Poll

Zee or Zed?

Zee54%54% - 140
Zed45%45% - 116
Total: 256
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.

Perv3rt wrote:

Damn it sounds like there are a bunch of "proper" English out there that are bitter towards our lazy American pronunciations.  Dudes, the war ended in 1783.  Don't be bitter that you got owned.  Part of the Treaty of Paris declared that the letter z would be pronounced "zee." Get over it & let it go.  Say it with me:  "Goosefraba!"
Every time you tell some to "Speak English" does it make you proud? I'd hate to go around telling people to speak American.
san4
The Mas
+311|6659|NYC, a place to live

Edited version of what CommieChipmunk wrote:

a BED CED DED ED f GED h i j k l m n o PED q r s TED u VED w x y ZED
If zed is more "proper English" than zee, you can't get any more proper than this.
jord

evilcartman99 wrote:

The British can't brush their teeth so how do you expect them to speak properly, because it is zee.
Fat.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6541|Portland, OR, USA

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

The British can't brush their teeth so how do you expect them to speak properly, because it is zee.
Fat.
lol.. ouch.

But at the end of the day, I could care less how you crazy Brits say Z.
l41e
+677|6619

k30dxedle wrote:

Zcchhkckkt.
This is in an ancient language which pwns all of your British and American lazy translating arses/asses, respectively.
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6207|Uk

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

Fat.
exactly, people think that americans are saying 'zed' as 'zee' but air is just escaping from inbetween the folds of their fat and makes the same noise. its very confusing business.

and btw, the people with clean teeth in america get them whitened. they dont do it themselves

k30dxedle wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

Zcchhkckkt.
This is in an ancient language which pwns all of your British and American lazy translating arses/asses, respectively.
if its so good, why are you using English? and dont give me that 'you wouldnt be bale to understand me' crap

Last edited by mkxiii (2007-07-03 12:53:27)

jord

CommieChipmunk wrote:

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

Fat.
lol.. ouch.

Can you not see this conversation has degenerated into stereotypes?

Tell me I drink Tea and that my country lost one of the many wars it's been in 300 years ago.
[RaWr]-Impsux
Have Guns, Will Travel.
+28|6527

Mekstizzle wrote:

I officially declare war on anyone that says Zee.
You lose. =]
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6207|Uk

jord wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

jord wrote:

Fat.
lol.. ouch.

Can you not see this conversation has degenerated into stereotypes?

Tell me I drink Tea and that my country lost one of the many wars it's been in 300 years ago.
yeh, and also america won the battle of britain....obv
l41e
+677|6619

mkxiii wrote:

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

Fat.
exactly, people think that americans are saying 'zed' as 'zee' but air is just escaping from inbetween the folds of their fat and makes the same noise. its very confusing business.

and btw, the people with clean teeth in america get them whitened. they dont do it themselves

k30dxedle wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

Zcchhkckkt.
if its so good, why are you using English? and dont give me that 'you wouldnt be bale to understand me' crap
"you wouldnt be bale to understand me"

Pfft, and Americans are lazy with English? Look at your own post!
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6207|Uk

k30dxedle wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

Fat.

k30dxedle wrote:

im English you BASTARD!!!!!!
l41e
+677|6619

mkxiii wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

Fat.

I didn't call you American, I just made fun of you.
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6207|Uk

k30dxedle wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

I didn't call you American, I just made fun of you.
sorry i read it as you Americans are lazy.

by the way, if you hadnt realised, im 'special'
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6272
I pronounce it "Zee".
evilcartman99
The Octagon
+18|6383|da ville, va

jord wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

Fat.
I'm 12% body fat just so you know, that is athletic, I don't know how much average is but I think it is close to 20%
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6496|South Florida
ZED??? Wtf is zed!!!

Zee thank you very much!
15 more years! 15 more years!
elite3444
The other kid
+24|6607|USA
why do u say it Zed? do u pronounce that like Jed-Bed-Ted-Fed
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6671|MoVal So-Cal
What the fuck is a "zed?"
elite3444
The other kid
+24|6607|USA
this is from wikipedia on z:

In many dialects of English, the letter's name is pronounced zed /zɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta (see below). In American English dialects, however, its name is pronounced zee /ziː/, deriving from a late 17th-century English dialectal form
oChaos.Haze
+90|6409
Z is the twenty-sixth and final letter of the modern Latin alphabet.

In many dialects of English, the letter's name is pronounced zed /zɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta (see below). In American English dialects, however, its name is pronounced zee /ziː/, deriving from a late 17th-century English dialectal form.

Basically Americans did with it what they did with everything the British spoke or used.  Made it simpler, more effective, more logical, and better.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

It's all because most of the immigrants who populated the US where either religious extremists or convicts. As such many of them were a bit thick, so they needed to dumb down the language a bit.

If we'd realised the Americans would come up with the travesty that is Zee, we'd have never let you have your independence.

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6707|Salt Lake City

The Brits are just upset that we owned their ass in the fight for this country, and now we are owning their language.

ZEE
Longbow
+163|6617|Odessa, Ukraine
Zed , atleast I was teached so ...
A12345
+77|6441
for me its ZEE, question to the British - how do you pronounce zebra? is it zedbra?
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6207|Uk

elite3444 wrote:

why do u say it Zed? do u pronounce that like Jed-Bed-Ted-Fed
do you pronouce 'ZED' 'Zef'? no didnt think so, so why relate it to other letters that dont follow language rules?

A12345 wrote:

for me its ZEE, question to the British - how do you pronounce zebra? is it zedbra?
why do we get so many retarded arguements in this thread?  do you pronounce the word 'make' as emm-a-kay-e? no, becuase you dont fucking say the letters in words like they are on their own the majority of the time

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

The Brits are just upset that we owned their ass in the fight for this country, and now we are owning their language.

ZEE
your country was too retarded to make its own language like everyone else and so it just took english, shat on it, decided it had made it better and then went bragging to everyone about how they won every war and conflict in existence ever. single handed, and didnt turn up a few years late for any of them

Last edited by mkxiii (2007-07-03 13:59:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard