• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Is 1.17GB of pagefile usage normal in while playing BF2?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD
This is how much pagefile I use while playing BF2 according to the task manager.  Is this normal?

I'm trying to figure out why I lag SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad in BF2, I simply cannot even reach 20 FPS in any server.
Krupp23
+2|6236
My BF2 uses at Low-Lighting and Mid textures + geometry and 1024 resolution around 600-800MB... So 1,17GB aren't that unusual.

What specs do you have?
Graphic / CPU / RAM (dual channel)
EVieira
+105|6496|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Before you start bf2s, check what programs are running and how much ram they are using up. You can this by pressin Ctrl+Alt+Del, cliking on the process tab and ordering the list by ram use. If you seem something with a big memory usege, or several with medium to high usage you should find out what they are and shut them down before starting the game.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

You shouldn't be using any of your pagefile for BF2 if you have 2GB of memory. It should all fit on that, including the space the OS takes up.

Do you have loads of crap running in the background?
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6671|pimelteror.de
you should get more fps with those parts. which settings do you have?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD
I play it on all medium setting with textures on high, no AA, 1024x768 @ 85Hz (I still use a 15.7" CRT monitor)

The only programs I run while playing are:

AVG 7.5 free version

Creative crap because I use an X-Fi

LCD crap because I use a G15

and XFire
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6602|England
Ctrl + Alt + Delete

How many processes?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

_j5689_ wrote:

I play it on all medium setting with textures on high, no AA, 1024x768 @ 85Hz (I still use a 15.7" CRT monitor)

The only programs I run while playing are:

AVG 7.5 free version

Creative crap because I use an X-Fi

LCD crap because I use a G15

and XFire
Should run ok. 20fps is shocking.

Although your CPU is a bit pants.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD
I overclocked my graphics card with RivaTuner a couple of minutes after my last post and tried BF2 on a 46 person server, IT WAS AMAZING

First, the game loaded noticeably faster than it usually did (IE: It did not freeze for 20 seconds at 62%).  But more importantly, there was no lag AT ALL for the first 2 or 3 minutes even though there was grenades and shit going off everywhere and people shooting all over the place, then it went right back to being close to as choppy as it normally is.  Of course this could be due to the fact that is was actually a US server since they are impossible for me to find.  I quit after a total of about 8 minutes probably to try a different server but I had to disconnect in the middle of loading and shut down my computer to go to the Independence Day picnic at the pool.  Unfortunately I don't have the password to my computer because my mom put a password on it because I play too much(I'm using my dad's laptop right now); I will do more testing tomorrow since i'm allowed to play tomorrow.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

_j5689_ wrote:

I overclocked my graphics card with RivaTuner a couple of minutes after my last post and tried BF2 on a 46 person server, IT WAS AMAZING

First, the game loaded noticeably faster than it usually did (IE: It did not freeze for 20 seconds at 62%).  But more importantly, there was no lag AT ALL for the first 2 or 3 minutes even though there was grenades and shit going off everywhere and people shooting all over the place, then it went right back to being close to as choppy as it normally is.  Of course this could be due to the fact that is was actually a US server since they are impossible for me to find.  I quit after a total of about 8 minutes probably to try a different server but I had to disconnect in the middle of loading and shut down my computer to go to the Independence Day picnic at the pool.  Unfortunately I don't have the password to my computer because my mom put a password on it because I play too much(I'm using my dad's laptop right now); I will do more testing tomorrow since i'm allowed to play tomorrow.
Just wipe the Admin password (you can use a linux boot CD, it's easy - just google it), login to the Administrator account and make a new account for you - or play in the Administrator account.

(I'm such a bad influence)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-07-04 17:12:02)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD
If it's an emergency, I know how I can do it, I can set the admin password in the BIOS (This can be done on school Dells too, lol, now who's the bad influence?).  What is the exact name of the admin account though?

Is it "admin" or "administrator", "owner" or something different?
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6862|Waikato, Aotearoa
If all else fails, press F8 while XP loads. That loads Safe Mode and bypasses passwords (not sure what it is for Vista).
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

If all else fails, press F8 while XP loads. That loads Safe Mode and bypasses passwords (not sure what it is for Vista).
Already tried safe mode and that requires a password too.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

_j5689_ wrote:

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

Already tried safe mode and that requires a password too.
Yup, of course it does. That only works when no Administrator (which is the exact name of the account btw) password is set. You can't usually wipe passwords through the BIOS, that's quite odd.

The Administrator password in the BIOS is not the same, or connected to the Administrator windows password. You can wipe the BIOS password with a quick BIOS reset. The Adminstrator password is an NTLM hash, secured using SAM (I think, I might have got my terminology a bit mixed up) which means you can't do anything about it the moment Windows starts to boot. The simple solution to that is to boot a different OS, like Linux, so the SAM never starts and you can just delete the password hash - there are loads of boot cds that will do this for you, like the always handy EBCD.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD
We have like 2 CDs for Linux around but I don't know if I want to do all that and then screw myself when my brother figures out and we go on bad terms and he rats me out to mom like the douche that he is.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Is 1.17GB of pagefile usage normal in while playing BF2?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard