={PS}=Rage
+2|6669|Lake Stevens, WA

SgtSpoon wrote:

I like the fact that you mention flying smooth so the gunner can aim properly. I've lost count of the l33t ego's who mock me when i tell them to smooth en up their flying.

Oh, and nice accent
I won't fly smooth very often, as it ends up causing me to die more often.  The gunners that gun for me on a regular basis have no problem hitting All targets with this style I use either.  It may be the reason my k/d in chopper is still as high as it is, considering most of my time is as a pilot.  I generally fly fast, and somewhat erratic, this always very from round to round, server to server, depending on what is going on that round (aka whether or not I'm getting circled by jets non stop)
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6445|USA

={PS}=Rage wrote:

SgtSpoon wrote:

I like the fact that you mention flying smooth so the gunner can aim properly. I've lost count of the l33t ego's who mock me when i tell them to smooth en up their flying.

Oh, and nice accent
I won't fly smooth very often, as it ends up causing me to die more often.  The gunners that gun for me on a regular basis have no problem hitting All targets with this style I use either.  It may be the reason my k/d in chopper is still as high as it is, considering most of my time is as a pilot.  I generally fly fast, and somewhat erratic, this always very from round to round, server to server, depending on what is going on that round (aka whether or not I'm getting circled by jets non stop)
You fly perfectly smooth when I fly with you...
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6133
You may have a different idea of what constitutes being 'smooth'.  I'm just talking about giving the gunner a nice steady aim against targets when, in particular, using the cannon.  No matter how good a gunner is, it's a lot harder to hit stuff with the cannon if the chopper is jerking around erratically (when the chopper is spinning or changing direction, it's particularly difficult to hit a target).  You can fly fast and still give people a nice aim on a target because most good gunners shoot 'in lines', meaning they can take out targets while flying past.  I personally change my speed & style according to the situation and my gunner's skill (most of the people I fly with are very good gunners).  When lining up the TV I will generally fly very  erratically since my gunner and I have a rapport: They only need one moment where I'm aiming at the target to get the shot off (or, as is often the case, they don't really need me to line it up too much as they'll just fire it off and redirect against slower targets).  If my gunner is some random pleb whose skill level is undetermined, I'll make it a bit easier for them and slow down a little.  My main point is that you can fly fast while still giving people a decent chance to hit stuff.  The idiot pilots are the ones who just jerk all over the place and think their goal is to spin the chopper around while trying to look good.  I've never met a gunner who can consistently take out an AA emplacement with the cannon while their pilot is erratically turning and pitching and sliding all over, whereas if you do a fairly fast spin around the AA position you're still highly mobile while the gunner has a good chance of killing the target

I think all good chopper pilots change their flying style depending on the circumstances.  E.g. if I'm getting hounded by jets, .50 cals, choppers etc. then I won't be slowing down much at all.  If we have most of the flags & aa positions sewn up, then I'll generally turn it down a notch and fly slightly slower, smoother & lower (within reason) so my gunner can get a bit of a kill harvest going   I.e. Milk it for all it's worth when the chance is there.

We probably fly in similar ways and just have different ideas of what constitutes smooth flying (elite.mafia's post reinforces my suspicions ).
neversummer91
+1|6131
The videos were really well laid out for beginners and I'm lookin forward to the vids on how to perfect my gunning skills. I've spent quite a few hours flying but I'm only average and now I'm trying to decide whether I should give up the joystick for mouse and keyboard?? What do you guys think?
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6133
I don't think it matters.  By using a joystick, all you're giving up is the ability to solo (something I like to do from time to time).
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6562|United States
A well laid out guide and quite useful for beginners. I hope some of you guys out there watch this and take notes. But if you have no idea how to fly or gun then please do some of us a favor...

1. Don't use full public servers to practice crashing into the ground.
2. Don't tell people you know how to gun, but have no idea that you can control tv guided missiles. (Important side-note: Chopper guns DO NOT damage armor.)
3. Don't use attack helicopters to fly to the nearest uncapped flag and bail out. It's a complete waste of a vehicle, plus you'll always forget to pull your parachute anyway. Stick with jeeps.
4. Don't use choppers to cap flags unless you actually know what you're doing.
5. Don't bitch when you get teamkilled for the chopper after you've crashed it three times in a row.
aj0405
+19|6152

BeerzGod wrote:

2. Don't tell people you know how to gun, but have no idea that you can control tv guided missiles. (Important side-note: Chopper guns DO NOT damage armor.)
yes they do,and they're fairly effective against APC's and mobile AA.they won't hurt tanks much but they WILL damage it.if it is smoking you can easily finish it off with the gun.
']['error
Banned
+630|6635|The Netherlands

lxcpikiman wrote:

i like ur accent.

elite.mafia wrote:

His accent makes this video a 10/10.
yeah is accent = teh sex

good job! hopefully the smurfs will learn from this
JaggedPanther
+61|6465

Arnie_Ze_Austrian wrote:

You may have a different idea of what constitutes being 'smooth'.  I'm just talking about giving the gunner a nice steady aim against targets when, in particular, using the cannon.  No matter how good a gunner is, it's a lot harder to hit stuff with the cannon if the chopper is jerking around erratically (when the chopper is spinning or changing direction, it's particularly difficult to hit a target).  You can fly fast and still give people a nice aim on a target because most good gunners shoot 'in lines', meaning they can take out targets while flying past.  I personally change my speed & style according to the situation and my gunner's skill (most of the people I fly with are very good gunners).  When lining up the TV I will generally fly very  erratically since my gunner and I have a rapport: They only need one moment where I'm aiming at the target to get the shot off (or, as is often the case, they don't really need me to line it up too much as they'll just fire it off and redirect against slower targets).  If my gunner is some random pleb whose skill level is undetermined, I'll make it a bit easier for them and slow down a little.  My main point is that you can fly fast while still giving people a decent chance to hit stuff.  The idiot pilots are the ones who just jerk all over the place and think their goal is to spin the chopper around while trying to look good.  I've never met a gunner who can consistently take out an AA emplacement with the cannon while their pilot is erratically turning and pitching and sliding all over, whereas if you do a fairly fast spin around the AA position you're still highly mobile while the gunner has a good chance of killing the target

I think all good chopper pilots change their flying style depending on the circumstances.  E.g. if I'm getting hounded by jets, .50 cals, choppers etc. then I won't be slowing down much at all.  If we have most of the flags & aa positions sewn up, then I'll generally turn it down a notch and fly slightly slower, smoother & lower (within reason) so my gunner can get a bit of a kill harvest going   I.e. Milk it for all it's worth when the chance is there.

We probably fly in similar ways and just have different ideas of what constitutes smooth flying (elite.mafia's post reinforces my suspicions ).
I actually don't find it a problem when a pilot flys erratically. I can fire off a TV in any situation, it's more tricy with the mini-gun but I do know it will prevent a death by most of the chopper teams that we are up against (not all, MOST).

EDIT: I tihnk I quoted teh wrong person

Last edited by JaggedPanther (2007-07-07 17:46:33)

E7IXER
Banned
+20|6140|Chester, UK
I agree with what arnie is saying about the flying style, my style alters from when I am with a gunner to when I am solo, since I only ever fly with people I know are good (sorry I just dont take the risk of getting a complete waste of space gunner) I know how much time they need to aim and what not. When I fly solo I usually make it as hard to hit me as possible when chopper vs chopper as you only need half a second to get a view and fire off the tv missile.

I guess I am lucky because I have been able to play and learn from some of the best (P-Murda - was in the top 20 before he got reset, Na$ty_Bulter - despite our differences he still taught me how to funnel amongst other things)I started playing with Murda back when I was still a First Sergeant and now playing with Arnie and [MORK]Death on a regular basis helps a lot too.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, IE where to aim and stuff, because a lot of inexperienced gunners/pilots jump in with a high rank and go about their own business. Communication in my opinion is essential and I always invite my gunner/pilot in a squad so I can use voIP.

Ever since I got the jist of the chopper and what a devastating piece of equipment it is, I've said that it's the best weapon on the game and I'm sure many people will agree with me. It can decimate entire teams and stop any attack from the opposition, in a way, as well as being the best attacking weapon it's also the best defense. How many times have you played on Wake for example where the USMC have got a flag and the Z10 has come along and cleaned out the flag, allowing for infantry to come and re-cap the flag?

It's these reasons I am reluctant to fly with inexperienced players and/or let 2 ranked players jump in the chopper, fly off and die 2 seconds later. Some may it is selfish but in reality, if you get 50 or so kills thats 50 less tickets for the other team and so you're essentially helping your team win, which is the whole point of the game.
FI-SCOTTY
+16|6687|Scotland
Nice video, east coast accent ?,if I had seen this at the start I might have been tempted to try choppers ,funnily enough I have been practising in single player,my TVing still sucks, speccially when you see the other TVing videos that are around.
officer_matt
I eat noobs for breakfast
+23|6220|Switzerland

lxcpikiman wrote:

i like ur accent.
SamFisher199
Airwhore
+40|6305|Netherlands

lxcpikiman wrote:

i like ur accent.
Same here
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6133

FI-SCOTTY wrote:

Nice video, east coast accent ?
It is indeed.  I'm not getting any more specific than that, though
Bernadictus
+1,055|6728

aj0405 wrote:

BeerzGod wrote:

yes they do,and they're fairly effective against APC's and mobile AA.they won't hurt tanks much but they WILL damage it.if it is smoking you can easily finish it off with the gun.
Actually, you can destroy the BTR and LAV with the Black Hawk miniguns.
tor11
Grunt
+18|6751|Os , Norway
thx man nice learning vids!
Ten24Alpha420
Yes I Cannabis
+13|6318
Ummm... Yeah... Thank you for the learning videos.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6562|United States

aj0405 wrote:

BeerzGod wrote:

I was actually referring to the people that, instead of tv guiding a tank or APC, proceed to unleash an endless stream of bullets. It's the same people you see running as the support kit and wasting entire clips on armor. I may have misworded a bit because I didn't mean that they don't damage at all, but unless the armor you're shooting at is halfway on fire with black smoke pouring out, you're only pissing your pilot off.
markzed
+5|6372
The only thing that I would like to add to this is DON'T BE A TK'ING DICKHEAD to get a chopper at the start of the round.

If you want to breed better pilots and gunners then let those who make it to the chopper first have a go. If they are bad, they will die and you'll get it back soon enough. Have some patience.

However, I do agree with what BeerzGod said earlier:

" 5. Don't bitch when you get teamkilled for the chopper after you've crashed it three times in a row."

Last edited by markzed (2007-07-15 00:43:48)

Ac1dh0u$3
+7|6634|Northern Ireland
when you say "east coast accent" i assume you mean the east coast of scotland ?
trepid_jesse
+4|6710
Booshit.

We're out of pet-rul.
Ultimatrox
+38|6225|Netherlands
so when is the 3rd movie coming out?
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6133
Jesse smells of wee.
trepid_jesse
+4|6710