pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
I just got back from giving plasma and now I have and extra $30 in my pocket!

Here's why you should do it:

$30 dollars each time X twice a week = 60 dollars a week = 240 dollars a month (that's a 8800GTX in 3 months!) Also, I live in small town but I hear that in bigger cities it's $40 each time = $320 a month!

It's easy: Sit in a big lounge chair for 45 minutes to an hour and watch movies (they had The Sandlot when I came in this time). Then you walk away and can do anything (unlike donating blood) walk/run/sit/sleep/eat/drink/drive/etc.

It's a good thing to do: Most of the plasma goes to laboratories to be used to find cures for diseases. Some goes to hospitals for people who need it in emergencies. The rest goes to Africa for people who are dieing.

The Process:

The first time takes a while (2-3 hours including first donation). It's mostly just filling out paper work about your medical history. There is also a physical (upper body only, don't worry you don't have to show them your pee-pee or vajay-vajay). Then you donate.

Donation Process:
You sit on a bed while they prep you (put iodine on your arm). Then they stick a needle in your arm (yes this is the part that sucks but it's like a bee sting, it doesn't hurt too bad after a few seconds. Then you sit and read/watch movies while the machine next to you does its magic (it takes a pint of blood, centrifuges the plasma out then returns the blood). After 45-60 minutes they pull the needle out (doesn't hurt at all) and you walk away with 30 (40 in cities, see above) dollars.
Make sure to drink LOTS of water before you go (I drink 2 liters = 2 nalgene's) and eat (you don't want to do it on a full stomach).

Eligibility:

Yes you must be 18. Sorry kiddies.
In good health.
No diseases within the past few years.
No HIV/AIDS.
There are some countries that cannot have lived in some years ago including Germany (mid 90's) and UK (early 2000's) due to mad-cow disease. But this is LIVED in. I went to England a few years ago for about a month and I was fine.
Other than that, that's it!

What you need the first time:

Call the local donation bank to make an appointment. They will tell you you need: Your Social Security card (a copy will do), a picture ID (DL, School ID, etc), and a proof of address (a letter addressed to you, if you don't have this you can donate the first time and they will send you a postcard to bring in the next time).

SO WHY NOT? For the money, the fact that it only takes an hour, and the good cause, how could you turn this down?

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed … 0_,00.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … money.html
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
Donating semen can get you up to 3000 bucks, but i'd never do that because I don't want my genes going somewhere I don't know.

I'd do this. If it can cure diseases I'd do it.
agent146
+127|6379|Jesus Land aka Canada
what place? jeez at the hospitals in vancouver canada they expect you to "donate" but i never.....
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.

Poseidon wrote:

Donating semen can get you up to 3000 bucks, but i'd never do that because I don't want my genes going somewhere I don't know.

Sweet dude!

But I read that donating semen (aside from the fact that you could have a bunch of sons and daughters and not even know it) is really hard in the fact that only 4 out of every 1000 men can because of medical history and such. Also, you have to abstain for long periods of time and have physicals like 3 times a week!
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6504|Gold Coast
My mum has mad cow disease.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6623|Washington, DC

Poseidon wrote:

The pay is pretty crummy compared to things like sperm banks =/ However, sperm banks are also ultra-anal about who gets to give their seed in exchange for cash.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6337|Twyford, UK
Reasons why I can't:
UK citizen.
Illegal to sell it here.
I'm fucking USING it.
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

I'd rather build a plasma cannon.
zeidmaan
+234|6407|Vienna

I used to donate often here in Vienna. 20 € per donation plus 50 € bonus for every 5th time. And I got few bonusses for bringing new "members". Also you could have them not pay you every time but hold the money and pay you every 5th time. So instead of getting 20 € and spending it right away, you get 150 € every 5th time. I bought few parts for my PC, my digital camera and my and my bro bought a 70cm TV for our apartment.
Its a great way to make extra cash and there is no reason for any of you crybabies to be scared. Man up and go do it.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6425
they have already made fake blood, this wont last once that becomes viable
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6439|Boulder, CO
I'd do it but i live in the UK, dammed tight bastards won't give me money
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6519|London (At Heart)

[PTG]shogun wrote:

they have already made fake blood, this wont last once that becomes viable
Indeed they have.

But they have also made a liquid that you can breathe in, thats quite sexy imo.

Underwater sports ftw!
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6639
Come near me with a needle and I'll break your arm. No needles.
LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6523|Amherst, MA
Or you could have your girlfriend donate a single egg and make $30,000 - $50,000....
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6549|Brisbane, Aus

No money for it in .au either
SteikeTa
+153|6740|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega

LawJik wrote:

Or you could have your girlfriend donate a single egg and make $30,000 - $50,000....
Ooo..... that much?
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
Plasma is one of the four components of blood, it's a necessity.

Putting Blood back in my body without it's Plasma isn't for me.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6623|Washington, DC

Your body regenerates plasma pretty quickly if I'm not mistaken; just drink water before and after and you should be fine...

edit: LawJik, egg donation centers are likely no less anal than sperm donation centers

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-06-09 07:19:03)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL

LawJik wrote:

That's a long and painful process...
Nothing like donating sperm.
howler_27
+90|6679
Did they tell you that your immune system could become weak due to giving the plasma?  Your ability to catch colds ans sickness will increase. and ability to heal wounds(cuts, infections) will have the possibility of diminishing
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
plasma regenerates in 48 hours, if you happen to try to walk from pole to pole, naked and you get the flu because you didn't wait 2 extra days, then yes, it would've helped if you had the extra plasma. If your day consists of going to school (or work) and back and it's the middle of June, then I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

howler_27 wrote:

Did they tell you that your immune system could become weak due to giving the plasma?  Your ability to catch colds ans sickness will increase. and ability to heal wounds(cuts, infections) will have the possibility of diminishing
Weeeeeee free sick days!!!!
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6275|Pennsyltucky

I always found you get drunk a LOT faster after donating a pint of blood.

Wonder if it works the same with plasma ?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

So that's what you do? You sell your body? You know what that makes you don't you?

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6648|Brisbane, Australia

Ty wrote:

So that's what you do? You sell your body? You know what that makes you don't you?

Wait? He's whoring his body out to kids in africa?!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard