mr. LuxusLexus
+11|6221
hmm Friday and still no stats? Oh well i have to work this weekend anyway.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6292|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
At this point, I would just like them to say, "Well, sorry, but everyone has to start over."
Scr0k
A clown killed my dad
+47|6522|Alabama
If you look on the bright side, one good thing that has come out of this is that there are more forum members.
firebolt5
+114|6162

Undetected_Killer wrote:

At this point, I would just like them to say, "Well, sorry, but everyone has to start over."
I hope that doesn't even happen.  I would like them to say, "Sorry, but we're getting rid of the stats."
Pudknocker71
+1|6163

firebolt5 wrote:

Undetected_Killer wrote:

I hope that doesn't even happen.  I would like them to say, "Sorry, but we're getting rid of the stats."
That would be the next step to drive people away. A bunch of us wouldn't come back. I don't play the same game over and over once I've done it. What else would keep me here.
firebolt5
+114|6162
People who play the BF2 mods don't have official stat support and they're not complaining, why should the vBF2 players be?
[GSF]AFROPUFF
+7|6547
the mods where free of charge.......... playing mods knowing you have bf2 stats at the end of the day is good enough answer

Last edited by [GSF]AFROPUFF (2007-06-22 10:16:44)

']['error
Banned
+630|6651|The Netherlands

firebolt5 wrote:

People who play the BF2 mods don't have official stat support and they're not complaining, why should the vBF2 players be?
Because most vBF2 players like their stats and want to keep them/make them better.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6454|Boulder, CO
because the general point of Bf2 when it was brought out was to attract people into playing it to improve their stats and if the stats go then lots of people will be pissed off beyond belief because of it. not me personally i tend to play for a laugh.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6854|"Frisco"

Krupp23 wrote:

I also wish they would keep is informed how far they are on their repairs...

Like the BF2s.com site owner did some time ago.

For example (I do not know about the stat server architecture, just guessing):
*Day 0: Stats are down
*Day 1: We are aware of the stats being down and are searching for reason...
*Day 2: Reason found: 2 hard drives corrupted, approx. 200,000 player accounts affected, trying to restore with backups...
*Day 4: Stats-master server is up and running again with backups from June 14th, waiting for the slave servers to apply changes...
*Day 6: Stats are completely synced again, have fun playing...
This is one of the points in which EA/DICE/GameSpy/IGN really, really fails at. For those who don't know, the term is "Transparency" and it is vitaly important in this day and age with your hardcore (like here) audience. For causual players they probably won't even notice the stat servers being down for a week -- but for those who do notice, it's really important to have a clear line of "who knows about this, and what are they doing about it" reporting. Even if the reporting is "We have found the issue and are repairing it, but we're waiting on XYZ which should be here in 24 hours" it would be wonderful.

While they have Violet reporting in the official forums about the issue, you can see by reactions that it's not close enough to the source really.

Krupp23 wrote:

I can't imagine they did not make any backups.
Let's imagine a 1.000.000 Player (only for the worst case, maybe even less) accounts with more than 0 Points with 1.000 Bytes of Stat data (cannot imagine it's more, but if: let's assume another 500bytes). That makes "only" 1.0-1.5Gb to backup.

VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF DATA for an enterprise...

And they had only one stats server and that server crashed? So they cannot restore? No redundancies? No way!
Your estimate is probably a bit small -- my databases use about 31gb of space and I would hope I'm tracking less than they are. Even still, I would put the max amount of data they track at any given time for the entire system at less than 100gb, which would still be pretty easy to backup since it's most likely in a MySQL/Oracle/OtherDB system which usually offers slave write backups and such. Of course, if they only have one machine doing this... -_-;
cow_with_a_gun_573
+0|6249
Firebolt, I regularly play mods and unranked servers...BUT I STILL LOVE MY STATS.

Besides, if you really didn't care about your stats, you wouldn't even know that the stats servers were down and you wouldn't even be posting in this thread.

The stats are part of the fun, not all, just one essential part
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6793|Bulgaria
No stats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EA = stupid n00bs!
siciliano732
+202|6656|New York
so can someone give me a cut and dry answer....are we gettin our stats back?  are we losing them completely?

what is goin on?
ZZZZZZZOD
+1|6161
Lots of lame posts and misinformation on here. First off, everyone keeps saying that this has happened before and just relax. Not true. Sure the stat server has been down before, but for like 2 or 3 days. We'll soon be going on 10 days here and no word of when it will be fixed.

Secondly, this forum is for people who actually care about their stats. For those who say they just play for fun... great. More power to you. But don't make people who like to play for advancement feel dumb for doing so or call them stat whores. Quite honestly, if you play a game in which there is no goal or outcome, that just tells me you have way too much time to waste. Its wasteful enough that I play this game in the first place, I know. But to play it just for fun and not care about character advancement... go get an atari 2600 and waste all the time you want. Or worse, go play lame ass counter strike where you can mindlessly shoot at eachother with no goal, teamwork, strategy, or point for that matter.

Lastly, EA, gamespy, DICE, or whoever, needs to chime in and give the people who paid for this damn game some kind of time frame as to when this problem will be resolved. I went on EA.com to see if there was any news, and the last news update they posted on the BF2 page was back in 2006. Slow down guys, don't work yourselves too hard.
ToughGuy#3
+2|6165
EA pwns BF2 players
cow_with_a_gun_573
+0|6249

Nikola Bathory wrote:

Agreed.

And I agree with Chuysky. EA has a lot of problems (LOL) but many of these would be resolved or at least minamalised if they actually communicated to their 'customers'.
[UKE] OAZ-398
+2|6220
cheesh.....
if i was EA, after reading all those idiot posts in here i was going to say: FUCK U PITTYFULL CHILDREN!!!! BE STUCK WITH IT!

i really wonder why most ppl talk such shit about EA....
dont think theres many of u that can honestly say theres better/more fun games u own or played before...

if there is: WHAT ARE U DOING HERE THEN???
Wr3ck
+2|6163|USA

Nikola Bathory wrote:

I think if anyone has a right  to complain here, it's the people with lower ranks.
cow_with_a_gun_573
+0|6249
dont think theres many of u that can honestly say theres better/more fun games u own or played before...
People talk shit about EA coz they perform like shit.

As for the funness of BF2 (and other EA games), it is fun, but extremely glitchy and poorly coded, and not very imaginative if you think about it.

EA has some great ideas, I just wish they would execute them better.
Fado2006
+0|6242
EA = Extreme Assholes
[UKE] OAZ-398
+2|6220
but u still buy their products
-=V.R=-
+9|6165|Moldova (MDA)
news from gamespy

GAMESPY wrote:

Stats Issue Update
0:10 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News
EA posted a small update regarding the ongoing stats issue and have said they are working with the RSP (rank service providers) to fix this issue.

As I said before, the server information you provided was really helpful. A number of teams are now working with the RSPs and the servers you noted to narrow down the exact issue causing these stats outages. I don’t know much more than that at this point but I will keep you updated as I learn more. Also, I wanted to let you know that we have an answer up about the stats outage (linked below). If you click the Notify Me… button in the answer, you’ll receive an update whenever new information is added.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … aqid=14853

Hopefully I’ll have more for you soon!
Corpy
+0|6428|Hoorn, Netherlands

[UKE] OAZ-398 wrote:

cheesh.....
if i was EA, after reading all those idiot posts in here i was going to say: FUCK U PITTYFULL CHILDREN!!!! BE STUCK WITH IT!

if there is: WHAT ARE U DOING HERE THEN???
Patching in a bug yourself and then letting a living community wait for a whole year to solve the problem you patched in in the first place? (worker bug, zero hour), yes we've got the right to call them a bunch of shit. By comparison the support for the Bf2 series was unprecedented, EA-wise then...

EA makes great games, lots of fun and the basic concept 9 out of 10 times is great. Sadly they've never heard of "finishing touches" doing something about BUGS or, and that's the worst part, give good support/feedback to the community. Prime example being Command& conquer 3, it was a day old and we were already up to patch number 1, and soon enough number 2 because 1 sadly failed solving the intended issues.....
ToughGuy#3
+2|6165

Wr3ck wrote:

Nikola Bathory wrote:

I think if anyone has a right  to complain here, it's the people with lower ranks.
I just upgraded my computer with a new graphics card, power supply and more ram so I could get into gaming and BF2 was the first game I decided to buy. The game looked awesome and the fact that it tracked your stats, unlike Call of Duty:UO, was a big selling point for me. Now it looks like I'm going to be a PFC in this man's army forever.
[Chaos]Assassin
+18|6521
Just a reminder, remember to keep checking the original post, as I've continued to update it.  On the support website for EA, there has been an update from today, 6/22, that says they are still working on the issue and will update their FAQ section once they have more info.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard