IrishWind
+4|6850
OK, I agree that watching three or four guys in a corner knifing/reviving each other for a badge is wrong.  But what about these other efforts to earn an award?

A: I'm 5 road kills from the veteran transport badge.  I decide to spend the next couple rounds running around in DPV's trying to roadkill 5 bad guys for the badge.  Is it stat padding?  Discuss

B: No one is using the USMC Humvee on Karkand.  As commander, I hop in the back, still commanding, but adding time to the transport badge.  Padding?  Discuss

C: I want the (insert class here) badge.  So I play that class exclusively for the next two weeks to increase time in class. 

D: I want the tank/helo/plane badge.  Without TKing or acting like a brat (can I have..., can I have.... ect), I whore the tank/helo/plane for the next few weeks.  Padding?  Discuss

E:  Bored engineer/commander.  I drop a supply crate next to me.  I toss grenades in the HUMVEE and the repair it, getting repair points.  Then re-arm from the crate and repeat between UAV deployments and arty strikes.  Team is winning, and no one seems to notice/care what I'm doing.  OK, that is padding, but feel free to discuss.

I'm curious to see what the relationship between stat padding, and working towards awards.  And what is the line?

Also, from below:

F:  You are in a vehicle with a supply guy taking a long way to an objective or in a helo circling Mashtur raining death and para troopers.  You randomly toss out nades.  He auto resupplies you, getting a resupply point.  He scores 25 supply points from that act from the round.  Happened to me twice when I was support.  Once was a long boat ride on Clean Sweep.  Another rider kept tossing out C4 for fun.  And then as a gunner on Mashtur, with a guy in the back lobbing nades like no tomorrow.

Last edited by IrishWind (2007-06-14 08:49:21)

Jagexx
+1|6309
A, no, B, no, C, no, D, no, E yeah.
Simon
basically
+838|6798|UK
E is the only one what would vaguely be padding.
How the would running people over in transport be padding? ..
Why are C/D even included? That's described as 'playing the game'.

Last edited by Simon (2007-06-13 10:09:40)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6887|The United Center

Simon wrote:

He's not playing those classes or using those vehicles to try and help his team or win rounds...he's using them only so that he can increase his time in those kits and vehicles.
St.BADSHOT
+6|6386
Didn't think you could get repair points unless someones in the vehicle.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6793|pimelteror.de
if there is competition and everyone can choose the kit/weapon/vehicle, he likes to use - it is not statspadding.

statspadding is to create an environment, in which you can get points / awards, without competition.
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6910|Canada, Ont
Thats how I got my Expert Engineer waaaay back in the day.

Playing on Daqing Oilfields I Parked a Humvee In the Water and sat in the back seat and Repaired it for my 25 Repair Points in a Round.

Srsly it appeared to be as the only way to do it... so I did it.

My Arguement, I plead insanity and that I had Amnesia and was trying to Save the Cars life...so I wasn't Padding, It was just a Sweet car.
(My parents might be gettin me rims for christmas)

Anyway, Thats back when I used to care about Badges, Theres two I could be attempting to get now but I have no intention of trying.
Simon
basically
+838|6798|UK

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Simon wrote:

He's not playing those classes or using those vehicles to try and help his team or win rounds...he's using them only so that he can increase his time in those kits and vehicles.
So, he just selects the kit/vehicle and just sits there? Or he goes lone wolf and just does his own thing..?
Even if he did, it would just be classed as time whoring, every player in the top 1000 has done it at one point. Although the ROE (Or whoever 'enforces' the BF2 community) are pretty fucking stupid so you might get reset..
IrishWind
+4|6850
You're in the vehicle.  And repairing it.  So you are repairing it with someone in it!  Sleaze move.

Oh, one more:

F:  You are in a vehicle with a supply guy taking a long way to an objective or in a helo circling Mashtur raining death and para troopers.  You randomly toss out nades.  He auto resupplies you, getting a resupply point.  He scores 25 supply points from that act from the round.  Happened to me twice when I was support.  Once was a long boat ride on Clean Sweep.  Another rider kept tossing out C4 for fun.  And then as a gunner on Mashtur, with a guy in the back lobbing nades like no tomorrow.
confused
+10|6534|British Columbia

IrishWind wrote:

OK, I agree that watching three or four guys in a corner knifing/reviving each other for a badge is wrong.  But what about these other efforts to earn an award?

B: No one is using the USMC Humvee on Karkand.  As commander, I hop in the back, still commanding, but adding time to the transport badge.  Padding?  Discuss

I'm curious to see what the relationship between stat padding, and working towards awards.  And what is the line?
B:  I could see this being called padding as the vehicle isn't transporting you.  But if you were in the second seat, an argument could be made that you were playing a defensive role.

F:  If you as support are in a rib on Cleansweep travelling from the US uncap to the Mec airbase and people are lobbing grenades off the side of the boat, what are you going to do - jump out and swim the rest of the way?  If you are on a rib with a support doing the same thing - maybe, but its fun firing off your gun while waiting for the boat/helicopter/vodnik to arrive at its destination.

I would only consider E to be truly padding.  Although its not as bad as the knife/revive pad.  Which is the only one that bothers me.

Last edited by confused (2007-06-13 10:52:11)

Teflonspray
+2|6608

confused wrote:

... the only one that bothers me.
The only one that has bothered me was when I played Iron Gator, someone teamkilled me only to revive me again. Then I got shot by an enemy, got revived, shot by same enemy, got revived, shot again.. you get the picture. I was seriously raped by these two guys, it made me sick.

I learned that you can only click Suicide when you are alive, not critically wounded. And since I was alive like o.1 seconds at a time, it was difficult to be able to bring up that screen and click suicide, I was killed in the process several times. I finally succeeded with killing myself and was relieved.

On Topic: only E is padding, the others absolutely not.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6887|The United Center

Simon wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Simon wrote:

So, he just selects the kit/vehicle and just sits there? Or he goes lone wolf and just does his own thing..?
Even if he did, it would just be classed as time whoring, every player in the top 1000 has done it at one point. Although the ROE (Or whoever 'enforces' the BF2 community) are pretty fucking stupid so you might get reset..
Oh, I know.  I'm not saying I agree with the RoE, but I'm pretty sure that's the way they would see it.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6521|the land of bourbon
time whoring?  almost every award is based on your time played.  so playing the game is considered stat padding?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6608

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

if there is competition and everyone can choose the kit/weapon/vehicle, he likes to use - it is not statspadding.

statspadding is to create an environment, in which you can get points / awards, without competition.
eisBär
+22|6384|Germany

Teflonspray wrote:

confused wrote:

... the only one that bothers me.
The only one that has bothered me was when I played Iron Gator, someone teamkilled me only to revive me again. Then I got shot by an enemy, got revived, shot by same enemy, got revived, shot again.. you get the picture. I was seriously raped by these two guys, it made me sick.
That's odd.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6485|Twyford, UK
Out of the original post, only E is definetly statpadding. B is borderline, but it's ungodly difficult to get. And you could just drop a vehicle for yourself if someone REALLY wants the hummer.

A is just fun. I go carmageddon myself from time to time.

More statpaddy than the original examples is my standard technique when low on points on jalalabad. Go engineer. Get DPV. Shadow armour whore to get repair points.
Or spawning at a ravaged, contested back MEC base as engy on karkand, and fixing the assets, then going on to shadowing the armour whore on foot with my magic wrench.
mr. LuxusLexus
+11|6354
Everyone but E is cool.
Lucrative_Glory
Pwning you with 512mb
+22|6785|Top of the leaderboard.
none of them are padding, and you can repair that humvee allll night long, if theres nobody in it you wont get any points. so go for it.
']['error
Banned
+630|6784|The Netherlands

Jagexx wrote:

A, no, B, no, C, no, D, no, E yeah.
nuff said
evilcartman99
The Octagon
+18|6553|da ville, va
What about when you repeatedly kill someone and someone else on their team revives them, but you do not know either of them and just want kills cause you've been in the wrong place at the wrong time the whole round?
sars99
supporter of mindless violence
+33|6625|UK

Lucrative_Glory wrote:

none of them are padding, and you can repair that humvee allll night long, if theres nobody in it you wont get any points. so go for it.
he's sat in position 3 or 4, thus getting repairs for it

G:

Playing in an AA vehicle as eng. you are doing your job and fighting, but when you take damage you switch to the 2nd position to repair rather then getting out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard