[LRDG] Ed
Watch out for that claymore!
+32|6597|UK
Hey all,

Whats the difference between these two packaages:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit 1Pk OEM (DVD)

and

Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64Bit 1Pk OEM (DVD)
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6452|Boulder, CO
business costs more.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/pro … hoose.mspx

shows what each version of vista has and does not have.
[LRDG] Ed
Watch out for that claymore!
+32|6597|UK
Thanks, thats just what I was looking for. +1
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6531|Milkystania, yurop
shit vs shit
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Magpie wrote:

shit vs shit
Strictly speaking, it's "shit vs shit-with-spangly-bits".
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6761|Scotland

Why is it shit may I ask?
I have Home Premium. Wouldn't say it is shit. It's as good as Ultimate.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Zimmer wrote:

Why is it shit may I ask?
I have Home Premium. Wouldn't say it is shit. It's as good as Ultimate.
It's an odd version. It's gotta be shit (like StarTrek movies). And it's new. And it's Microsoft.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-16 07:55:58)

Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6208
I believe Business can emulate Windows XP in a window (like Parallels). Also, Home Premium is not as good as Ultimate.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6722|Riva, MD

Magpie wrote:

shit vs shit
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6761|Scotland

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

I believe Business can emulate Windows XP in a window (like Parallels). Also, Home Premium is not as good as Ultimate.
Ultimate includes a few random add-ons which serve of barely any use whatsoever.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

I believe Business can emulate Windows XP in a window (like Parallels).
Not saying you're talking total arse (though I am heavily implying it), but, linky? please.

edit:
My Vista-guru tells me:

[uf] DirtyAlex wrote:

Business & Ultimate can join a windows domain the others cannot, that's the main difference.
Otherwise, as you put it, it's the level of included spangles [that is different].

Roughly, business+homepremium=ultimate, e.g. it has "media centre".

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-16 10:53:56)

Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6208

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Not saying you're talking total arse (though I am heavily implying it), but, linky? please.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc … fault.mspx

It's called Virtual PC, and it only runs on the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions of Vista (and XP Pro).

Last edited by Cerpin_Taxt (2007-06-16 13:24:19)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

It's called Virtual PC, and it only runs on the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate versions of Vista (and XP Pro).
Thx.

So, not specifically a Vista Business only thing then...

Edit:
Oooh! Neat! So glad I bought XP pro OEM...

I already multi-boot - D'u know if it will easily allow me to run two or more of my multi-boot installs?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-16 13:36:18)

Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6582|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Magpie wrote:

shit vs shit
Even with spangly bits...its still shit tho!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Magpie wrote:

shit vs shit
Even with spangly bits...its still shit tho!
Yeah, but it's got spangly bits!!!!111!eleven!

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-16 13:37:52)

=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6589|England

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Thx.

Edit:

I already multi-boot - D'u know if it will easily allow me to run two or more of my multi-boot installs?
Please, anyone interested in virtual machines - use VMWare Server. It has sooo many more features (most notably Linux support). VPC is cheap and limited for the masses, VMWare actually has some decent features.

And yes you can run multiple OSes. I have / had Vista, XP Pro, Ubuntu and Mac OSX running inside XP Media Centre.

Last edited by =Karma-Kills= (2007-06-16 20:05:06)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6530|South Florida

[LRDG] Ed wrote:

Hey all,

Whats the difference between these two packaages:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit 1Pk OEM (DVD)

and

Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64Bit 1Pk OEM (DVD)
Ones a little bit more of a waste of money then the other.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

=Karma-Kills= wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Thx.

Edit:

Please, anyone interested in virtual machines - use VMWare Server. It has sooo many more features (most notably Linux support). VPC is cheap and limited for the masses, VMWare actually has some decent features.

And yes you can run multiple OSes. I have / had Vista, XP Pro, Ubuntu and Mac OSX running inside XP Media Centre.
I'm a coder, so when it comes to OS level shiny toys I tend to lean towards as Microsoft as possible - for software inter-compatibility reasons - means sometimes I have to make do without - but keeps the crashes down.

But I shall take a look at VMWare - I'm not that much of an MS whore...

Anyhoo... The answers so far haven't answered my question, so, in the hope that someone reading this has used VirtualPC, I shall make my question(s) clearer...

I have 3 seperate installs of WindowsXP pro on my PC - each with different sets of installed utilities and so on, optimized for different tasks (gaming/work/testing) - each installed into a separate partition on my primary HDDs.

Now, if I install Virtual PC...

...will I be able to just point it at my currently install partitions?

...or will I need to completely reinstall all three installs?

...does it replace the standard multi-boot menu?

...how stable is it? (blue screen much?)

...how likely is it to touch my precious things? (wipe important docs/data for example)

...how well will it perform on my pc?
Specs:

CPU: AthlonXP 3200+
RAM: 2GB PC3200 DDR dual-channel.
HDD: 2x320GB SATA 1 RAID0
And, same questions, but relating to VMWare...

Thanks in advance, and karma on receipt, for any usefull info...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-16 23:53:30)

=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6589|England
Hmmm.... Virtual Machines are "usually" just designed so you can make a virtual HDD and then install some OS to it - all completely virtually. This way if you srew something up in the VM all you do is wipe the virtual HDD and start again (or a feasture of VMware is the ability to take snapshots - which are basically backup images of the VM that you can restore to). What you're suggesting is somewhat more advanced - yet i think it is possible.

You would not be able to do (im quote sure atleast) what you want under VPC (it only allows the "normal" create virtual HDD, install OS etc).
But VMware has a tool that allows you to convert phyical machines to virtual machines - VMware converter
I havent tried it, but i will now to save you some hassle and see if it actually works. This would mean you have a virtual machine that is a clone of you physical one. Any changes you make will remain in the virtual machine, leaving the real machine untouched. Or,

...will I be able to just point it at my currently install partitions? Well to be honest im not too sure. You could create a new VM of XP and then use the physical XP HDD - so i suppose yes you can. But this is something i havent tried, yet i am happy to for you. Or there is always the option of using VMware convrter. Remeber, using the physicall HDD will mean any changes made in the VM are written to the HDD, while using VMware Converted means no "real" changes are made.

...or will I need to completely reinstall all three installs? Depends. Using VMs and real HDDs = you have to install XP (easy wizard where you need and XP.ISO) and then just click edit the VM and use physical HDD. Using VMware converter you do not have to do anything really, just follow the wizard!

...does it replace the standard multi-boot menu? Virtual Machine software is just at the root of it regular software. If you install it inside one of your XPs, notthing will change to the overall booting of the real machine. If you want multiple VMs, all you do is create another VM in VMware and it just apprears as another tab that you can choose to boot. The only way you get rid of the stand multi boot menu is if you want to - eg by physicall deleting the other partitions.

...how stable is it? (blue screen much?) - To be honest i switched from VMware to another VM software (Parallels), basically becuase it looked more pretty. I came back within a week. Of all ive tried (VMware, VPC, Parallels) VMware is by FAR the best. All three never gave me any troubles to my "real" pc, but VMware was the only one that will consistently boot without any issues.

...how likely is it to touch my precious things? (wipe important docs/data for example) - Depends if you allow it. If you're docs are on a diferent partition, just dont give the VM acess to it. If not, there is no more of a chance of a VM deleting your documents than XP in a real pc - afterall the VM is just trying to be a real PC. Personally, ive used a feature of VMWare called "shared folders" whereby the VM has its own virtual HDD and everything, but is able to access a select number of "real" folders.

...how well will it perform on my pc? The Athlon isnt dual core right? Ive got Pentium D GHz, GB RAM, Nvidia 7800GTX and it runs just fine. Running Vista and XP at the same time though kills it. Best thing is to just try and see for yourself, but with 2GB RAM you'll be fine. You can even specify how much RAM to give the VMs.

Just incase there is any confusion of how VMs work... here is me atm:
https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8587/vmwareao4.jpg

Last edited by =Karma-Kills= (2007-06-17 03:25:01)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)
Ah... I see that kind of 'virtual' machine.

Hmm... Yeah, not quite what I was thinking it was.

Still nice, and something I might find useful for code testing purposes.

Will have to do some evaluations of the alternatives myself...

Thanks for the helpful info.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard