing/running away from.
Skexis
+6|6497
Yeah, frankly, I haven't seen anyone who wanted in my tank unless they thought I was driving somewhere. Most folks seem to know it's a bunk position, because tanks are a high priority target.

I imagine that would piss me off if it did happen, though.
Beats
+2|6720
A very effective way to help out your tank driver is to play either engineer or anti tank class.  When your tank is blasting rounds at another tank (duel) it is often the tank that gets off the first shot that ends up winning.  If you jump out of the gunner's seat and stand behind your tank (using it as a shield) and repairing it, you can increase the odds that your tank will come out the victor.  Also, slightly more involved, you can play AT kit and jump out of your tank and blast an AT missle at the opposing tank and jump back in the tank quickly.  If the 2 tanks are going shot for shot and you manage to get one more rocket in there, more often than not you get the win from your 1 extra shot landed.  Now, the downside to these strats is that if your tank driver lands his killing shot while you are outside the tank either repairing or shooting an AT rocket, you won't get points for the kill.  But in a way you have wiped out your biggest threat (or one of them) by taking out the enemy tank... leaving you lots of unobstructed shots at enemy infantry that should get you tons of points.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6558|Austin, Texas

genius_man16 wrote:

i'm not a master with a tank either, but i'd say i'm pretty good, and i've never had a problem with a gunner.  What's the drawback? oh noes, the AT guys know where i am! /fail  If you're engineer and competent as you say you are, all you need to do is take them out and repair any damage you took, big deal.  And so what if they get shot out of the top, not your problem is it?

If they draw THAT much attention to you, there's nothing stopping 2 guys from circling you and shooting two rockets up your ass. He rarely gets kills and that's fine. But they're never engineer, antitank. They never shoot stuff when stuff needs to be shot. They just sit there and shoot buildings. Competent AT teams along with enemy armor pose a large threat if every single enemy knows where exactly I am on the map.
l41e
+677|6686

MadKatter wrote:

genius_man16 wrote:

If they draw THAT much attention to you, there's nothing stopping 2 guys from circling you and shooting two rockets up your ass. He rarely gets kills and that's fine. But they're never engineer, antitank. They never shoot stuff when stuff needs to be shot. They just sit there and shoot buildings. Competent AT teams along with enemy armor pose a large threat if every single enemy knows where exactly I am on the map.
Ehh, what can I say...welcome to BF2 pubbing.
Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6459|California, US
you know that if u hold your crouch button in a tank you can duck in the turret right?
Scardaddy
+37|6429|UK
I'll agree with most of what was said in the before posts.  I guess only 2nd position that's worth a damn is attack heli.  I don't mind being or having a gunner in a tank though, cause it makes a difference.  I'll swap some kills for a couple of driver kill assests I need them anyway;)
Bevo
Nah
+718|6558|Austin, Texas

elite.mafia wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

elite.mafia wrote:

Whatever the hell it is, it's worthless. The engine of the tank is just as loud as the guns anyways.
It's a rant you dumbass. It says it in the title. Maybe you don't know what a rant means, in which case I suggest you find a dictionary. If you don't like it, don't read it.

The engine isn't anywhere near as loud as the gunner. Especially when you're 100m out and sitting remotely still.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6788|the middle of nowhere
I'm awesome in the gunner position. I can take out tons of infantry real easy and it aims really well.
JG1567JG
+110|6626|United States of America
Every so often I will get a gunner that wants to shoot at anything and everything and it drives me nuts.  When I hear the gunner shooting I want to know what he's shooting at so I can help kill it or stop moving so he can get a shot on it.  I like it when I have a gunner that only shoots when there is something to shoot at and spots it so the tank driver knows to stop so the gunner can get a shot or help the gunner engage the target.  If I have a gunner that only shoots when there is something to shoot at he doesn't even have to spot since I will know when he shoots to stop and see what is going on.  I understand where the OP is comeing from.  Another thing that bugs me is when you are trying to jump in a jeep or buggy and fly back to a back flag and your gunner wont stop shooting his gun and giving away our position.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6558|Austin, Texas

Darkhelmet wrote:

I'm awesome in the gunner position. I can take out tons of infantry real easy and it aims really well.
I <3 People like you. Don't get me wrong, the gunner's seat is VERY VERY useful to a tank. But 90% of the people who hop into that seat make the situation worse than better.

(Kind of a sidenote, but it seems like every guy that is an idiot in that seat is a Sergeant.)
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6491|USA

MadKatter wrote:

elite.mafia wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

It's a rant you dumbass. It says it in the title. Maybe you don't know what a rant means, in which case I suggest you find a dictionary. If you don't like it, don't read it.

The engine isn't anywhere near as loud as the gunner. Especially when you're 100m out and sitting remotely still.
Maybe you need to turn the bass up on your sound card. The engine volume of tanks is much louder when the bass is turned up.
firebolt5
+114|6193
Not to mention Dice made the tanks with open hatches...  I mean, a tank in real life would NEVER leave the hatch open while in battle.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6716|Middle of nowhere

Beats wrote:

A very effective way to help out your tank driver is to play either engineer or anti tank class.  When your tank is blasting rounds at another tank (duel) it is often the tank that gets off the first shot that ends up winning.  If you jump out of the gunner's seat and stand behind your tank (using it as a shield) and repairing it, you can increase the odds that your tank will come out the victor.  Also, slightly more involved, you can play AT kit and jump out of your tank and blast an AT missle at the opposing tank and jump back in the tank quickly.  If the 2 tanks are going shot for shot and you manage to get one more rocket in there, more often than not you get the win from your 1 extra shot landed.  Now, the downside to these strats is that if your tank driver lands his killing shot while you are outside the tank either repairing or shooting an AT rocket, you won't get points for the kill.  But in a way you have wiped out your biggest threat (or one of them) by taking out the enemy tank... leaving you lots of unobstructed shots at enemy infantry that should get you tons of points.
If you have a tanker who knows what he's doing, he'll run over you as soon as you get out.  You need to move if you want to win a tank battle
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6179
Everyone does this in every vehicle; it's not unique to armour.  Any time I'm gunning in a chopper, you wouldn't believe the amount of idiots who'll get my attention by firing at me using APCs, PKMs, RIBs etc.  I.e. they die solely because they alert me to their presence (while using a gun that is almost zero threat to me).  I've had people in cars shooting their machine gun at tanks when I'm trying to drive past unnoticed.  I've even been in a tank and noticed a sniper who's constantly shooting his gun at the tank (with no-one else around for miles). 

Most people don't think when they play the game.  Tank gunners are no different.
san4
The Mas
+311|6726|NYC, a place to live
A simple way to help out a tanker is to use any kit in the gunner's seat and just hop out and run during a tank vs. tank battle. If you time your run correctly and you can get the other tank to shoot at you, you can give your tank more time to shoot at the other tank. This only works if you don't mind dying a lot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard