.Genera|-Idea.
Run program: uninstalllife.exe
+2|6144

Hurricane wrote:

Jepeto87 wrote:

2300 I know I could get it cheaper but I dont know how to build one myself! Work wont let me take my holidays when I want so ill just get this instead and play games for 2 weeks solid!

Will loads of new games not be using those physics cards in the future? It dos'nt cost too much extra.

Thanks!
I honestly wouldn't spend the cash on the physics card. Wait until the 22nd for intel's price drops and grab yourself a super sexy quad core for dirt cheap.
Wold I buy the processor on line? Or in stores, cause I need a lower price processor, and I've always wanted a quad core.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6444|Stealth City, UK

mafropetee wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

^^mafropetee^^
I can see where you're coming from but I don't think this dude can get anything delivered to him in ROI. Also get a better CPU, unless you OC like a bitch (this person doesn't have much tech prowess, no offense ) its not going to be anywhere near a E6600 (or E6750) OC'd, or at comparable stock speeds.
the e6420 at stock can still do anything you could possibly want as far as gaming. in gaming what really matters is the graphics power. the more you have the better (if paired with the right resolution. two 8800gtx's wont really make a difference on anything less than a 30" screen to be honest. but if you use only one 8800gtx on a 30", its gonna do some major choking)

also, i guess i missed the fact that hes in ireland. 0.o

ohh well. the dell you got will play just about anything. and like i said before, you have the advantage of dell's awesome customer support. i was just trying to get you the best performance for your money.

EDIT: ohh, and if theres something wrong with your card, DO NOT open up the computer and try to fix it yourself (i know you probably wouldnt anyway). just call dell and they should provide a solution. if you open it up yourself you break a seal and you void the warranty.
Firstly having 2 GTX's and a E6420 is a bit of a mis-match. Secondly when he talks about his card, hes talking about his credit card!

r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

mafropetee wrote:

EDIT: ohh, and if theres something wrong with your card, DO NOT open up the computer and try to fix it yourself (i know you probably wouldnt anyway). just call dell and they should provide a solution. if you open it up yourself you break a seal and you void the warranty.
That's not true, My graphics card failed like 3 times (it's 6800). I E-mailed Dell, they ask me if I can replace it myself, they send me another one. I am happy.
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
Lol yeah im talking but my credit card, it has a limit of 2000! Ill get it increased first thing tomorrow

Feel free to keep sending suggestions!
mafropetee
+18|6145|Altamonte Springs, FL

r'Eeee wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

That's not true, My graphics card failed like 3 times (it's 6800). I E-mailed Dell, they ask me if I can replace it myself, they send me another one. I am happy.
thats because that old of a dell wouldnt have the seal. they just started putting them in their cases recently.

and i feel really stupid about the credit card thing. UNLESS your dell has a credit card in it... hey thats a good idea. make mobos with credit card slots that you just stick your card in. that way if you do an online transaction it just charges it directly.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6462|UK
I am jealous.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

mafropetee wrote:

r'Eeee wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

thats because that old of a dell wouldnt have the seal. they just started putting them in their cases recently.

and i feel really stupid about the credit card thing. UNLESS your dell has a credit card in it... hey thats a good idea. make mobos with credit card slots that you just stick your card in. that way if you do an online transaction it just charges it directly.
Shhhhhhhhhh, or master card will be on it by yesterday!

Martyn
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

mafropetee wrote:

r'Eeee wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

Alright, I didn't know that.
Onidax
+41|6495
It all looks pretty stock to me. Might as well have gone to amazon and bought one!

j/k
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas
Someone needs to explain why the hell 4GB is useful to any extent on a 32bit OS.  A 32bit OS has a hard limit of 3GB or less, depending on the particular setup, peripheral devices, etc.  Unless DDR2 has to be in matched sets or, similar to DDR, you can't do 1T clock cycles with an odd number of DIMMs there is absolutely no point in having 4GB of RAM to be used in a 32bit OS.

Japeto - Enjoy your system.  BTW, what system are you coming off of to this new one?  I went from a p3-866 or something 18 months ago to my current rig (sig) and it blew my socks off... Multi core really makes a difference in responsiveness, as does an ass load of RAM.  Anyway, enjoy it.  You should download some benchmark utilities and post what your scores are once you get it.  I'll break mine out if you're interested.  Of course my machine is hampered by 18 months of bloat.  But hey, it'll make you feel that much better when you see how much more kick ass your machine is. :-)  The benchmarks, utilz and other burn-in tools I've still got from initial build are 3DMark06, Central Brain ID, CPUz, Prime95 and SuperPi.  Note that if you're burning in your rig with Prime95 or SuperPi you will need one instance for each core and will need the shortcuts made to choose which core to run on with the -A# (affinity) option.  Damn it.  Just talking about testing a new multi-core machine makes me want a quad core....
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

ph4s3 wrote:

Someone needs to explain why the hell 4GB is useful to any extent on a 32bit OS.  A 32bit OS has a hard limit of 3GB or less, depending on the particular setup, peripheral devices, etc.
no, no, No, No, NO, NO, NO!

32bit Windows has supported a full 4GB of physical RAM for as long as there has been 32bit Windows.

For fucks sake! If I see anyone claim that 32bit Windows only supports 3GB ever again, I'm gonna build myself a big enough arsenal of nukes to blow the planet clear all the way Alpha Centauri and denote them on their ass!
-|TS|-owNzu7
+6|6421
8800 *drool*
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
Apparently shouting at your credit card companies employee's over the phone is a a great way to have your limit increased, who knew?!

So I placed the order and received an email, this is the important part - "the following part is not compatible with the Vista OS: [Dellâ„¢ v92 Data/Fax Modem]", eh ok so perhaps I can choose one that is? Apparently not, the only option you have is to get it without a modem or cancel the order!

So can some recommend a modem of this website! - http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.aspx

All I wanted was a PC by Friday....
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6444|Stealth City, UK

Jepeto87 wrote:

Apparently shouting at your credit card companies employee's over the phone is a a great way to have your limit increased, who knew?!

So I placed the order and received an email, this is the important part - "the following part is not compatible with the Vista OS: [Dellâ„¢ v92 Data/Fax Modem]", eh ok so perhaps I can choose one that is? Apparently not, the only option you have is to get it without a modem or cancel the order!

So can some recommend a modem of this website! - http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.aspx

All I wanted was a PC by Friday....
Why do you need a modem? Do you use dial up?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6567|Area 51

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

Someone needs to explain why the hell 4GB is useful to any extent on a 32bit OS.  A 32bit OS has a hard limit of 3GB or less, depending on the particular setup, peripheral devices, etc.

32bit Windows has supported a full 4GB of physical RAM for as long as there has been 32bit Windows.

For fucks sake! If I see anyone claim that 32bit Windows only supports 3GB ever again, I'm gonna build myself a big enough arsenal of nukes to blow the planet clear all the way Alpha Centauri and denote them on their ass!
Could you borrow me a couple nukes? Just to have fun with some other planets first?
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
No I use broadband, so i dont need a modem you say!? Excellent, this is why I asked for help im a complete caveman when it comes to computers!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
You don't need a 'v92 Data/Fax modem' - that is for dial-up or using your PC as a fax-machine.

Now, strictly speaking, with a broadband connection you do need a 'box' that is also called a 'modem' which should be provided by your broadband provider, isn't the same as a 'v92 Data/Fax modem', and is often built into what is commonly referred to as a 'hub'.

So, in short, no you don't need it.
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
Yeah Im looking at one of those in front of me now!

Now there saying the Internet service provider I choose isnt compatible.....  Thats funny because I didnt pick one!
(And no they dont make you pick one!)

All I want is a new PC, I think ill cry... again!

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-11 10:20:00)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
WHAT?! Your ISP isn't compatible!? Bullshit.

Tell Dell they're fucking noobs. (actually, you maybe don't want to do that, but I'd be tempted to - really pisses me of when support lines know jack-shit about their products)

What they probably mean is they don't 'support' your ISP (i.e. if you can't get connected to the internet Dell won't help you)

Anyhoo, I take it your current PC is currently connected to your broadband hub via an ethernet cable, yes?

If yes. Then, if it's got an ethernet card/connection (sometimes called a LAN card/connection) it will work fine with your current ISP and broadband hub.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

Scorpion, please elaborate. 

32bits of address/name space allows for the addressing of 2^32 unique locations which correlates to a maximum of 4GB (one byte per address). 

Any peripheral device (video card, etc) has a memory footprint and the only way to access that memory is through that same 32bit address space through memory-mapped input/output (MMIO), effectively reducing the usable address space for system RAM.   

No computer functions without these peripheral devices.

Therefore, there is no way an OS can address a full 4B of physically installed system RAM due to a reduction in the amount of usable address space caused by the hardware being used.

Edit - Removed references to MS Windows being limited to 3GB... Various versions have software workarounds available, double buffering, etc to allow effective 64bit addressing in a 32 bit system.  Also toned down the rhetoric a bit.

Last edited by ph4s3 (2007-07-11 20:15:46)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

ph4s3 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

Scorpion, you are incorrect at best, purposefully misleading at worst.  Either that, or by "support" you mean "you can plug it in and it won't make your system crash but you won't be able to use it within the OS."...

(stuff removed for brevity)
I mean the later - you can plug it in and it won't make your system crash.

Also, the full 4GB will get utilised. Yes, some memory is allocated for IO by the BIOS. And therefore the OS gets to play with 3-and-a-bit GB.

But the OS and BIOS, combined, will access the full 4GB.

Your original statement implies, and a lot of people take that to mean, that there is no point in installing 4GB of physical RAM on a 32bit system.

That is just plain wrong.

I repeat for emphasis: The OS and BIOS, combined, will access the full 4GB.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

...Either that, or by "support" you mean "you can plug it in and it won't make your system crash but you won't be able to use it within the OS."...

Also, the full 4GB will get utilised. Yes, some memory is allocated for IO by the BIOS. And therefore the OS gets to play with 3-and-a-bit GB.

Your original statement implies, and a lot of people take that to mean, that there is no point in installing 4GB of physical RAM on a 32bit system.

I don't believe that is correct.  The BIOS maps address space to devices and doesn't use the system RAM that is displaced.  in a 4GB address space, if all 4GB are installed, whatever is mapped to the devices is effectively unmapped from the system RAM so those particular locations will never be accessible.

If you have 3GB of system RAM installed and a 700MB memory footprint, then all 3GB of physical system RAM are addressable and usable, the 700MB of device-mapped memory is addressable, and there's still 300MB or so of address space left available.  However, if you have 4GB of physical system RAM installed and the same 700MB footprint, the 700MB device-mapped memory is addressable and only 3.3GB of physical RAM is addressable, the other 700MB of space on the system RAM doesn't have an address and can't be used. 

The BIOS effectively uses that address space, but it is not using the physical system RAM when it maps memory pointers to installed devices.

Last edited by ph4s3 (2007-07-11 20:31:51)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

ph4s3 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

...Either that, or by "support" you mean "you can plug it in and it won't make your system crash but you won't be able to use it within the OS."...

I don't believe that is correct.  The BIOS maps address space to devices and doesn't use the system RAM that is displaced.  in a 4GB address space, if all 4GB are installed, whatever is mapped to the devices is effectively unmapped from the system RAM so those particular locations will never be accessible.

If you have 3GB of system RAM installed and a 700MB memory footprint, then all 3GB of physical system RAM are addressable and usable, the 700MB of device-mapped memory is addressable, and there's still 300MB or so of address space left available.  However, if you have 4GB of physical system RAM installed and the same 700MB footprint, the 700MB device-mapped memory is addressable and only 3.3GB of physical RAM is addressable, the other 700MB of space on the system RAM doesn't have an address and can't be used. 

The BIOS effectively uses that address space, but it is not using the physical system RAM when it maps memory pointers to installed devices.
WHAT?!

I'm sorry but you clearly don't know enough about what you're talking about.

B.I.O.S. Stands for Basic Input Output System. It is the BIOS that handles ALL the IO - this is done using space within physical memory addresses, and it is all co-ordinated by the BIOS.

Look, I have a BTEC in Computer Studies, A-Level Computer Studies and a BEng(Hons) degree in Software Engineering for Real-Time Systems. I'm not saying this to say "I'm better than you" - I'm saying it because whilst gaining these qualifications I learnt all about how IO and memory mapping works at the hardware level and I, therefore, do know exactly what I'm talking about.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

Unreal Tournament 3 may be worth the PhysX, but we don't know how much it'll really affect gameplay.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

WHAT?!

I'm sorry but you clearly don't know enough about what you're talking about.

B.I.O.S. Stands for Basic Input Output System. It is the BIOS that handles ALL the IO - this is done using space within physical memory addresses, and it is all co-ordinated by the BIOS.

Look, I have a BTEC in Computer Studies, A-Level Computer Studies and a BEng(Hons) degree in Software Engineering for Real-Time Systems. I'm not saying this to say "I'm better than you" - I'm saying it because whilst gaining these qualifications I learnt all about how IO and memory mapping works at the hardware level and I, therefore, do know exactly what I'm talking about.
That's nice.  While we're comparing penis size credentials here, I've got a BSEE, have passed my first Professional Engineer license exam and I have developed the hardware and firmware for several embedded systems using MMIO.  Granted, they were 16bit and not x86 architecture, but the principles of MMIO are still the same. 

If you've got a certain size address space and your physical memory is the same size, when you use MMIO you lose access to the memory stack for whatever quantity of addresses you map to the I/O registers because those addresses no longer point at the stack.  The way you put it makes it sound as if some part of that physical RAM is used by the BIOS when it isn't.  It's wasted because the addresses that could use it are reserved and pointing somewhere else and if data were loaded to those addresses it would go to the I/O bus to whatever device has that address assigned to it. 

Perhaps I got the verbiage wrong in regards to the function of the BIOS doing a particular task, but MMIO doesn't get any simpler than that.  You lose whatever you map elsewhere because one address can't go to two different locations. 

And that means you can't get access to 4GB of system RAM on modern computers (x86 types with a 32bit OS), because a portion of that 4GB address space is remapped to the devices in the PC such as the video card.

Last edited by ph4s3 (2007-07-11 22:15:27)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard