=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6608|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
On Sunday July 1st the ban on smoking in enclosed places comes into effect in England & Wales and makes tomorrow night the last in which you can enjoy a fag with your pint at the local.  I for one plan to go out with a camera so I can take a picture of myself with a ciggie to show the grand kids.  Are there any other UK smokers here or anyone other smokers who live under a ban like this already?

I live in Oxford and for most of the pubs, popping outside won't be a problem; being a University city most of the pubs in town have gardens (although you do have to put up with a lot of American students, lol).  Our nightclubs, in comparison, won't currently let you out once you're in so how is that going to work?

Muscian Joe Jackson is an outspoken opponent of the smoking ban and had this to say: -

"Smokers are now the only minority whose minority status is quoted as justification for abuse.  Britain is becoming a society in which the extreme agendas of health officials and lobby groups are allowed to determine public policy. Freedom of choice, tradition, tolerance, pleasure, property rights, market forces and public opinion are being swept aside by a fanatical fringe."
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6500|Stealth City, UK

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

On Sunday July 1st the ban on smoking in enclosed places comes into effect in England & Wales and makes tomorrow night the last in which you can enjoy a fag with your pint at the local.  I for one plan to go out with a camera so I can take a picture of myself with a ciggie to show the grand kids.  Are there any other UK smokers here or anyone other smokers who live under a ban like this already?

I live in Oxford and for most of the pubs, popping outside won't be a problem; being a University city most of the pubs in town have gardens (although you do have to put up with a lot of American students, lol).  Our nightclubs, in comparison, won't currently let you out once you're in so how is that going to work?

Muscian Joe Jackson is an outspoken opponent of the smoking ban and had this to say: -

"Smokers are now the only minority whose minority status is quoted as justification for abuse.  Britain is becoming a society in which the extreme agendas of health officials and lobby groups are allowed to determine public policy. Freedom of choice, tradition, tolerance, pleasure, property rights, market forces and public opinion are being swept aside by a fanatical fringe."
You're the fucking stinky, unhealthy minority my friend! I can't fucking wait!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6281|Escea

Never smoked and if I ever do, It'll be a cigar, not a puny cigarette
Onidax
+41|6551
Smoking cigs sucks. Weed is banned here still but people smoke that all the time.. even if you get caught youll only get a warning. I do however hate normal smoking...
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6354|Bloomington Indiana
i live in bloomington indiana, usa...this just happened here within last 2-3 years since ive been here. no more smoking in bars or within 30 feet of a door...i have to walk outside and risk public intox now
thanks assholes
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6711
cheese with your cigar?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord
+2,382|6736|The North, beyond the wall.

buLLet_t00th wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

It's his choice if he wants to smoke, who are you to tell unhealthy people what they can and can't do.

At the end of the day, I don't smoke, but I'm not going to make out that I'm better than people that do smoke. That's because I'm not, we all have something that's unhealthy that we do...

Least we can't blame Muslims for this.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6281|Escea

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

It's his choice if he wants to smoke, who are you to tell unhealthy people what they can and can't do.

At the end of the day, I don't smoke, but I'm not going to make out that I'm better than people that do smoke. That's because I'm not, we all have something that's unhealthy that we do...

Or can we? Dun dun duhhhh.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6547|Gogledd Cymru

M.O.A.B wrote:

jord wrote:

Or can we? Dun dun duhhhh.
lmao maybe ?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6690|949

California adopted a similar stance a few years ago...People bitched about it at the time, but now no one seems to really care.  Just a lot of reminiscing.  I couldn't care less.  I actually would rather go outside and smoke than stay inside a hot, smoky bar.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

But why should I have to breathe the unfiltered smoke? If they want to smoke they can go and do it somewhere else, I haven't told them they can't smoke, the big boys upstairs do that!
Onidax
+41|6551

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

stfu noob. He can still smoke, just not in public places. And you want to know who can tell unhealthy people what and what not they can do? The Gorevnment, so deal with it.
jord

buLLet_t00th wrote:

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

But why should I have to breathe the unfiltered smoke? If they want to smoke they can go and do it somewhere else, I haven't told them they can't smoke, the big boys upstairs do that!
It should be the owners choice.

What's wrong with the designated no smoking parts in Pubs/ Restuaraunts?
jord

Onidax wrote:

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

stfu noob. He can still smoke, just not in public places. And you want to know who can tell unhealthy people what and what not they can do? The Gorevnment, so deal with it.
I'm not even going to think of a reply for you.

Get out of this section.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

jord wrote:

Because waitresses and waiters still have to go and serve food and drinks there (I know thats a lame excuse but thats one of the reasons).

A smoker has the choice of either smoking or not smoking......a non-smoker doesn't have the choice of whether breathing it in or not (unless they're really good at holding their breath). Think about it for a second....it makes sense!

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-06-28 10:48:25)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6686|IRELAND

We have had it for 2 months now. I don't smoke tobacco so I am all for it. Only problem is now all you can smell is unhygienic people and beer farts.
Ryan
+1,230|6901|Alberta, Canada

My city, in Alberta, finally got a smoke ban. But it isn't proving to help much..
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6511|Ontario, Canada

buLLet_t00th wrote:

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Because waitresses and waiters still have to go and serve food and drinks there (I know thats a lame excuse but thats one of the reasons).

A smoker has the choice of either smoking or not smoking......a non-smoker doesn't have the choice of whether breathing it in or not (unless they're really good at holding their breath). Think about it for a second....it makes sense!
He's got a point.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6354|Bloomington Indiana

JahManRed wrote:

We have had it for 2 months now. I don't smoke tobacco so I am all for it. Only problem is now all you can smell is unhygienic people and beer farts.
id take cigarette smoke over beer farts anyday
jord

buLLet_t00th wrote:

jord wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Fair enough, but before this ban there was still non smoking public places.

Do you really not think it should be down to the owners?

If you think about it, all the people who hate smokers would go to a pub where it is banned. That pub owner would get lots of customers...

All the smokers could go to a smoking pub, and sit and inhale smoke(their choice).

Then the two types of people don't need to see each other, and everyone is happy.
Surgeons

what if there were a group of four friends, two of them smooked and two of them didnt, and they all wanted to be together ? what would happen then jord, think off all the chaos and abortions that would happen !
jord

surgeon_bond wrote:

what if there were a group of four friends, two of them smooked and two of them didnt, and they all wanted to be together ? what would happen then jord, think off all the chaos and abortions that would happen !
Then they could do alternate days.

One day at each, once again, everyone is happy.
Surgeons

jord wrote:

surgeon_bond wrote:

Then they could do alternate days.

One day at each, once again, everyone is happy.
what if they had an important meeting for the rest of their life and could only do one day ?
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6493|UK
best thing UK ever did really.

all those smokers puffing on there cancer sticks.

it also means, you can more of a reason to stop now.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6642|England

jord wrote:

Do you really not think it should be down to the owners?

If you think about it, all the people who hate smokers would go to a pub where it is banned. That pub owner would get lots of customers...

All the smokers could go to a smoking pub, and sit and inhale smoke(their choice).

Then the two types of people don't need to see each other, and everyone is happy.
Exactly.  You win my sensible solution of the day award.

Personally I don't smoke (gave up 3 years ago now), but no ciggie with a pint anymore?  That is a bad situation.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard