Poll

If the people of Iran attempt to remove Amedinijad, should we help?

Yes, full scale invasion in support17%17% - 16
Yes, only airstrikes6%6% - 6
Yes, only by supplying weapons16%16% - 15
No, not our business59%59% - 54
Total: 91
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6465|The Land of Scott Walker
From reading here and from conversations that I've had with people who have family in Iran, I hear there are moderate elements in Iran that do not support the current leadership of their country and are “westernized” to a certain degree.  Perhaps they will rise up if the radical element goes too far with its agenda?  If they do revolt, should the US/Britain/western allies help or should we stay home and let them figure it out on their own?  Please post why you chose your answer.
san4
The Mas
+311|6708|NYC, a place to live
US involvement would make Iranians suspicious of the reform movement. Plus, the current US government is so incompetent that I don't trust them to help the reformers without screwing things up. They would act without having any real understanding of Iranian culture, society or politics.

The time to offer help to the reformers is after they've taken over, and only if they want it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6736
None of our business.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6585|Area 51

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

None of our business.
derstralle
Iron Egg Skill, bitches!
+29|6235
Only on request.
And online if the specific faction we support has enough support within the Iranian public.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6472|Cambridge, UK

No, not our/your business
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6539|Πάϊ
I'm positive I've heard Ahmadinejad say some pretty stupid "radical" shit at times. But what has the current Iranian government actually done to deserve the term "radical"?

voted the latter btw
ƒ³
Balok77
+28|6168
America should just keep its nose out of other countries business for once
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6705|United States of America
Nah, if someone else wants to, let them go. Switzerland has been due to take that position for years now
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6792|PNW

And if we do, will we be 'pushing our system of government' on them too?
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6364|New York
If Ahmadinejad was removed the vacuum of power would be so great that the ensuing violence would tear that country apart and make the Iraq situation look like a cake walk.  We are best to leave middle eastern peoples to destroy themselves as they place no value on human life and hate us anyway.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6652|949

Villain{NY} wrote:

If Ahmadinejad was removed the vacuum of power would be so great that the ensuing violence would tear that country apart and make the Iraq situation look like a cake walk.  We are best to leave middle eastern peoples to destroy themselves as they place no value on human life and hate us anyway.
I would argue that there would be no "vacuum of power" if Ahmadinejad was removed.  The true power in Iran does not come from the President of Iran.  He is more of a figurehead, which may be why he often uses anti-west/anti-Israel rhetoric; He is probably trying to gain favor with the Islamic clerics who actually do run the country (the Council of Guardians, and the Supreme Leader).

Barring human rights atrocities such as genocide, we should not interfere with Iranian sovereignty at all.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6756|Salt Lake City

We should stay out of it.  Any interference on our part would make other ME countries and Muslim Radicals suspicious or blame us outright.  It could also act a clear sign to hardliners and radicals that moderate Muslims are not going to allow their democratic country to become the next battlefront.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6545|South Florida
who the fuck is Amedinijad
15 more years! 15 more years!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6652|949

And who is to say we are not already trying to undermine the current Iranian regime?  I'll see if I can find any concrete articles on the subject, but I remember reading about the CIA trying to foment dissent among Iranian citizens there.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6483|meh-land
if anything goes wrong its the US military's fault, so i say no unless we can do so without actually being to be involved in a war, ie long range missile strikes and special forces black ops assasinations...  which can't really be proven against us...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6621|132 and Bush

Bay    of     Pigs
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6602|SE London

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

None of our business.
Exactly.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6243|Escea

DesertFox- wrote:

Nah, if someone else wants to, let them go. Switzerland has been due to take that position for years now
Its Irelands turn
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6864|Waikato, Aotearoa
Im a Kiwi - Why should I give a rats arse about whats happening in the Middle East??
Someone trying to overthrow the Iranian President? Why should the US be involved?? The US should stay out
of other countries affairs

Did I mention I dont give a rats arse?

Last edited by -101-InvaderZim (2007-06-29 13:51:48)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6425|North Carolina
Did we intervene to help overthrow the Shah?  didn't think so...

We should stay out.

Granted, I would love to see Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollah get overthrown and executed.  Maybe then, they'd have a real democracy over there.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6507|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

Turquoise wrote:

Did we intervene to help overthrow the Shah?  didn't think so...

We should stay out.

Granted, I would love to see Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollah get overthrown and executed.  Maybe then, they'd have a real democracy over there.
Thats my stand also.
Belx
+4|6698|New York, New York
Democracy cannot be forced upon a people, and US involvement will lead to a democracy.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6425|North Carolina

Belx wrote:

Democracy cannot be forced upon a people, and US involvement will lead to a democracy.
will not, perhaps?...
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6507|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

Turquoise wrote:

Belx wrote:

will not, perhaps?...
They people in the Middle East don't want Democracy, they are generally loyal to their tribe, faction, ETC. You are talking about an area that has pretty much been RULED by a strongman in one form or another. Taking Democracy and throwing it in a countries lap and telling them to make it work is like giving a second grader a car and telling him to drive it in a F1 race. You wont get desired results, only a flaming wreck.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard