Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6519|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Throughout history, many great Nations and Empires claimed their spots through Military Prowess.  In your opinion, which Military, from ANY time period, was the best?  Be it the Roman Legions, Colonial Britain, Modern day USA, WWII Germany, the Mongol Hordes, anything.

Things to think about In Relationship to the rest of the world at the time:
-Superiority
-Response time and Mobilization
-Morale
-Equipment
-Numbers
-Supply Lines
-Recruitment Methods
-Public Image
-Training
-Global Impact

Things NOT to think about:
-Nationalistic Bias

Last edited by Major.League.Infidel (2007-06-17 00:12:55)

thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6372|teh alien spaceshit
USMC, u.s. army, navy, korean marines.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6803

French Foreign Legion

Why?

No camera's follow them.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6446|North Carolina
I know it's a predictable answer, but I have to say the U.S.

For what it's worth, due to technological advances, some other country with far better technology will rightfully hold this title in the future.

I just don't see how you can really compare historical militaries to modern ones.  So much has changed for the better in terms of power.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War

thtthht wrote:

For the record, Korean Marines are crazy.  A buddy of mine was running some training with them, and the Marines forgot to tell the Koreans where the Head was on the vessel they were on.  Crazy Bastards would shit in their hand and throw it overboard.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6726|United States of America
Salvation Army, best unit was that one led by General Mills.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6488|Chicago, IL
Roman Legion, incredible response time, versatility, and effectiveness.

possibly too many power struggles though.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6871|Denver colorado
The spartan army.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War

Turquoise wrote:

For what it's worth, due to technological advances, some other country with far better technology will rightfully hold this title in the future.

I just don't see how you can really compare historical militaries to modern ones.  So much has changed for the better in terms of power.
My question is asked in relationship to the rest of the world at the time.  Obviously the Modern US Military would Dominate the other Armies throughout time, but the question is asked in "how does the US Army do against say, the Chinese Army" or "how does the Roman Legion do in relation to the Barbarian Hordes"
namsdrawkcaB
Biggest n00blet around!
+35|6340
Personally I think the Perisan's. They were the nation which conqured the world for the longest. Before the romans they has something like nearly all of euope and 1/3 of asia.
Their army was like 1 million and the Romans were like 250,000-500,000 max. Not even i dont think.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Your right, you cant. How can you compare logistic, response times, and mobility without considering technological progression throughout history.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6803

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Your right, you cant. How can you compare logistic, response times, and mobility without considering technological progression throughout history.
Lies.

FFL FTW
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

Throughout history, many great Nations and Empires claimed their spots through Military Prowess.  In your opinion, which Military, from ANY time period, was the best?  Be it the Roman Legions, Colonial Britain, Modern day USA, WWII Germany, the Mongol Hordes, anything.

-Superiority
-Morale
-Equipment
-Numbers
-Supply Lines
-Recruitment Methods
-Public Image
-Training

-Nationalistic Bias
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6817
Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarta!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6446|North Carolina

Turquoise wrote:

My question is asked in relationship to the rest of the world at the time.  Obviously the Modern US Military would Dominate the other Armies throughout time, but the question is asked in "how does the US Army do against say, the Chinese Army" or "how does the Roman Legion do in relation to the Barbarian Hordes"
Thanks...  that makes more sense then.

Still, I'd say the U.S., but that's mostly because of our nuclear advantage.

Now, if we leave nukes out of the equation....  I'd say the Mongol Hordes, but they weren't really your typical military, per se.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6699|California
Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys...

I'm serious, look it up...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6803

-Superiority
-Morale
-Equipment
-Numbers
-Supply Lines
-Recruitment Methods
-Public Image
-Training

-Nationalistic Bias
FFL have been around since the 1880's.  So I stick by my answer.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6488|Chicago, IL

Turquoise wrote:

Thanks...  that makes more sense then.

Still, I'd say the U.S., but that's mostly because of our nuclear advantage.

Now, if we leave nukes out of the equation....  I'd say the Mongol Hordes, but they weren't really your typical military, per se.
Why not?  The mongols controlled the largest empire in history. (and invented the mailman )

In fact, they only lost once, to the Byzantines, and were never formally defeated, they just kinda fell apart.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War

usmarine2005 wrote:

FFL have been around since the 1880's.  So I stick by my answer.
That wasn't directed at you.  I've seen videos, they're crazy Bastards...

Spartans were the best
Spartans may have had the best training and warriors, but there numbers were small.  Don't take the movie 300 as Historical Fact.  (even though it was base off of a historical event).

Last edited by Major.League.Infidel (2007-06-16 21:28:48)

David.P
Banned
+649|6315

thtthht wrote:

For the record, Korean Marines are crazy.  A buddy of mine was running some training with them, and the Marines forgot to tell the Koreans where the Head was on the vessel they were on.  Crazy Bastards would shit in their hand and throw it overboard.
What do you mean? Why did they do that? And what was wrong with them not knowing where the head was?

lavadisk wrote:

The spartan army.
"And all will know that 300 men stood against Tyranny, Oppression, and Death! Spartans Tonight we Dine in Hell!"
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War

David.Podedworny wrote:

thtthht wrote:

What do you mean? Why did they do that? And what was wrong with them not knowing where the head was?
Head=Bathroom
Arkane
+1|6724
Dunno abouit the best, but Romes Legions had to be the most disciplined.  To remain in line during decimation required balls of steel.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6636|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
The Mongols, they had mobile freaking camps pulled by oxen, the horsemen ate,slept,did their business on their horses while riding to their objective, they fought  on their horses with bows and arrows, when they went against major armies they would take prisoners they captured dress them up as soldiers to make their army look larger than it was, striking fear into their enemies and forcing a surrender. Mongols FTW
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6803

We need a certain date for this to be honest.  I cannot believe stories are accurately told from 850AD for example.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6488|Chicago, IL

Arkane wrote:

Dunno abouit the best, but Romes Legions had to be the most disciplined.  To remain in line during decimation required balls of steel.
Yeah, but the fact that decimation was even practiced says something too...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard