buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6444|Stealth City, UK

gwolfman wrote:

Here's the link from Ageia of supported games:

Code:

http://www.ageia.com/physx/titles.html
I think it will all be worth it once Unreal Tournament 3 comes out!
But he'll have an 8800GTX and a C2D, that will play everything max without the need to spend another £100 on the card.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

Jepeto87 wrote:

-  Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
Wait for the Intel July 22 price drops.

Jepeto87 wrote:

-  Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
Fine. Any reason why not Ultimate though?

Jepeto87 wrote:

-  4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
Why only 667MHz? Why not 800?

Jepeto87 wrote:

-  320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
Get a Raptor 150GB and then a single 160GB for media or something. You said it yourself this is for gaming - you may as well make it the best!

Jepeto87 wrote:

-  768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
Fine! Nice card.

Jepeto87 wrote:

-  128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card
Useless, only Ghost Recon supports it at the minute as far as I know? I'd just stick with getting better components elsewhere than getting this.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
^^^Its from Dell so you don't really get that much of a choice and its pretty pricey if you change too much.
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
You cant get any better RAM unless you select a XPS 720 and customise that. The catch being they cost well over 4000! And theres no other option for OS's except some business version.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
I've never looked but is there any other site that delicers to ROI?
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
Alienware.com but there pretty pricey and I dont think you get that much extra for your money.... except neon lights!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Can't you build it yourself? (btw, I'm up in the North!)
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6304

Ryan wrote:

Lucky people and their 8800s
These people aren't very happy.

Shitty drivers.
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
Nope im not going to build one myself, how bout you do it for me and ill drive up and get it!!
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas

Jepeto87 wrote:

Hey im getting a new PC but dont know much on the subject, whats your opinion on this?

-  Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
-  Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
-  4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
-  320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
-  768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
-  128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card

I just want something for gaming. Thanks
God I want your video card.  Personally I'd change some of the other things a bit, though.

CPU:
Wait for the July price cuts and get a discounted Core 2 or upgrade your choice for a similar price point (quad core?).  Silly not to wait for the price drop since it's already been announced.

RAM:
Reduce your RAM from 4GB to 3GB or less (don't do less than 2GB).  Unless you have a 64 bit OS, you're wasting 1+GB of RAM.  Any 32 bit system will only use up to 3GB.  Reduce your RAM and don't think about 64 bit Vista just for the extra RAM availability.  It's worse than regular Vista for drivers, apps and games.

I'd change your OS to XP Pro.  I've read that Vista has major driver issues for gamers.  If you want to put the rig to good use now, get XP Pro then add Vista later after MS and vendors get serious about the drivers and support.  If you're adamant about having Vista for some reason then I'd use a virtual machine or dual boot.  It costs more for license fees, but it doesn't sound like money is an issue for you.

HARD DRIVES:
RAID 0 is striped and offers twice the chance for failure as a regular disk.  You need a backup solution in the form of another internal disk (say 500+GB for full system backup and media files) or an external backup disk (eSATA or firewire).  I'd also change to 10k rpm barracuda or raptor drives if you're going for speed (the whole reason for RAID 0), but it's not pivotal.

GRAPHICS:
Like I said, I want your card.  If you've got money to burn, more power to you.  Buy the best you can afford and you won't regret it.

ADD ON CARDS:
PhysX?  No way, it isn't useful now.  Better to save this cash until there's a game you want to play that can use it.  When that time comes the hardware will be cheaper, faster and more mature.

If this is for gaming, I'm surprised we don't see a sound card listed.  On board audio notoriously sucks.  I'd add a 7.1channel 24 bit Creative X-Fi card with 109dB SNR.  I'd also add a hell of a speaker system for it if I didn't have kids.  As I do have kids and can't enjoy BF2 cranked up loud, I can happily recommend a good set of surround sound headphones, though they are only 5.1.  You look like a tool with them on, but I've never heard anything better and they put "virtual" surround sound cans to shame.  The only thing better would be if they had in-line volume control and a mic boom attached.

Lastly, as I see you're considering ordering a pre-built system, I'd suggest you shop around locally and see if there's anyone that will build a custom rig to your specs for a fee if you order the parts.  Most white box guys will do that, especially if it means they get to play with some serious hardware for a little while.  However, I know ease of purchase and peace of mind are worth something, so if you need warranty or tech support then I can understand your choice.
Smithereener
+138|6318|California
Ditch the Physics card IMO. The benefits of having one are almost nil, very few games are optimized to utilize one. Plus, I'm thinking that they won't be used in the future anyway.

Nice rig overall though.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

Jepeto87 wrote:

Nope im not going to build one myself, how bout you do it for me and ill drive up and get it!!
I'd be happy too if you give me a commission Whereabouts down south are you?!
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas
Other things to keep in mind...

DX10 lets particle and geometric calculations/manipulations be done on the GPU.  This potentially will do away with the need for the PhysX card later.  Best to let the games you want to play determine if you need the PhysX hardware or not.

After some research , the July 22nd Intel price cuts are not just a new price list, they also reflect an upgrade in processors.  The price lists I've seen show a "50" at the end of the Core 2 Duo models instead of "00", i.e. E6750 to replace E6700.  The difference seems to be a faster FSB (1333 instead of 1066 in this case) and $135 cheaper for the CPU you listed.  The bottom line of the quads seems to have lopped off $250+ in their price, so that may make the quads affordable to you now.  I think I'd opt for the E6850 @ 3GHz for <$300 ($266 in lots of 1000), which is still a better price than the current  E6700 and a 30% bump on FSB and a 13% boost in clock speed for less money.

Good luck.  Let us know what you wind up with.
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
They only let you choose 1,2 OR 4 GB of RAM and its not to much extra to get 4GB. You can get XP Media Center Edition 2005 instead of Vista,  they dont really give you a lot of options. Its a pretty shit service but if you dont buy off Dell all your really left with the crap in PC World, Dixons and Curries and there all shit and expensive!

leetkyle wrote:

Whereabouts down south are you?!
I live in Dublin.

I suppose ill just wait for the price cuts. But I just realised my mams going to Austraila for 5 weeks next Sunday! If I want it in the next month and a half id have to order befor then!

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-08 12:05:37)

chrispchikin
+3|6413
U could just get the E6600 and OC it to E6700Speeds and Beyond, if ur on a budget (seems like ur not)

But then again, the better the CPU the more u can OC anyways...
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas

chrispchikin wrote:

U could just get the E6600 and OC it to E6700Speeds and Beyond, if ur on a budget (seems like ur not)

But then again, the better the CPU the more u can OC anyways...
The chances that a Dell system has sufficient power, cooling and BIOS support to allow proper OC are slim to none.  They are (or were, anyway) well engineered machines, but they weren't designed for enthusiasts to tweak the hell out of.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6831|Texas

Jepeto87 wrote:

They only let you choose 1,2 OR 4 GB of RAM and its not to much extra to get 4GB. You can get XP Media Center Edition 2005 instead of Vista,  they dont really give you a lot of options. Its a pretty shit service but if you dont buy off Dell all your really left with the crap in PC World, Dixons and Curries and there all shit and expensive!

leetkyle wrote:

Whereabouts down south are you?!
I live in Dublin.

I suppose ill just wait for the price cuts. But I just realised my mams going to Austraila for 5 weeks next Sunday! If I want it in the next month and a half id have to order befor then!
I found I could customize an XPS on their site with XP Pro... It cost $150, but hey, it's better than Vista.  There's a reason Dell made it available again.

Also, in regards to the RAM.  Buy 2GB now and add 1GB later if you think you need it.  It's cheaper than Dell's option and it's absurd to buy 4 when you can only use 3.  I'm shocked they're selling it like that.  I don't know much about DDR2 though, so perhaps they have to be in matched sets so 3 isn't really an option??? I dunno...  Either way, only 3 is usable in a 32bit OS and I wouldn't pay for 4 since that's the case.

Also, I like the Raid 0 thing since it's only $30 for the extra drive.  I think I'd change it to a mirrored setup for automatic data recovery when necessary, but that's just me.  If you leave it striped be sure and have some kind of back up.

Good luck.
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
When you swap Vista for XP it mess's with your options a little so how about this:

- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
- 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024] (Since 4 is pointless?!)
- 320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
- SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
- Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
- 128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card ( Ive decided to get this... just in case!)

Its almost 150 euro cheaper this way and id use that to buy another 1MB of RAM. I think ill cap my spending limit at around 2500.

Thanks for all your help and opinions, sorry im so clueless on these matters!!

PS: Eh which one would I be buying here! http://www.komplett.ie/k/memselect.aspx? cmd=getModelPartList&strMfr=Dell&strProdLine=XPS&strModel=XPS+710 Cheers

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-09 11:23:24)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
I recommend you do get 4GB because of the system you have. Your RAM is still only 667MHz? Can't you custom build at all? A physics card is really quite useless at the minute, I recommend you hang back and then it will be cheaper when you find that games do need it (months away though).
Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
667 is the best they'll let you get with the 710 so ill just get 4MB of it

I think ill leaning more towards the first PC  I posted, so much so that I just bought it. Thanks very much guys, cant wait to get it!

Appreciate your help!
mafropetee
+18|6145|Altamonte Springs, FL
alright im just gonna skip over most of the suggestions/statements made by most of the people here, cuz a lot of them are stupid. i wish the guys from techreport can come over here and punch you all in the head.

ok first of all, dells are only "overpriced" because of their excellent warranties and support. something goes wrong, they fix it.

second of all, i WOULD suggest just putting your own system together. its kind of ignorant to say "no, im not putting one together. ill mess it up." its not that hard. most of the components only fit on one socket on the motherboard and just by looking at them they obviously wont go anywhere else. and on top of that, a decent motherboard will come with a manual on how to put your system together.

so, please consider it. if you decide to build, here are my recommendations:

MOBO: BFG 680i
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
GPU: BFG 8800GTX (grab two of these)
RAM: Geil Black Dragon DDR2 800 4GB (2 x 2GB)
CASE: Antec P190
OPTICAL: Samsung SATA DVD Burner
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB (grab two of these)
MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp 30" LCD
KEYBOARD: Microsoft Comfort Curve
MOUSE: Logitech G5

there. roughly the same price as the dell, yet i GUARANTEE you that if you take some benchmarks and the above system will beat the dell IMMENSELY. the dell will look like a pitiful little girl pissing her pants next to california's governor on steroids (well... MORE steroids).

plus, a dell with the exact same specs as the one above would cost really close to 3 grand.

but, in the end if you really just feel safer with the dell, you would be sacrificing a lot of performance, but you would get some of that value back with their excellent customer service.

EDIT: dammit... too late >.<

Last edited by mafropetee (2007-07-09 12:29:10)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

Jepeto87 wrote:

667 is the best they'll let you get with the 710 so ill just get 4MB of it :)

I think ill leaning more towards the first PC  I posted, so much so that I just bought it. Thanks very much guys, cant wait to get it!

Appreciate your help!
So? 800 is 800 as standard! lol.

@mafroo> gee, thanks.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
^^mafropetee^^
I can see where you're coming from but I don't think this dude can get anything delivered to him in ROI. Also get a better CPU, unless you OC like a bitch (this person doesn't have much tech prowess, no offense ) its not going to be anywhere near a E6600 (or E6750) OC'd, or at comparable stock speeds.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-09 12:49:17)

Jepeto87
+38|6687|Dublin
None taken

In a bizzare twist somethings wrong with my card, Think there's a limit so ill have to fix that first!

That looks cool too mafropetee but its im living in Ireland and that site wont deliever here. Most of the Irish sites ive come across dont sell BFG products at prices any sane person can afford !

All I want is a good PC that can play loads of modern games as there meant to be played so hopefull this one will do!

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-09 12:50:34)

mafropetee
+18|6145|Altamonte Springs, FL

buLLet_t00th wrote:

^^mafropetee^^
I can see where you're coming from but I don't think this dude can get anything delivered to him in ROI. Also get a better CPU, unless you OC like a bitch (this person doesn't have much tech prowess, no offense ) its not going to be anywhere near a E6600 (or E6750) OC'd, or at comparable stock speeds.
the e6420 at stock can still do anything you could possibly want as far as gaming. in gaming what really matters is the graphics power. the more you have the better (if paired with the right resolution. two 8800gtx's wont really make a difference on anything less than a 30" screen to be honest. but if you use only one 8800gtx on a 30", its gonna do some major choking)

also, i guess i missed the fact that hes in ireland. 0.o

ohh well. the dell you got will play just about anything. and like i said before, you have the advantage of dell's awesome customer support. i was just trying to get you the best performance for your money.

EDIT: ohh, and if theres something wrong with your card, DO NOT open up the computer and try to fix it yourself (i know you probably wouldnt anyway). just call dell and they should provide a solution. if you open it up yourself you break a seal and you void the warranty.

Last edited by mafropetee (2007-07-09 13:41:24)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard