TheSkrapper
+7|6224
Concerning spotting enemies out of UAV.

Usually in zoom mode when I spot an enemy they turn red.  When I do a scan it seems that I can't spot until the heat signature goes away.  It seems like this because enemies under the UAV have a heat signature and a red dot but when I try to spot enemies NOT under UAV that have a heat signature then I don't get the red dot.    Also,  if I spot and then the heat signature immediately goes away, then the enemy doesn't have a red dot and I have to re-spot them.    Do I have to wait or does it just not show the red dot to ME?

Secondly, I thought I read here that if you spot in an area it will spot any enemies that are near.  (I read read it as plural at the time.)  I can only manage to spot 1 enemy at a time.   Is that just how it is, 1 enemy per spot?  Is there any way to spot more than one enemy at a time or am I forced to spam "Enemy Spotted" 6-10 times (or more if our UAV is down)?

Last edited by TheSkrapper (2007-06-14 11:58:17)

XISIX
+116|6641
Quick reply to part of your question - not sure I understand your 1st one.

You can only spot 1 at time. 

Some may disagree - but kinda annoying if commander is trying spot everyone on map. 
Think if they are close to one your troops [not under UAV scan]
or in danger of capping one of your flags then it is useful to spot.
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6754|Germany

First question: not everything you spot is actually shown on your commander screen, but others see it still on the mini map.

second question: see XISIX
Greenspan
Fed. Chairman (Ret.)
+12|6513

XISIX wrote:

Quick reply to part of your question - not sure I understand your 1st one.

You can only spot 1 at time. 

Some may disagree - but kinda annoying if commander is trying spot everyone on map. 
Think if they are close to one your troops [not under UAV scan]
or in danger of capping one of your flags then it is useful to spot.
Er does that mean if you spot one, and then spot a second one the first one will disapear from people's minimaps? Or do you mean it'll only spot out one enemy per right click?
XISIX
+116|6641

Greenspan wrote:

Er does that mean if you spot one, and then spot a second one the first one will disapear from people's minimaps? Or do you mean it'll only spot out one enemy per right click?
First spotted will not disappear.  1 enemy per Spotting is correct.
Think spotted will only stay spotted for 10-30 seconds [?]  Someone else can prolly answer that.

Other thing to mention :

If as commander you do a scan +
single enemy is alone in back seat of vehicle [like Vodnik - w/o a mounted weapon] they will not show on scan.   

Also - believe read once that enemy Spec Ops [not moving] will not show on scan.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by XISIX (2007-06-14 14:21:37)

Greenspan
Fed. Chairman (Ret.)
+12|6513

XISIX wrote:

Greenspan wrote:

First spotted will not disappear.  1 enemy per Spotting is correct.
Think spotted will only stay spotted for 10-30 seconds [?]  Someone else can prolly answer that.

Other thing to mention :

If as commander you do a scan +
single enemy is alone in back seat of vehicle [like Vodnik - w/o a mounted weapon] they will not show on scan.   

Also - believe read once that enemy Spec Ops [not moving] will not show on scan.

Hope that helps.
Hrrmmmm interesting
TheSkrapper
+7|6224
First Question Revised:

(3 commander screen facts as I know them)
When under UAV or spotted an enemy is a small red dot.
When you scan it shows heat signatures (large red glow) of enemies newly dead or alive.
When I am running a UAV and I do a scan the enemies under the UAV show both a red dot and a red glow. (both are applied) 

(my issue)
I scan and see a squad out of UAV range because I see their glowing heat signature but when I spot them I don't get the red dot on top of the glow. (It's like they are not spotted)  If the scan glow runs out 2 seconds after I spot them I still don't see the red dot.(It's like they are not spotted)   It's frustrating because I don't know which enemies from the squad are spotted on mini maps if any.   This seems consistant across many commands.  Not a special instance thing.  Not special Ops or vehicle related and yes they are alive.

QUESTION:  Can you spot while a scan is up?  Has anyone else run across this before?   Can others spot a heat signature and see a red dot+heat signature?

This may have been answered by Mike<Eagle23> above.  Perhaps they just don't register the same on the commander screen as the mini maps.  I just wanted to clarify this in case there is another answer. 

Thanks everyone.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6378|uk

Yes, you can spot whilst a scan is underway.

It is true that enemy in a vehicle, with no-one in the drivers seat, does not show up on the scan, but DO show on UAV.

However, I think (THINK) that spec op's DO show on scans

Last edited by Titch2349 (2007-06-14 14:51:17)

benzoenator
+4|6264
Spec Ops do show on scans regardless of whether they're moving or not, this was proven awhile back - search around.
XISIX
+116|6641

benzoenator wrote:

Spec Ops do show on scans regardless of whether they're moving or not, this was proven awhile back - search around.
Ahhh ... thanks.

Never heard that dis-proved.

Tend to either wait for Spec-Ops with nice surprise or be on my way to repair assets.

Cheers & + 1 while at it.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6704|Middle of nowhere
When you spot enemies when you scan, all those on your team can see it, even if you can't

and a spot from anyone lasts 10 seconds
VicktorVauhn
+319|6418|Southern California
Good thread!
Ive always noticed when I am commander that my spots don't show on my map, and always wondered if I needed to spot again or if it worked, just never bothed to make the thread, thanks for doing it for me
_1_MAN-ARMY.17
+27|6246|Turkey
if ur team is good stay afk for free points
sars99
supporter of mindless violence
+33|6511|UK
erm...

when i've played a spot on an enemy still showing hte heat signiture but not under UAV, will not show on the minimap of soldiers until the heat sig is lost and they are respotted

this is what causes the main thing with commander spam

the commander scans and sees all the red glows, and goes spot crazy. This doesn't show up on the soldiers minimap but does play the 'Enemy Infantry Spotted' message... which causes irritation
MajorHoulahan_MASH
+31|6748
After you deployed your first UAV, you now have to wait till SCAN is fully charged for 1st time, and UAV for 2nd time.

SCAN, memorize hotspots, armor and enemy lone wolf close to your flags, WAIT till scan has faded away on the right of your command screen, before you start any spotting !
1st  : deploy  2nd UAV  over a crowded  area IF your troops are close-by, example beach Wake/ Hotel Karkand
2nd : NOW start the  spotting  single enemies by leftclicking on the  command-map. I Use medium zoom  for small maps (Karkand). No zoom for large maps (Dragon Valley).
The red dots that  apppear on your command screen now will also be displayed as red dots on other players maps.  This way you dont have to spot the same enemy twice.
For armor/helicopter  I zoom in 3x on command map: leftclicking on those will display a red armor-picture on command map and player map and you will hear " enemy armor/helicopter spotted"  instead of a dot (= prefab voice "enemy spotted").

In the meantime, your UAV will be charged again. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by MajorHoulahan_MASH (2007-06-15 23:50:46)

Shivan
+1|6677
another thing to note is that your scan will also show troops that are 'critically injured'
ie: they are dead but can still be revived by a medic

often, your team may have just cleared out a flag and there are 3-4 dead people but they will still show up as red on your scan, but when you spot them, it'll just go enemy forces spotted rather than infantry etc.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6308|Pennsyltucky

DewilBurak wrote:

Some people don't appreciate AFK Commanders and express their displeasure in cruel ways.

Nothing like coming back from your lunch break to find you've been kidnapped!

Not that I've ever participated in something like that.
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6549|the Netherlands
i think you have the answers you wanted

keep up with the commanding bussiness - I read you
TheSkrapper
+7|6224

MajorHoulahan_MASH wrote:

SCAN, memorize hotspots, armor and enemy lone wolf close to your flags, WAIT till scan has faded away on the right of your command screen, before you start any spotting !
Thanks MajorHoulahan and other contributors...  I have just started waiting for it to fade. 

I find that I like to zoom in all the way when I spot individual enemies.  It seems easier to hit each soldier that way.  At times I may do an area spot without zoom but it would only spot 1 of 5 enemies.    I don't like this because it gives my troups bad recon.  I don't want them running around the corner to kill that 1 enemy and there end up being 5 of them. 

I usually try to keep every enemy spotted or UAVed that is either near my troups or invading an undefended area.  I am a big "Enemy spotted" spammer but usually this only consists of the 5-10 important enemies that are out of UAV.   I never hear any complaints and it seems that I have a positive W/L record when it comes to commanding if my memory serves me correctly.  Is this stat tracked someplace?  W/L while commanding?
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore

_1_MAN-ARMY.17 wrote:

lol, i do that all the time
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6591|Area 51
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT SPOT THE SAME ENEMY OVER AND OVER!
I fucking hate commanders that do that.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore

RDMC(2) wrote:

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT SPOT THE SAME ENEMY OVER AND OVER!
I fucking hate commanders that do that.
ya know, it IS good to do that, as long as it's not the same enemy

i do hate commanders that spot the same ONE enemy like 20 times... GAH

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard