BVC
+325|6697
I was reading the following article on a local site when it occurred to me that if it is a muslim's duty to seek knowledge/education, could it not be said that the taliban are, through their attempted kidnapping of a school principal, being un-islamic?

Discuss.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4108819a12.html
Failed Taliban bid to kidnap NZ schoolmaster
NZPA | Tuesday, 26 June 2007

An armed militant was killed and a guard sustained bullet wounds when six gunmen tried to abduct the New Zealand principal of a Muslim school in north-western Pakistan on Sunday.

The NZ principal of Muslim Public School Surrani, Stephen Joneth Hyker, escaped the kidnap bid, Pakistan's International News website reported today.

Six armed men broke into Mr Hyker's house within the school at Bannu, a town close to the volatile North Waziristan tribal region.

The intruders shot the school guard on duty and seriously wounded him when he refused to let them reach the principal. The wounded guard in turn killed one of the kidnappers and forced others to flee the house.

The guard told investigators that five or six armed men who "looked like Taliban", demanded to know where they could find the principal of the school and opened fire when he refused to help them, said Mehrullah Khan, a police officer in the town.

The other attackers fled. The wounded attacker died at the scene, while the guard was recovering in a hospital.

"We think it was an attempted kidnapping," said Ayub Khan, another police officer.

Bannu is in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province where Taliban militants and their Pakistani allies are asserting ever-greater control.

In March, gunmen kidnapped and held for several days the principal of a school in Tank where police had earlier prevented militants from recruiting students.

In January this year the town was the site of an attack by suspected Islamist gunmen who killed three policemen and took their vehicle.

And in June last year at least 10 masked gunmen fired from a moving pickup truck at a police patrol near Bannu, killing another three policemen.

Last edited by Pubic (2007-06-25 21:41:38)

fitz8402
+10|6612|The Halls of Montezuma

Pubic wrote:

I was reading the following article on a local site, when it occurred to me that if it is a muslim's duty to seek knowledge/education, could it not be said that the taliban, through their attempted kidnapping of a school principal, are un-islamic?

Discuss.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4108819a12.html
Failed Taliban bid to kidnap NZ schoolmaster
NZPA | Tuesday, 26 June 2007

An armed militant was killed and a guard sustained bullet wounds when six gunmen tried to abduct the New Zealand principal of a Muslim school in north-western Pakistan on Sunday.

The NZ principal of Muslim Public School Surrani, Stephen Joneth Hyker, escaped the kidnap bid, Pakistan's International News website reported today.

Six armed men broke into Mr Hyker's house within the school at Bannu, a town close to the volatile North Waziristan tribal region.

The intruders shot the school guard on duty and seriously wounded him when he refused to let them reach the principal. The wounded guard in turn killed one of the kidnappers and forced others to flee the house.

The guard told investigators that five or six armed men who "looked like Taliban", demanded to know where they could find the principal of the school and opened fire when he refused to help them, said Mehrullah Khan, a police officer in the town.

The other attackers fled. The wounded attacker died at the scene, while the guard was recovering in a hospital.

"We think it was an attempted kidnapping," said Ayub Khan, another police officer.

Bannu is in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province where Taliban militants and their Pakistani allies are asserting ever-greater control.

In March, gunmen kidnapped and held for several days the principal of a school in Tank where police had earlier prevented militants from recruiting students.

In January this year the town was the site of an attack by suspected Islamist gunmen who killed three policemen and took their vehicle.

And in June last year at least 10 masked gunmen fired from a moving pickup truck at a police patrol near Bannu, killing another three policemen.
A muslims #1 mission is to convert or conquer those who wont convert
vedds
+52|6756|Christchurch New Zealand
Technically killing people and spreading islam via the threat of violence is unislamic, but what the hey if its good enough for mohammed.......
fitz8402
+10|6612|The Halls of Montezuma

vedds wrote:

Technically killing people and spreading islam via the threat of violence is unislamic, but what the hey if its good enough for mohammed.......
Says who?
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6700|NCFSU2
Don't forget: Kill infidels.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Interpretation is everything.

“Those who know nothing of Islam pretend that Islam counsels against war.   Those who say this are witless. Islam says: 'Kill all the unbelievers just as they would kill you all! Kill them, put them to the sword and scatter their armies.'”

The Ayatollah Khomeini
Xbone Stormsurgezz
deadlikeme667
+5|6171|MI
yeah Islam from most points of view is pretty twisted, but a few of the peace loving, "hey, convert if you want, but theres no pressure" Muslims still exist in Iraq, just ask Colby Buzzel in his book "My War: Killing time In Iraq" which is an excellent read
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6651|Keyboard
Taliban are fundamentalists, that is what blinds them to not tolerate/accept other religions/philosophies.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

fitz8402 wrote:

Which explains why they were explicitly told to protect Jews and Christians ("People's of the Book").......................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
So, they're still against people that aren't "of the book". Doesn't that count as some 2 Billion people.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-06-26 02:50:44)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
Where did I say that?  The fact that they're explicitly told to protect one group doesn't mean that they're told to harm the others.
vedds
And of course the fact that big mo himself did a little jew slaying, that doesnt set a preceedent at all does it. and dont even get me started on the whole tax for non muslims thing, seriously.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

vedds wrote:

And of course the fact that big mo himself did a little jew slaying, that doesnt set a preceedent at all does it. and dont even get me started on the whole tax for non muslims thing, seriously.
Oh, wow, they were taxed.  That is totally much worse than what Christians were doing to non-Christians at the time .

How the fuck else do you expect them to get the income needed to run an empire?
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...
If you could show me a tiny scrap of evidence that Muhammad killed Jews, I'll concede your point.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Yaocelotl wrote:

Taliban are fundamentalists, that is what blinds them to not tolerate/accept other religions/philosophies.
Exactly. Don't let their actions speak for all Muslims. Grave mistake, that...

but then again if you're simply looking for an excuse to be aggressive, who gives a fuck
ƒ³
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6702
For those of you that think that Islam is the only religion with violent roots, I would advise you to take a closer look at the bible:

Joshua 1:16-18 wrote:

16 Then they answered Joshua, "Whatever you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go. 17 Just as we fully obeyed Moses, so we will obey you. Only may the LORD your God be with you as he was with Moses. 18 Whoever rebels against your word and does not obey your words, whatever you may command them, will be put to death. Only be strong and courageous!"

Joshua 6:20-21 wrote:

20 When the trumpets sounded, the people shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so every man charged straight in, and they took the city. 21 They devoted the city to the LORD and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys.

Leviticus 20:13 wrote:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Leviticus 20:14 wrote:

And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

Leviticus 20:15 wrote:

And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.
(Not that I endorse Beastiality, but still)

Numbers 31:7-18 wrote:

7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho. [a]

13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. 16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
The Bible is chock-full of this sort of thing, but I don't have time to look up any more. If you care to include direct acts from God Himself, you can read up on the Biblical flood and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Anyway, I think fundamentalist, crazy muslims are as bad as the next guy, but let's not forget that the 'nice' religions that live over here are based on equally abhorrent values.
vedds

Bubbalo wrote:

vedds wrote:

Oh, wow, they were taxed.  That is totally much worse than what Christians were doing to non-Christians at the time .

How the fuck else do you expect them to get the income needed to run an empire?
LOL bubbalo

how about doing a little research on "jizya".

Effectively, i come to your town, with my army. you have the option of paying a tax, or being killed.

and the difference between mohammed doing this and say a Christian warlord doing the same thing is that a psychopath can justify the same by saying mohammed did it, whereas Jesus didnt do no killin or taxin or even threatening with violence.  So you see some asshole that wants to kill a few unbelievers has a direct preecedent in Islam, whereas in Christianity its a little more difficult to justify. But nice obfuscation by bringing the Christian thing into it bubs. true to form.

And tetrino - just so ive got this straight, you are saying Mohammed never killed any Jews?

Skruples, by bringing out old testament books, youre kind of missing the point of Christianity. the whole point of the new testament is the forgiving of sins, Jesus suffering for the crimes of the populace etc.

sorry guys but im off on holiday for a couple of weeks tommorrow , so if i just dissapear from the debate at some point thats why.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...
I am saying where is the proof Muhammad has ever killed Jews?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

fitz8402 wrote:

I wonder why no-one tried to convert me when I was in Morocco, Turkey, Jordan or Palestine? I wonder why Nezzar on the 1st floor or Imran on the 5th floor hasn't tried to convert me either? Or conquer me for that matter...

*yawn*
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

vedds wrote:

Effectively, i come to your town, with my army. you have the option of paying a tax, or being killed.
Yeah..........and?  That's how the law was kept in those days.  If you didn't pay taxes in Britain then all the kings horses and all the kings men would tear you a new one for being a traitor.  You know that term hung, drawn and quartered?  That referred to a favourite method of execution by the Christian king of England in which he would hang a man, then send a quarter of his body to each corner of the UK (his head would remain in London on the bridge?).  How forgiving of him.

Also, how dare you steal my smilie!

vedds wrote:

and the difference between mohammed doing this and say a Christian warlord doing the same thing is that a psychopath can justify the same by saying mohammed did it, whereas Jesus didnt do no killin or taxin or even threatening with violence.  So you see some asshole that wants to kill a few unbelievers has a direct preecedent in Islam, whereas in Christianity its a little more difficult to justify.
Then explain the Crusades ('specially all the Jew murdering they got into).

vedds wrote:

But nice obfuscation by bringing the Christian thing into it bubs. true to form.
Yes, because it's totally irrelevant that in Europe they were killing non-believers instead of taxing them...................
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

CameronPoe wrote:

fitz8402 wrote:

I wonder why no-one tried to convert me when I was in Morocco, Turkey, Jordan or Palestine? I wonder why Nezzar on the 1st floor or Imran on the 5th floor hasn't tried to convert me either? Or conquer me for that matter...

*yawn*
Exactly, there seems to be a lot of Muslims out there who just aint pulling their weight when it comes to their religious duties!

I like the way many of us in the West choose to keep the whole Crusade issue quiet when talking about religious genocide; or side-step it by saying "oh, but that was a long time ago". When are we allowed to start referring to the holocaust in the same way?
stef10
+173|6484|Denmark

vedds wrote:

If just you knew how many Jews and people Muhammed has kill.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
The main problem is that there are a very limited number of Korans translated into Farci so the uneducated people of Afghanistan will beleive the things about their religion that the power-hungry Taliban leaders tell them because they have nothing else to go by.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Skruples wrote:

The Bible is chock-full of this sort of thing, but I don't have time to look up any more. If you care to include direct acts from God Himself, you can read up on the Biblical flood and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Anyway, I think fundamentalist, crazy muslims are as bad as the next guy, but let's not forget that the 'nice' religions that live over here are based on equally abhorrent values.
The Bible evolved. Leviticus is the old testament.

As far as I know there hasn't been any revisions to these statements.

Qur'an:9:5      "Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."

Qur'an:9:29      "Fight those who do not believe until they all surrender, paying the protective tax in submission."

Qur'an:8:39      "Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah."

Qur'an:8:39      "So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world)."

Qur'an:9:14      "Fight them and Allah will punish them by your hands, lay them low, and cover them with shame. He will help you over them."

Qur'an:8:65      "O Prophet, urge the faithful to fight. If there are twenty among you with determination they will vanquish two hundred; if there are a hundred then they will slaughter a thousand unbelievers, for the infidels are a people devoid of understanding."

Ishaq:578      "Crushing the heads of the infidels and splitting their skulls with sharp swords, we continually thrust and cut at the enemy. Blood gushed from their deep wounds as the battle wore them down. We conquered bearing the Prophet's fluttering war banner. Our cavalry was submerged in rising dust, and our spears quivered, but by us the Prophet gained victory."

Qur'an:5:94      "Believers, Allah will make a test for you in the form of a little game in which you reach out for your lances. Any who fails this test will have a grievous punishment."
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

CameronPoe wrote:

fitz8402 wrote:

*yawn*
Try passing off a skinny red head as muslim.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard