genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6675|Middle of nowhere
Ok, so about a week and a half ago my computer was just fine, it downloaded shit really fast, and nothing was really a problem, then all of a sudden everything started going REAAAALLY slow.  Like, i download at max 10 k/s and it takes about 30 mins to load a 4 min YouTube video

i've done various virus scans, updated my firewall, re-installed Firefox... but still the same thing

any idea what's happened?
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6646|Keyboard

genius_man16 wrote:

Ok, so about a week and a half ago my computer was just fine, it downloaded shit really fast, and nothing was really a problem, then all of a sudden everything started going REAAAALLY slow.  Like, i download at max 10 k/s and it takes about 30 mins to load a 4 min YouTube video

i've done various virus scans, updated my firewall, re-installed Firefox... but still the same thing

What happened is that you got greedy and DLed so much stuff that you caught a virus/spyware.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA
restart your modem and router
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL

Yaocelotl wrote:

genius_man16 wrote:

What happened is that you got greedy and DLed so much stuff that you caught a virus/spyware.
yep, don't download from random sites, there not all legit, and virus scans can only detect KNOWN viruses, theres alot of unknown ones out there too.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore

S.Lythberg wrote:

Yaocelotl wrote:

genius_man16 wrote:

yep, don't download from random sites, there not all legit, and virus scans can only detect KNOWN viruses, theres alot of unknown ones out there too.
i only download from filefront

oh, and how do you restart your modem/router?

Last edited by genius_man16 (2007-06-27 17:56:18)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL
turn it off, assuming you have an external modem
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
uhh... like... the power?

oh, and if it's not the modem/router, is there a way i would be able to look for more bugs?

Last edited by genius_man16 (2007-06-27 18:01:47)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA

genius_man16 wrote:

uhh... like... the power?

oh, and if it's not the modem/router, is there a way i would be able to look for more bugs?
yes. just pull the plug out for 10 seconds or so.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
alrighty

*attempts*
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6146|Scotland
don't listen to then, your ISP probably has a FUP, and you violated it, hence in peak times it will slow right down, outside peak times i get 250 - 300 inside peak times i get 32kb/s max, don't do anything except phone your ISP to double check. These people lie.
dubbs
+105|6628|Lexington, KY
Pay your ISP the money you owe them.  They are just being nice, and giving you a reminder. 

Have you installed any new items on your network?  Changed routers, got VoIP?

This is a long shoot, but if you use a router and it has wifi, is somebody leeching off of you, or worse limited the speed your router for your IP/Mac address?
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore

Bruce-SuperNub wrote:

don't listen to then, your ISP probably has a FUP, and you violated it, hence in peak times it will slow right down, outside peak times i get 250 - 300 inside peak times i get 32kb/s max, don't do anything except phone your ISP to double check. These people lie.
except this has been happening for about 10 days, i've paid my bill, and don't have wifi... but thanks
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6146|Scotland
zomg, FUP Lasts a month, it doesn't come off until the first of the month, it doesn't matter if you paid your bill. It is done by a computer not by people, you can't get taken off it.
dubbs
+105|6628|Lexington, KY

genius_man16 wrote:

Bruce-SuperNub wrote:

except this has been happening for about 10 days, i've paid my bill, and don't have wifi... but thanks
Did you add/change anything on your network?
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6567|United States
Do you keep a lot of bandwidth using programs open all the time? Xfire, MSN, yahoo, etc. etc.? If it's not that then, in my opinion, you either completely maxed out your monthly allotment of bandwidth, there might be something wrong with your modem, or your ISP is just experiencing some upgrading/maintenance. About a year ago my Comcast went incredibly slow and only worked part of the time for about two weeks while they performed a massive upgrade to their system.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA

BeerzGod wrote:

Do you keep a lot of bandwidth using programs open all the time? Xfire, MSN, yahoo, etc. etc.? If it's not that then, in my opinion, you either completely maxed out your monthly allotment of bandwidth, there might be something wrong with your modem, or your ISP is just experiencing some upgrading/maintenance. About a year ago my Comcast went incredibly slow and only worked part of the time for about two weeks while they performed a massive upgrade to their system.
same here. drove me nuts. i was pissed as hell. missed a clan match for that.
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6146|Scotland
I already told him whats wrong.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
aha!!

it was the modem!!

thanks a lot guys, i can't believe i worried about this for 10 days, lol
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6341|New York
A useful tool that I recently downloaded was System Mechanic 7 http://www.iolo.com/sm/7/, it's free to try for 30 days and there are dozens of tools you can utilize to clean your P.C. and boost your performance.  I worked so well for me that after the trial I purchased it from Wal-Mart for around $40.
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6146|Scotland
Or seeing as it's outside peak time in America now the FUP Isn't in action, if it happens again tomorrow night, phone your ISP to confirm it.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA

Bruce-SuperNub wrote:

I already told him whats wrong.
i win.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6688|Calgary
Try this. works good getting rid of crap

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Board footer