Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6770

Yeah, i've been AWOL for a year or something, I'm come back because I need help. big whoop.

I'm trying to find some software that has all your stock guitar effects (overdrive/distortion/wah/delay etc) and maybe a little more. preferably freeware/shareware (although we all know how easy it is to 'purchase' what you need) that works from a line-in or microphone feed.

So, I plug guitar into microphone jack. Open up software. It outputs as though I'm using an amp/pedals. It also needs to be able to save output (because I can't use any recording software as it'll only pick up the raw guitar) too.

Any help?

I've tried 'GuitarFX 3' but that has no save/output feature, and 'FxBox' is laggy like a bitch.
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6568|Australia, NSW
i had a program called cubase that could record from keyboard and guitar thru line in....however i dont know how well it went with distortion and it only worked in midis (which is shitty) 

any recording via microphone ive used cooledit, but if anyone does know of any software for guitar effects let me know ;D

my only distortion pedal is a ZOOM505II which is pretty poor at bringing out good sounds without a lot of static and background hum, what pedals have u got coolbeano - im looking out for something better
Sambuccashake
+126|6617|Sweden
Thy quest has ended:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index … mp;flash=9

Excellent software.
Also, nice to be able to alter the guitar sounds (Amps/cabs/FX and so on) afterwards to suit your taste.

I've mostly used this with Cubase with great results but I belive it can be used separately as well.

There are other solutions but this one is the best I've found.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6763|Hell, p.o box 666

hey Coolb... hellcome back... I suggest Line6 GuitarPort UX2

Includes several amp models, cabinet models, and diffrent FX like Ibanez TS 909, MXR phase90 etc etc.

You only have to install the included drivers, install the gearbox software (and update it), plug the guitarport via USB and plug in your guitar.

Want to hear a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with JCM800 Celection Greenback 4x12 cabinets? Just click it in Gearbox, there you go. You want to add a cool Delay, well, just click one of stompbox, choose analog or digital, there you go. Maybe a Mesa cabinet or a JCM800 V30 Celection sounds better, well just an click aways. Ever heard a highgain amp with a tweed 1x8? Try it.

A Fender Bassman is needed for clean sounds, well just choose it, select a cool 1x12 or 2x12 VOX cabinet, a chorus etc. Voila!

I suggest the upgrade/ add-on Metalshop btw. Including Diezel VH4 and Herbert, ENGL Powerball, Peavey 5150, Mesa Triple, Bogner Überschall, Orange, Marshall JCM800, JCM 900, JCM 2000 models...

It´s further VST compatibel and comes along with a cool recording tool. The price, 199€, is a joke.

without doubt the best PC guitar hardware/software you can buy, just plug and play!

I´ve tried every other tool, from diffrent native instruments, to cubase and logic, and compared to this simple and good sounding solution, they suck!

For some soundsamples (recorded by myself) follow this link!
Coolbeano
+378|6770

haha Slayer are you getting paid for this?

Right now I have a no-name brand effects processor, but it has no USB connectivity. And the output signal is way to high to be put into a computer. My amp has never gone higher than 2 on the volume knob, any lower and the quality is crap, any higher and I'll be breaking windows. Otherwise it's not bad for 50 bucks. 32 model presets and 31 customizable slots. Tone, wah, timbre, delay knobs, EQ, everything.

Is the hardware necessary Sambuccashake? I'm only looking for a temporary home-recording software of decent quality for the summer. All my bandmates are away (including the one who has the recording equipment) and so I'm going back to my solo work, and need some cheap guitar to computer method.

What's really stopping me from my other methods is the low volume threshold on computers. Too soft and the tone and quality is terrible, too loud and all you get is noise.
velocitychaos
+26|6503|Brisbane Australia
Dude, i've been looking for the same software, freeware/shareware and i've come across all above mentioned but alas, it looks like forking out

bucks to get what we want.

I will be watching this thread closely.
Slayer
---hates you

Coolbeano wrote:

haha Slayer are you getting paid for this?

I'm only looking for a temporary home-recording software of decent quality for the summer. All my bandmates are away (including the one who has the recording equipment) and so I'm going back to my solo work, and need some cheap guitar to computer method.
Nah, not paid, but endorsed

For home recording it´s the best thing I´ve used so far (and every musician I know who got this tool too is amazed by its simplicity (sp) and sound).

/salesman J/K
Sambuccashake
+126|6617|Sweden

Coolbeano wrote:

Is the hardware necessary Sambuccashake?
No hardware required!

And it's excellent for recording work but if you just want to use it instead of a regular amp it works as a stand alone unit as well.

Plug in, start Guitar Rig, fiddle with the settings and then go for it.

Like all software related instruments, the speed of your computer will be a factor when it comes to latency but this (should get a nobel prize for this) really tiny driver will take you a long way:
http://www.asio4all.com/

(this driver is a must have for all home recording musicians)
Slayer
---hates you

Sambuccashake wrote:

Coolbeano wrote:

Is the hardware necessary Sambuccashake?
No hardware required!

And it's excellent for recording work but if you just want to use it instead of a regular amp it works as a stand alone unit as well.

Plug in, start Guitar Rig, fiddle with the settings and then go for it.

Like all software related instruments, the speed of your computer will be a factor when it comes to latency but this (should get a nobel prize for this) really tiny driver will take you a long way:
http://www.asio4all.com/

(this driver is a must have for all home recording musicians)
and I sound like a salesman huh?!

Guitar rig is an ok software imo. As you´ve mentioned the speed of your computer is a facter. With the line6 guitarport it isnt, becasue this thing works like an external soundcard. I run it on a old AMD laptop without any soundlags.
Sambuccashake
+126|6617|Sweden
I agree Sl4y3r, A POD or a GuitarPort is much more convenient. (and easy on your computer as well)

The main reason I wrote about this was that that the OP talked about "how easy it is to 'purchase' what you need"
Slayer
---hates you

ahk, missed the legal part
Tripp
I wanna be on you
+116|6534|So Cal
Coolbeano
+378|6770

Guitar Rig lags.

But yeah, I just don't feel like buying any extra equipment if I'm only gonna use it for a few weeks. (I don't normally record guitar stuff, I'm a drummer in the band so I leave that to the other guys, but we still use a proper studio for it)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard