Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6623|Little Bentcock
I used to play Half Life 2 and stopped for a little while. I went to play it again and got this engine error:

Failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

I used to be able to play it fine and now nothing. Any help?
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6178
In the error i see DX8, or direct x 8, if you previously set your HL2 to DX8, then change it back to 9, or 7, and see if it
Adams_BJ
How do I do that, I'm not so good with computers
Adams_BJ
Bump
Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6478| Texas
i'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but here is a link to DX9c (I think it is anyway) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6543|My head
What kind of computer: Notebook? What kind of video card?  We will need some details about your computer.  Also, try using google and put the CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer error in the search box and see what you can come up with.
Adams_BJ
I have the latest version of DX and as I have said it used to play fine, snowmanimal I can't remember how to check my specs in 'run' once I know how I will let you know.

And I have googled it but to no avail
Fateless
+36|6242|Jennifer Connellys Pants
@Adams_BJ   Start/Run  type "dxdiag" (minus the "" ) specs will show there. Or, go Start/Settings/Control Panel/System  shows on there too. By / , I mean the next step...ie click start, click settings etc. Also chech to see if you have the most up to date drivers for your PC/Notebook.

Fateless

*EDIT* On an interesting note, i just googled your problem too and seen the solution first page....you sure you googled it????????  hmm...

Last edited by Fateless (2007-06-26 12:07:04)

[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6178
sry it took so long, open steam, and click once (dont double click) on the CSS icon, find the properties button (next to launch game) and then set launch options, and now (from tweakguides)
-dxlevel [version]: Using this command allows you to force Half Life into only using the specified DirectX version for shaders. For example, use -dxlevel 70 to force Hardware DirectX7.0 level support for shaders. This means a reduction in image quality but an increase in performance. Other values include -dxlevel 80 -dxlevel 81 and -dxlevel90. Note that this only works if you choose a DirectX version which is lower than the current one supported by your graphics card. See the Hardware DirectX Version option under the In-Game settings for more details.
Adams_BJ
Ok well I have:

AMD Athlon 3000+
1024MB RAM
DirectX version 9.0c
RADEON 9550 AGP

And I did google it and saw what you saw, but there is a reason why I haven't done it, can't remember now, but it was good.
Adams_BJ

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

sry it took so long, open steam, and click once (dont double click) on the CSS icon, find the properties button (next to launch game) and then set launch options, and now (from tweakguides)
-dxlevel [version]: Using this command allows you to force Half Life into only using the specified DirectX version for shaders. For example, use -dxlevel 70 to force Hardware DirectX7.0 level support for shaders. This means a reduction in image quality but an increase in performance. Other values include -dxlevel 80 -dxlevel 81 and -dxlevel90. Note that this only works if you choose a DirectX version which is lower than the current one supported by your graphics card. See the Hardware DirectX Version option under the In-Game settings for more details.
Does this fix HL2 or CSS, because I really don't care about CSS
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6178
it will do the same thing for both, but if the problem isnt that you have turned it to direct x 8, it probably wont do a thing
Adams_BJ
That didn't work Mercenary, any other ideas?
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6178
Well, if your missing a file or something, why dont you just tottaly uninstall steam, delete the left over folders, and reinstall? works for almost everything imo
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Repair the installation.
Adams_BJ
I have uninstalled, re-installed still not working.

How do you repair installation unn13?
Adams_BJ
Can anyone link me to where I can get the latest drivers?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard