Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

My brother has had a dell laptop tablet for about 2+ years now. And it runs very very slow for him. Slow shutting down and starting up. Programs run slow and take awhile to load. He is doing some courses for rendering and wants it to have the speed it once had new. I told him we can either do a full top to bottom cleaning...Or save all files and programs on my external drive and reinstall windows...

So what should I do?

I thought maybe clean it first, and if it doesn't help reinstall windows...This is what I would do for cleaning:

Run a registry cleaner
Clean out all internet files
Uninstall all unneccesary programs
Delete all files that went along with those programs
Run virus program
Defrag his drive...

Thats all I can think of. Any more tips? Would re-installing windows work to make it faster?

Last edited by Im_Dooomed (2007-07-02 12:56:54)

Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
brickZ28
Master of Puppets
+15|6755|IL
Personally I think after 2 years you will have so much shit in your Reg and DLLs that you would be better off either sys restore as far back as possible or just reformat. I actually reformat my PC about every 6- 8 months.  Again my opinion.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6183|California
well, his registry could also be infected or corrupt which it is hard to bring back to normal, and yeah, after two years of having it, i would say just re-format and start over
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6460|Stealth City, UK

brickZ28 wrote:

Personally I think after 2 years you will have so much shit in your Reg and DLLs that you would be better off either sys restore as far back as possible or just reformat. I actually reformat my PC about every 6- 8 months.  Again my opinion.
Seems about right, the crap laptops go through and the stress they are under usually means they're useless after a few years anyway.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6702|West Yorkshire, U.K
Format it,It will run ALOT smoother but tell him to back up his files. Has he tried disc defragmentation? but that really doesn't do much
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

Ok, so the general consensus is to re-install windows. Well I am afraid I don't feel save doing that as I've never done it before. Does anybody have good advice as what to do (I know about backing up files) Anything else that would help?

brickZ28 - You've said you do it every 6-8 months, so what can you offer me for advice?

If I get it done successfully I think the first thing I should do is go to Microsoft's website and get every windows update I can. Anybody got links?
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6370|uk

Nothing beats a reformat.

Doing all that shit you said you would do, would be more time consuming, and less rewarding than a reformat.

Reinstalling Windows XP is easy.

TAKEN FROM http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html and EDITED TO SUIT YOU NEEDS!

First you will need to ensure you have an XP boot disk

Next go into your BIOS and set the boot order so that CD is before Hard Drive.

Put the CD into a drive.

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

When a message comes up saying "Press any key to boot from disk"- press a key.

Setup will start copying files

Next you will get the option to repair or enter setup, choose to enter setup. Press ENTER.

Press F8 if you agree to the license.

Setup will scan for previous Windows installations

Choose to delete the partition by pressing "D". You will then be prompted to create a new partition in the empty space. This will remove all data from the deleted space.

Choose the NTFS file system from this screen.

If you have more that one partition or hard drive on your system, make sure you are formatting the correct partition/drive.

Press Enter to continue.

Setup will show a progress box and reboot when copying files is complete.

When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key. If CD boots anyway, remove CD and reboot.

From this point, you will follow the on screen prompts.

If you live outside the US, you will probably need to modify the default settings.

Personalize your XP Enter your Name and Organization.

Enter the Product Key. The Key is located on the back of the CD folder in the Retail versions, and on a holographic label with the OEM versions purchased with a piece of hardware. Write this key down and secure it in a safe place in case the original is misplaced or destroyed through natural causes.

Choose a name for the computer, this should be a unique name for the computer, especially if it is to be connected to a network. In Pro, you are given the option of creating a password or leaving it blank.

Set your Time Zone and Time and Date.

Setup will scan for network.

If detected you will have the choice to choose a typical  configuration or custom. Choose typical if you are unsure.

For home you will choose your workgroup, if a network is already established and you intend to connect to it, use the existing workgroup name, otherwise, I suggest using the default.

For Pro, the same goes for Pro as suggested for Home, but you will have the choice to join a Domain, if you do not have a Domain or do not know leave blank.

Setup will continue and reboot when completed ignore the "Press Any Key".

The XP loading window will now display after reboot.

You will see a change display settings, say yes, and accept the setting if you can see the screen after accepting.

You will see a welcome screen, press next and unfortunately you have to wait for the dialog to finish.

Set up your internet or network connection.

This is the Activate, Register screen. You must activate within 30 days of installing XP, but you do not ever have to register, Registration is completely optional and if you do not register, no personal information will be transmitted during activation. If you register, then activation will transmit that information along with the activation. The first Activation is usually done over the internet if the computer is connected to the internet, otherwise, it can be accomplished by copying the alphanumeric string from the activation screen and make a phone call to the phone number [Usually Toll Free] supplied on screen. The activation center will then give you a slightly longer number to input into for activation. I suggest you do not activate immediately in case you need to make hard ware changes, or install to a different system within the thirty days, and you will be reminded on boot up until you do.

Setup users screen. Set at least one user for yourself or the person that will be using the computer.
All Done

It really, isnt as hard as it looks. You CANNOT go wrong

Last edited by Titch2349 (2007-07-02 14:53:06)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)
1. Buy Diskeeper.
2. Reinstall Windows.
3. Install Diskeeper.

As Titch says, you could do all the things you suggest, but it'll take ages and it won't clear things out as well as a full re-install.

Reinstalling windows will clear out all the crap, spyware, etc, etc.
Diskeeper will keep the HDD nicely defraged.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-07-02 15:03:09)

Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6504|UK
format without a shadow of a doubt - cleanup will take longer and wont be as effective
taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
A fresh install does work wonders but also your RAM can wear out.  I didn' t know this and it just gave me an excuse to built a new computer.  I sold my old system to a friend and he bought new memory and it is like new again without a fresh reinstall.

Also you can try regscrub XP.  It is the best free reg cleaner I have found that doesn't screw up the whole thing.

Last edited by taxi2you (2007-07-02 15:11:37)

Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

Cool. Well looks like I got all things answered here so far. I'll check out that link you gave me Titch. Thanks for the help guys.

Anybody know if or how you can save the XP themes? Like the colors of your layout and stuff?
brickZ28
Master of Puppets
+15|6755|IL
As mentioned above.  do a backup of things you absolutely need and cannot replace.  The reason I reformat is cause I get too much useless shit on my PC and then I find myself backing it all up.  Sometimes its best o just say Fuck It C:\ format hit enter and go LOLz.  Its really best to backup only things your REALLY REALLY need as most of your drivers and crap can be gotten off the web.   If you have a restore disk that is the best thing to use.  Also make sure you have all your ISP stuff handy,  My bro did this once and after he formatted he ask how to get all his drivers and such i told him to DL them and his reply, I cant get on the net.  ARRRGHHH!!!!!  I guess make sure your shit is all lined up before you commit to this.  The advice here is excellent advice and if you Google formatting a Hard drive you will find even more.  Read thru it and sift out the info you like.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard