CommieChipmunk
+488|6562|Portland, OR, USA
So.. right now, my grandpa's sitting in a hospice care center, he's been there for about a month, he's 83.  Now that's not a short life by any means, but I love the man and I've only been here 16 years.  He's full of great stories and he's a great guy to just sit and talk to.  He has COPD and emphysema from smoking all of his life, he's tried to quit but like a lot of people he can't.  Smoking is going to kill him.  My other grandpa (in his early seventies) also has emphysema and is traveling down the same, slow, painful path that my other grandpa took.  He's was a heavy smoker, he quit recently, and still is a heavy drinker.  The damage is done.

Why the hell do people do this to themselves?  I see kids all over the place smoking cigarettes like they're going to live forever, like they're invincible or something.  Personally, when I'm in my 80s or 90s, hell my great grandpa lived to be 104 and was still all there and mobile at 103, I want to be enjoying life, spending time with my family, my grandkids, children... not laying in some bed trying to breathe. 

It's a personal choice, but certainly a selfish one.  Hopefully you won't make the same mistake.

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2007-06-17 15:15:44)

jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

We are all ignorant of something.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6555|British Columbia, Canada
I really don't see why people smoke cigerettes...

It not like you get high off it or anything, it's good for nothing but cancer and other diseases.
CommieChipmunk

jsnipy wrote:

yea.. I guess that's true..
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6448|the guy in the hind on gator

CommieChipmunk wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

yea.. I guess that's true..
im not/ prove me wrong
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6822|Denver colorado
I just love how some kids decide that its cool or it says something about them. I know this indie kid who smokes a lot. Its just so funny that while trying to fit into the whole 'indie kid' thing he successfully took some time off his life.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6650|California
I smoke...

Like a smoke stack...

What, do you want people to live forever?

Just make sure you tell HIM how you feel, that's the best you can do...
CommieChipmunk

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

I smoke...

Like a smoke stack...

I'm not guna bug the guy, he's going to die in the next month or so.. and there's not much good it would do anyway.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6748|United States of America
So, in other words, it's people's decisions now that last that will affect them which you don't to see? Well, I'm a cutter. What's the long term harm in it?
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

I smoke...

Like a smoke stack...

Dying is not the issue, its that painful stretch of life before death from lung cancer
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
Yeah, i don't want to be a vegetable when i'm old either. Just think of the futuristic shit that will be there when we're old (assuming world doesn't end by then). I would want to use that futuristic stuff, not just watch.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6453|UK
We all have our vices, what can you do.
CommieChipmunk

wah1188 wrote:

We all have our vices, what can you do.
not smoke..
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6650|California
What I was trying to say was...

Tell him you love him and WHY you think he's a COOL guy...

He would like to hear that...
CommieChipmunk

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

What I was trying to say was...

Tell him you love him and WHY you think he's a COOL guy...

He would like to hear that...
oh lol, gotchya
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
My question is still unanswered... I cut, not just scratching but bleeding. Now, many people look down upon it, I would like to know the long term affects?
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6543|CH/BR - in UK

My grandfather smoked for years and he saw his errors and he's really glad that it hasn't affected him since. He was lucky, but not everyone is - I would rather leave as little to luck as possible and just not do it.

-konfusion
Mekstizzle
WALKER
erm, blood loss? Marks on your arm?

"Cutting" is a habit. Like smoking. If you do it when you're old, it will adversely affect your health as you're not as resistant to harsh things like that.
san4
The Mas
+311|6681|NYC, a place to live
Don't most kids smoke to show that no one can tell them what to do? People tell them they shouldn't do it, so they do it. The fact that smoking is harmful is why it is attractive to teenagers who want to show they are independent from parents and other adults.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

Miller wrote:

My question is still unanswered... I cut, not just scratching but bleeding. Now, many people look down upon it, I would like to know the long term affects?
Pretty good sign of some deeper issues.   Might wanna try for help man. I am not being sarcastic.  I never hear of anyone who cuts who does it for no reason.

But we all have our vices or even reasons.  I don't smoke but I do drink like a fish.  Some people, Including me, may not want to live until they are 80. 

I'm not anywhere near emo, but If I were told I have a month to live, I'd say "about fucking time".
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

Mekstizzle wrote:

erm, blood loss? Marks on your arm?

"Cutting" is a habit. Like smoking. If you do it when you're old, it will adversely affect your health as you're not as resistant to harsh things like that.
When you're old, you're just stupid to cut, you would die far too easily if it got infected. But being 15, I don't see harm in it. I heal quickly, and the only thing that bugs me is playing guitar after cutting because bending the wrist hurts. Other than that, no problems. So why do people care?
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Miller wrote:

Pretty good sign of some deeper issues.   Might wanna try for help man. I am not being sarcastic.  I never hear of anyone who cuts who does it for no reason.

But we all have our vices or even reasons.  I don't smoke but I do drink like a fish.  Some people, Including me, may not want to live until they are 80. 

I'm not anywhere near emo, but If I were told I have a month to live, I'd say "about fucking time".
Yeah.. There were deeper issues. I haven't cut in two months and don't intend on it again. But if I had said that, no one would take it seriously.
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6338|Cali

jsnipy wrote:

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

Miller wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Miller wrote:

Yeah.. There were deeper issues. I haven't cut in two months and don't intend on it again. But if I had said that, no one would take it seriously.
as long as someone's listening to you about it.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Just because it heals quickly doesn't mean there's no harm. When it heals it doesn't heal as strong as it was before, especially if you keep on doing it. Besides that, cutting is just plain wrong. You're going against the basic instinct of all living organisms to survive, which, you can argue, is totally un-natural.

I think cutting yourself is quite serious and shouldn't be taken as a joke. I don't know anyone that does, and i don't. But it sounds like something really serious.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard