=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6551|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6751777.stm

Can someone please explain to me the American obsession with using the term "Freedom"?  Many Americans come across as if the US is the most free country in the World and the rest of us are all living under dictatorships vying for a taste of US culture.  But I see plenty of restrictive laws in the States, many of which aren't enforced in other countries and baggy trousers are being made outlawed now.

I'm all for patriotism, but blind patriotism is just stupid.  So I wanna ask the American contingent whether you believe that, on balance, the US is the most free country in the World and why.  Please explain why you couldn't do the same in other countries because I've never understood the mentality.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6487|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
The thing about this is its a small town, its just like some of those laws that don't make sense, I.E, the state I'm from, Minnesota, its illegal to drive a red car past a horse, or how a blow job is illegal. This is one of those laws that will die real quick.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

...yes, because a small town's decision reflects the opinions of an entire nation. Personally, I don't want to see somebody's fucking skivvies, so this would be one bit of public 'dress code' that I would welcome. The cops, on the other hand, love them because they trip up fleeing fugitive fools who wear them.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6433
hey i have an american book caled you may not tie an allagotr to a fire hydrant

i kentuk 0o all bees entering must have a certificate of health.
for example

its great for a real lol

and on topic:

yeah well free speech is about to be outlawed here as the "minorites" feel offended by it

Last edited by [PTG]shogun (2007-06-15 03:32:43)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6663|USA
How would it be enforced? Ticket? Jailtime?
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

How would it be enforced? Ticket? Jailtime?
Sort of similer to "The Chaser's Citizen Infringement Officer"...

Mcminty.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647
http://www.punksbusted.com/cgi-bin/memb … ery=Search

How is anyone supposed to take anything you say seriously...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

http://www.punksbusted.com/cgi-bin/membership/ban.cgi?par=S0A983EBF&query=Search

That's got nothing to do with the thread. He even provided a link. Go away.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6641|Your moms bedroom
500 dollars ehh, what happend to mardi gras? this guys off his rocker. If you get nailed with "indecent exposure" you could also be deemed a sex offender... not a very good combo to have on your permanant record
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

http://www.punksbusted.com/cgi-bin/membership/ban.cgi?par=S0A983EBF&query=Search

Um... no troll. He posted a ridiculous clame that freedom is somehow limited in the U.S. He's talking like he comes from some moral high ground and he's nothing but a douchebag hacker himself.
HiMyNameIsBeethoven
+0|6163
Wow use common sense... They are making it illegal because people show their underwear and obscene things while in public.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Um... no troll. He posted a ridiculous clame that freedom is somehow limited in the U.S. He's talking like he comes from some moral high ground and he's nothing but a douchebag hacker himself.
Well, it's making a point. Everyone complains about Iran banning this and that when you have stupid shit like this aswell. Granted it's not on the same scale as the stupidness of Iran, it's still funny and deserves a talk about.

Whilst hacking is stupid, it's really got nothing to do with anything. If you found a link of this guy supporting censorship or something like this, then that would be something. Just coming into a topic going showing that he's a hacker hasn't got to do anything about anything. It's totally irrelevant. Might aswell call it spam.
13rin
+977|6480

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Well, it's making a point. Everyone complains about Iran banning this and that when you have stupid shit like this aswell. Granted it's not on the same scale as the stupidness of Iran, it's still funny and deserves a talk about.

Whilst hacking is stupid, it's really got nothing to do with anything. If you found a link of this guy supporting censorship or something like this, then that would be something. Just coming into a topic going showing that he's a hacker hasn't got to do anything about anything. It's totally irrelevant. Might aswell call it spam.
Yea but does the US kill you when you break a law that you deem silly or stupid?  I've seen hackers flamed off of this forum.  It all depends on who you are.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6562
Oh, well, so long as nobody gets killed it doesn't matter whether they're free or not....................
=OBS= EstebanRey
Everyone seems to be missing my point (except Mekstizzle); and I don't understand that "hacker" stuff???  I'm not commenting on this particular law but I'm asking where the mentality that America is the most free country in the World comes from.

I'm not taking any moral high ground either as I don't believe Britain is more free than the US, or any less so.  Nor am I comparing the US to Iran to other obviously restrictive countries, I'm comparing them to other 1st World countries and asking how is the US more free than them?

My point is that most Western nations are free and on balance they're all pretty as liberal as each other and I don't understand why many Americans get on a soap box to promote their country as being the symbol of freedom.  I have yet to hear a decent argument as to why other civilised nations are more oppressive than the States.
TGMaverick
+16|6231

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

America bans baggy trousers, where's the "Freedom"?
Kind of a mis-leading title, isn't it?  It's ONE town (approximately 2,200 people) that has the freedom to enact its' own laws and police its' own citizens how it sees fit.

I'm no expert on the US Constitution, but I don't recall it saying that people have the rights to wear baggy pants that show half of their ass.

As far as I'm concerned, if people don't like the new ordinance in that town, they can either challenge it as unlawful, or move.  But either way, it in no way has any reflection on the entire country.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6649|Norway

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6751777.stm

Can someone please explain to me the American obsession with using the term "Freedom"?  Many Americans come across as if the US is the most free country in the World and the rest of us are all living under dictatorships vying for a taste of US culture.  But I see plenty of restrictive laws in the States, many of which aren't enforced in other countries and baggy trousers are being made outlawed now.

I'm all for patriotism, but blind patriotism is just stupid.  So I wanna ask the American contingent whether you believe that, on balance, the US is the most free country in the World and why.  Please explain why you couldn't do the same in other countries because I've never understood the mentality.
It's all about lack of knowledge of other countries and cultures that make some americans believe that they live in the most free country in the world. In the reality, they dont.
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6807|Orlando, FL - Age 43
BTW, it Saggy trousers.....not Baggy.....a subtle difference, but an important one. The reason we have our soapbox is that for a long time, we were one of the ONLY democracies in the world. Times have indeed changed for most of Europe with the United States leading the way, albeit a relatively short time ago (15-20 years ago which I know is a lifetime for most of the readership here) where Eastern Europe did live under dicatatorships. The soapbox is not meant for the West, except where people do not study history.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6631|Washington, DC

Virginia tried this too, or at least McLean or Richmond or some relatively important and large city/area did. It failed miserably.

Seriously, they're fucking pants and underwear, you wear them too. Perhaps they should ban idiocy?
=OBS= EstebanRey

Darth_Fleder wrote:

BTW, it Saggy trousers.....not Baggy.....a subtle difference, but an important one. The reason we have our soapbox is that for a long time, we were one of the ONLY democracies in the world. Times have indeed changed for most of Europe with the United States leading the way, albeit a relatively short time ago (15-20 years ago which I know is a lifetime for most of the readership here) where Eastern Europe did live under dicatatorships. The soapbox is not meant for the West, except where people do not study history.
Thanks for the input, but do Americans in general know that the Greeks invented Democracy because I heard an American claim they did the other day.  I don't know if it is Patriotism or general ignorance...
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6520|Πάϊ
The US is the freest country in the world because they say so. They came up with the concept of democracy 200 years ago*.

that may seem like a long time ago to you contemporary fellas, but it was just the 1800's lol
ƒ³
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6433
off topic but one of my firends when to america and went on a tour

the stoped off to show them 200 year old tress.

200 year old trees wtf, i mean yes thats old but i have 400 old tress outside my house lol

^^thats what they said
the american sence of time is a bit messed up.
yes house are cheap but they are not built to last, not much is anymore tbh
Ryan
+1,230|6843|Alberta, Canada

Half the 'gangstas' with baggy trousers have their boxers pulled up anyways. I hardly see buttcracks anymore.

This is stupid. Next they will make it a law to tuck in our shirts.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6631|Washington, DC

Ryan wrote:

Half the 'gangstas' with baggy trousers have their boxers pulled up anyways. I hardly see buttcracks anymore.

This is stupid. Next they will make it a law to tuck in our shirts.
You don't even live in the US...
=OBS= EstebanRey

[PTG]shogun wrote:

off topic but one of my firends when to america and went on a tour

the stoped off to show them 200 year old tress.

200 year old trees wtf, i mean yes thats old but i have 400 old tress outside my house lol

^^thats what they said
the american sence of time is a bit messed up.
yes house are cheap but they are not built to last, not much is anymore tbh
LOL, I know, some forget that the world has got a lot of history before 1790.  We have a pub in Oxford that is older than America which always makes me laugh and yes it still is open for business...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard