Balok77
+28|6150
Do the benefits outweigh the dangers?

So far man has extracted roughly 11 billion barrels of oil from the earth with roughly 7 billion left. What will we do when the oil runs out? To power England alone we would need 100,000 wind turbines, can u imagine the visual effect that would have on our country?

Already countries like France almost completely survive on nuclear power, is it a valid option for countries to use instead of oil, or is it simply to dangerous.

Discuss
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA
Stop having so many fucking kids.

Overpopulation ftl.

Solution to 80% of the worlds present and future problems - use a condom.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6769
its just too dangerous. you can have all the safeguards in the world but accidents happen
BVC
+325|6697
I think it'll become more necessary as the years go by, especially as electric cars become more popular.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Balok77 wrote:

So far man has extracted roughly 11 billion barrels of oil from the earth with roughly 7 billion left. What will we do when the oil runs out? To power England alone we would need 100,000 wind turbines, can u imagine the visual effect that would have on our country?

Already countries like France almost completely survive on nuclear power, is it a valid option for countries to use instead of oil, or is it simply to dangerous.

Discuss
I'm for using every alternative there is to oil.  Unfortunately, Big Oil doesn't like that idea, so they do everything possible to keep us addicted.

Nuclear, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, and solar energy are all options we should have on the table.  We must end the tax incentives and subsidies that oil production and exploration get, and then replace said things with incentives and subsidies to the alternatives.  THAT will lessen our oil dependence and clean up much of our pollution issues.
golgoj4
+51|6776|North Hollywood

Turquoise wrote:

Balok77 wrote:

Discuss
I'm for using every alternative there is to oil.  Unfortunately, Big Oil doesn't like that idea, so they do everything possible to keep us addicted.

Nuclear, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, and solar energy are all options we should have on the table.  We must end the tax incentives and subsidies that oil production and exploration get, and then replace said things with incentives and subsidies to the alternatives.  THAT will lessen our oil dependence and clean up much of our pollution issues.
The question is, who the hell will have the balls to lead that political charge.
Turquoise
O Canada

golgoj4 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Balok77 wrote:

Discuss

The question is, who the hell will have the balls to lead that political charge.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but honestly, Al Gore, Ralph Nader, and Dennis Kucinich.  All of them are basically unelectable though.

Nevertheless, I'm still probably going to vote for Nader.
Captain_Iron_shooter
+2|6691|Montreal, QC. Canada

golgoj4 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Balok77 wrote:

Discuss

You with your vote and your action. it's the people that decide. it just need the number and right now the number aren't there. too much people believe they don't make the difference.... why should i buy an electric car if the neighbor still have his gas car? why should i pay the 5000$ or so more that the same model cost in gas version. You vote, you decide. You buy, you decide. it's all up to us to make the difference.
irishtop
Hopscotch Champion
+11|6165|Houston, Texas

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Condoms FTW!!!

Nuclear power is very important to continue. As with most, nuclear power is assumed fissions which puts out all the radioactive waste but they are getting close to fusion which could solve the worlds energy needs for everything.
Turquoise
O Canada

Captain_Iron_shooter wrote:

golgoj4 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You with your vote and your action. it's the people that decide. it just need the number and right now the number aren't there. too much people believe they don't make the difference.... why should i buy an electric car if the neighbor still have his gas car? why should i pay the 5000$ or so more that the same model cost in gas version. You vote, you decide. You buy, you decide. it's all up to us to make the difference.
True, but there are other things at work here.

A lot of the reason for why the current system runs as cost effectively now as it does is because of public investment.  Much of the reason why electric cars weren't more successful in the late 90s is because oil lobbyists blocked the construction of charging stations for the cars with public money.  So, any alternatives to oil will require public investment.  It's going to be an uphill battle fighting all of the corporate interests that will try their damnedest to steer people against such things, despite effectively getting the same advantages through tax breaks.

Lobbyists essentially have no concept of hypocrisy, and the American Petroleum Institute is especially despicable.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

For the past 30 years, there has been a perception, sometimes reinforced by actions and statements, that the US Democratic Party is reflexively anti-nuclear. At the same time, it has been the perception, sometimes reinforced with words, if not action, that the Republican Party at least wants to "keep the nuclear option open".

President George W. Bush said the nation "must start building nuclear power plants." He described them as a "key part of a clean, secure energy future." The Nuclear Energy Institute notes that President Bush became the first sitting U.S. president to visit a nuclear plant in 26 years when he delivered an energy policy speech last June at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear station in Maryland.

The president's call for new nuclear plants is a challenge that the industry is well-positioned to meet, said NEI Chairman Anthony Earley Jr., chairman and CEO of DTE Energy.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?P … 0519b.html

https://i18.tinypic.com/4v7yuqu.gif

Also, just 44% of Americans support the idea of promoting nuclear power to address the country's energy needs, while 49% are opposed. Most Democrats oppose these proposals and most Republicans favor them, but the parties themselves are hardly unified. For example, while roughly four-in-ten Democrats favor promoting nuclear power, an equal number of Republicans oppose the idea. Similarly, while 57% of Democrats oppose allowing oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a third supports the proposal - hardly a unified party position. These internal conflicts within both parties over the specifics of environmental protection and energy development pose a potential roadblock to consensus on policy alternatives.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA

Pubic wrote:

I think it'll become more necessary as the years go by, especially as electric cars become more popular.
Once we mine the moon of Hydrogren-3 we will have clean energy for 1,000 years.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

For the past 30 years, there has been a perception, sometimes reinforced by actions and statements, that the US Democratic Party is reflexively anti-nuclear. At the same time, it has been the perception, sometimes reinforced with words, if not action, that the Republican Party at least wants to "keep the nuclear option open".

President George W. Bush said the nation "must start building nuclear power plants." He described them as a "key part of a clean, secure energy future." The Nuclear Energy Institute notes that President Bush became the first sitting U.S. president to visit a nuclear plant in 26 years when he delivered an energy policy speech last June at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear station in Maryland.

The president's call for new nuclear plants is a challenge that the industry is well-positioned to meet, said NEI Chairman Anthony Earley Jr., chairman and CEO of DTE Energy.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?P … 0519b.html

http://i18.tinypic.com/4v7yuqu.gif

Also, just 44% of Americans support the idea of promoting nuclear power to address the country's energy needs, while 49% are opposed. Most Democrats oppose these proposals and most Republicans favor them, but the parties themselves are hardly unified. For example, while roughly four-in-ten Democrats favor promoting nuclear power, an equal number of Republicans oppose the idea. Similarly, while 57% of Democrats oppose allowing oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a third supports the proposal - hardly a unified party position. These internal conflicts within both parties over the specifics of environmental protection and energy development pose a potential roadblock to consensus on policy alternatives.
Good points...  Aside from corporate resistance to progressive energy alternatives and solutions, there is also the problem of ignorance.

If nothing else, I can at least say that Bush did something right in promoting nuclear energy.  It's one of the few things I can agree with him on.
psychotoxic187
+11|6711

BN wrote:

its just too dangerous. you can have all the safeguards in the world but accidents happen
That is entirely not true. Nuclear power plants in the US have never had a fatality, during operation or during new construction. They also have ways of recycling the waste to reuse for power now.
Turquoise
O Canada

psychotoxic187 wrote:

BN wrote:

That is entirely not true. Nuclear power plants in the US have never had a fatality, during operation or during new construction. They also have ways of recycling the waste to reuse for power now.
In addition to this, Canada has proven that nuclear power is a clean and efficient means of providing energy.  If we actually do make the switch to nuclear power on a national scale, we can use their system as a good role model.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6465|Tyne & Wear, England

Harmor wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Once we mine the moon of Hydrogren-3 we will have clean energy for 1,000 years.
I'm not sure where you get this from, but, 1000 years is nothing.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6757|United States of America

psychotoxic187 wrote:

BN wrote:

Nuclear power is clean and safe, and reusable.. The only time I can think of something going wrong is when Russia made that one that leaked and the government didn't tell anyone. The US Navy (and I'm guessing others) are using nuclear powered ships now and nothing has happened. Nuclear energy is completely safe and will save money. Why is it the Dems want nuclear power plants to be given a chance in Iran but don't want any here?
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

Good points...  Aside from corporate resistance to progressive energy alternatives and solutions, there is also the problem of ignorance.
Are you beginning to anticipate where our metaphorical swords are bound to cross by now?

The major difficulty with coorperations and alternative energy is that most alternative energy forrms are not efficient enough or cost effective enough for most coorperations to invest heavily in at this time.  We are still in the infancy of solar power, with only a 12-18% efficiency.  Once a solar cell that is more efficient becomes cheap to manufacture, the coorperations will gobble it up.

The oil companies are, in the end, just energy companies. They would jump at it too, since once they have the equipment, the energy is free.  No more having to pay for oil to refine.

The major problem with the oil companies lately was that they were going to expand their refinery capacity, but put it on hold with all the talk about ethanol fuel, since it would not be cost-effective for them to spend money to upgrade refining capacity if demand is about to drop.  So, you can thank promoters of 'bio-fuels' for our continuing high gas prices.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Miller wrote:

psychotoxic187 wrote:

BN wrote:

Nuclear power is clean and safe, and reusable.. The only time I can think of something going wrong is when Russia made that one that leaked and the government didn't tell anyone. The US Navy (and I'm guessing others) are using nuclear powered ships now and nothing has happened. Nuclear energy is completely safe and will save money. Why is it the Dems want nuclear power plants to be given a chance in Iran but don't want any here?
That is because the (sorry, can't think of another term) tree-hugging hippies in the Democrat Party do not want the evil nuclear power which poisons the earth and produces waste that will be radioactive for thousands of years, and the US does not have a good plan to get rid of the waste(of course, that is because they fight tooth and nails to block any attempt to create a good plan to deal with the waste).

It is a decades old issue that I think is being fought by reflex by the greenies in the Dem party.
HeadShotAK47
Hand's shaken' / Heart's beatn' / Still Shootin'
+32|6728|Ft. Laudy, FL, USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Stop having so many fucking kids.

Overpopulation ftl.

It's not the fact that people don't use condoms that raises the population, it's because people in less developed countries have like 10 kids to farm land and take care of them when thier oolder. It's like a cultural thing. CONCLUSION: Solution to 80% of the worlds present and future problems is force India and China to watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy in hopes they will all turn gay and cease to exist in 40 years. Extinction ftw!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

Balok77 wrote:

So far man has extracted roughly 11 billion barrels of oil from the earth with roughly 7 billion left.
I think that's only oil in the ME... Ever heard of black gold stranglehold? Theres a shit load of oil underneath Australia and Central US.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

When we can transmit power by beam the world will be happy. Solar-sats ftw.

One would think a culture raised on Simpsons would know how great nuclear power is...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-07-08 01:50:31)

V1king
+10|6156|Land of crocs and cane toads
Nuclear power is not clean in every sense.  It requires heavy cooling from water sources (Usually a nearby stream or the like).  Raises the temp a degree or two and then you have another issue in the ecological system.  The wastes are still not recycled except for bombs and there is still a surplus of the shit.  Most of it is dumped, god knows where in barrels that will break down within 100 years and cause yet another issue from leaks.  Currently Sweden have the best solution to the wastes it extracts by burying it about a kilometer underground and backfilling it with loads of concrete but it still doesn't really solve the issue in a permanant sense, just a little longer.

Nuclear is not clean!  It's as dirty as any other fuel source, just at a later stage of it's life cycle.  Solar, wind and anything that requires natures efforts to power it are a much better long term solution.   

Condoms and sterilization and/or penalties for offenders using a numbers policy on births per couple.  China have it.  Won't know if it works for at least a generation though.  Yeah, it sounds very dictating because it is but it will be guaranteed to work in the long term if anybody is actually serious about recifying our ever growing global population beyond levels that the world can cater for.   This would have to be high on the list for sucess but it seems our goverments want more bloody humans that will consume more and more.  When does the buck stop?
V1king
+10|6156|Land of crocs and cane toads

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

When we can transmit power by beam the world will be happy. Solar-sats ftw.
It can be!  Just not long distances yet.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6528|Milkystania, yurop
Sweden shut down one of its nuclear plants since the danes had been complaining forever that their capital would be fucked if a accident would happen. Anyway since its shut down we lost power power that we got from the danes that got that power from............Coal hmm what one of those are more dangerous?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard