lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6849|Denver colorado
/agreed.

Oh. And I learned a lot from reading this thread.

I wonder if others consider me a normal poster. I'm always on the forums but I mostly just read and understand.
Arcano-D.E.S
+13|6565
When I was beginning to get interested in war and the like, I had a conversation with my great uncle Malcolm. He was a mean old sod who smoked terrible cigars just to piss people off, or so my mom said, and swore like a bastard, I asked him about WW2 and what he did. He told me this story about being at an airfield in France and watching a man die on a stretcher an arms reach away from him. It is the only time I have ever witnessed the thousand yard stare and to be honest it scared the hell out of me.

I have never been to war and wouldn't volunteer so I have no way of knowing what that kind of thing is like but the look in his eyes pretty much kept me from ever thinking it would be a good time.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6589|Portland, OR, USA

Turquoise wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

...something about a conscience or some worthless part of human evolution.

However:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975133/

"Stress disorders up dramatically in last 18 months,  affecting 1/3 of vets"

If our leaders are going to ship kids off to war, they need to step up to the plate and deal with the consequences.  Most people can't just go kill another human being without having some mental side effect.

I heard a report on the radio today which said that roughly 49% of national guards men and 33% of marines report some kind of PTSD.  It went on to say that that statistic is probably off by a considerable amount due to the stigma associated with PTSD in the military today and the fact that not very many go in for treatment...

Do any of the vets in here have any issues with PTSD, all of the vets who came into my Vietnam class had it to some degree, we had to warn one guy about the bell going off inbetween classes because it could send him into a flash back.
Interesting points...  Do you know what the first thing is that you feel after you kill an innocent civilian?  ...the recoil of your weapon....

But yeah....  I can imagine that killing people (innocent or not) has got to be "stressful" to say the least.
I'm confused... was the first statement supposed to be a joke?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6704|United States of America

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

...something about a conscience or some worthless part of human evolution.

However:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975133/

"Stress disorders up dramatically in last 18 months,  affecting 1/3 of vets"

If our leaders are going to ship kids off to war, they need to step up to the plate and deal with the consequences.  Most people can't just go kill another human being without having some mental side effect.

I heard a report on the radio today which said that roughly 49% of national guards men and 33% of marines report some kind of PTSD.  It went on to say that that statistic is probably off by a considerable amount due to the stigma associated with PTSD in the military today and the fact that not very many go in for treatment...

Do any of the vets in here have any issues with PTSD, all of the vets who came into my Vietnam class had it to some degree, we had to warn one guy about the bell going off inbetween classes because it could send him into a flash back.
Interesting points...  Do you know what the first thing is that you feel after you kill an innocent civilian?  ...the recoil of your weapon....

But yeah....  I can imagine that killing people (innocent or not) has got to be "stressful" to say the least.
I'm confused... was the first statement supposed to be a joke?
Yes, you often feel the recoil before they actually die.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard