ozzie_johnson
+98|6671|Penrith, N.S.W, Australia
Most of the people who bag out wow have never played it.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6780|UK
I have played around a year of it, adding up to maybe 500 hours. That is nothing compared with people who play bf2. So people dont talk crap basically. Its only addictive to people with addictive natures.
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6594|Melbourne, Australia.

ozzie_johnson wrote:

True story.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6635|Gold coast, Aus.

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

ozzie_johnson wrote:

True story.
I have played it. it is shit.

ozzie kill yourself.

silver... Um... Come here and have my babies.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6780|UK

gene_pool wrote:

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

ozzie_johnson wrote:

True story.

ozzie kill yourself.

If gene says so it must be true...
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin

gene_pool wrote:

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

ozzie_johnson wrote:

True story.

ozzie kill yourself.

Its not shit, its just not everybody's game :p
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It's the pricing structure that is to blame - if the charged 'per-month-of-play' instead of 'per-real-time-month' then people would pace themselves more - as it is, there is an inevitable pull towards playing as many hours as possible per month to get the most for ones money.
Eh... thats not it. I know a few people addicted to it. They play it so much just to get better stuff and money in the game.
no, scorpion has it right.
Sgt.Gene: They're addicted because of the investment level - the more you play, the cheaper it is per hour and per-in-game level/object/stuff, in real-world terms - that's a very big incentive to put in as many hours per month as you can possibly manage.

Imagine paying £10/$20 per month to play BF2 - would you not play more than you do currently? (or stop playing all-together?)
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Sgt.Gene: They're addicted because of the investment level - the more you play, the cheaper it is per hour
No.

15 bucks a month is hardly a massive investment. It is nothing.
I play WoW - alot. I don't play it because I think that I must get the most out of my money....

...people are addicted to it because there is always something to do in it.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6669|Brisbane, Australia

Loaz, I played for about 3 months, towards the end I just drifted off and played Oblivion.

Yay Oblivion! High five Fenris!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Sgt.Gene: They're addicted because of the investment level - the more you play, the cheaper it is per hour
No.

15 bucks a month is hardly a massive investment. It is nothing.
I play WoW - alot. I don't play it because I think that I must get the most out of my money....
But you're not addicted to it - your motivations are different - I'm talking about the motivations of those that are addicted.

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

...people are addicted to it because there is always something to do in it.
Yes, yes, that feeds the addiction. The depth of the addiction is driven by the continuing costs involved.

Remember - if you want to play during a particular period of time, then you must pay for the number of whole months covering that period - whether you want to play for a few hours one day or for as many hours as you can everyday during that period.

The more hours you put in, the cheaper it becomes per-hour, thus driving the addiction deeper and deeper.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6609|Michigan, USA

farmerfez wrote:

lawl wow

play guildwars, its better and FREE
Why does everyone have Guild Wars a response to EVERY WoW thread?  Honestly I played Guild Wars, game is so insanely boring.  There is absouletly nothing to do except follow the extremely linear plot line, and PvP.  Thats it.  Once you finish the storyline you PvP or start a new character, talk about boring...
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6404

Flecco wrote:

Good luck. I got bored with it again.

Uninstalled...
You got conned into buying it in the first place?
RiceKrispie
+27|6401|Ottawa, ON

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It's the pricing structure that is to blame - if the charged 'per-month-of-play' instead of 'per-real-time-month' then people would pace themselves more - as it is, there is an inevitable pull towards playing as many hours as possible per month to get the most for ones money.
Eh... thats not it. I know a few people addicted to it. They play it so much just to get better stuff and money in the game.
No... It wouldn't make a difference. You've obviously never played an MMO (at least in a serious attempt to be successful) if you don't realize that a lot of people will always be willing to spend whatever time it takes to progress as far as they can, as quickly as they can. Like any online game, it's competitive. Whether the competition is other players, or just the player trying to improve their own character, there is always something to do or a reason to play more in an MMO.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The more hours you put in, the cheaper it becomes per-hour, thus driving the addiction deeper and deeper.
$15/month, regardless of how much you play. You still end up paying the same amount each month. I don't know where you get this ridiculous idea that you believe play time is based on people trying to get their money's worth. It's $15... Go to 2 movies. That's what, like 4 hours? So play an MMO for 4 hours and it's basically the same, but you can't accomplish anything by playing an MMO for 4 hours per month so nobody does. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'cost per hour'. You really don't know what you're talking about. I'm not arguing that they aren't addicting, so don't try to play that card. Fact is, it has nothing to do with the cost.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

RiceKrispie wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

No... It wouldn't make a difference. You've obviously never played an MMO (at least in a serious attempt to be successful) if you don't realize that a lot of people will always be willing to spend whatever time it takes to progress as far as they can, as quickly as they can. Like any online game, it's competitive. Whether the competition is other players, or just the player trying to improve their own character, there is always something to do or a reason to play more in an MMO.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

$15/month, regardless of how much you play. You still end up paying the same amount each month. I don't know where you get this ridiculous idea that you believe play time is based on people trying to get their money's worth. It's $15... Go to 2 movies. That's what, like 4 hours? So play an MMO for 4 hours and it's basically the same, but you can't accomplish anything by playing an MMO for 4 hours per month so nobody does. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'cost per hour'. You really don't know what you're talking about. I'm not arguing that they aren't addicting, so don't try to play that card. Fact is, it has nothing to do with the cost.
No it has everything to do with cost.

That fact that there is evermore to do in game feeds the addiction. But it is the cost structure that drives it.

If you play for 4 hours a month that's $3.25 per hour.

If you play for 8 hours a month that's $1.875 per hour.

If you play for 16 hours a month that's $0.9375 per hour.

If you play for 32 hours a month that's $0.46875 per hour.

The figures may be small in absolute terms but the 'decreasing cost per hour the more you play' factor is still an absolute and real factor in how deeply you become addicted.

I'm not saying that this is a concious weighing up of costs per hour by the player - it is an almost completely subconcious process.

If the game was charged for on a per-hour-played basis it would not be anywhere near as addictive - because that economic drive is not there.

Its all about getting a maximised gain for a minimised cost - something we humans are always striving, on a subconcious level, to achieve.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-10 22:24:38)

-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

But you're not addicted to it - your motivations are different - I'm talking about the motivations of those that are addicted.
Who says im not?

I can safely admit i'm addicted....I can happily sit on the computer on a weekend for 15 hours a day playing WoW. Its the fact that there is always something to do in the game.

The cost monthly is pissweak. I don't have a job, I'm 17...full time student and I can still eeasily pay for wow as well as have some sort of a social life (I'm not even that wealthy)

Its not the fact that 'oh - I must play alot tonight otherwise that game card I just bought will go to waste'

no,

its - 'oh...I need to get on tonight to do this instance with a group, otherwise I wont be able to go again for a week and I wont get my item...just 1 more level and then ill go to bed ...1 more'

Perhaps to some people who are struggling for money may think of it like that - but anyone who earns some sort of a wage will realise that WoW costs barely 1 hours work for that entire month, where you would probably work for 50+ hours for that month.

Last edited by -[Silver.Inc* (2007-06-11 00:34:47)

Sgt.Gene
+215|6777

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Sgt.Gene: They're addicted because of the investment level - the more you play, the cheaper it is per hour and per-in-game level/object/stuff, in real-world terms - that's a very big incentive to put in as many hours per month as you can possibly manage.

Imagine paying £10/$20 per month to play BF2 - would you not play more than you do currently? (or stop playing all-together?)
No, again, I play the fucking game I would know. People dont care about the stupid 15 dollars a month they have to pay. The "endgame" is what gets people addicted. Its a form of play that involves you and 39 other players running preset battlegrounds to get gear and gold.
Macca
Cylons' my kinda frak
+72|6459|Australia.
I don't have a character on Ravenholdt, but I'm willing to start a new one on there.
Apoc-SAS
rebmeM
+39|6401|Scotland
People get addicted to free MMO's? no?

Cost probably has little effect
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
+145|6669|The View From The Afternoon

Steveo7800 wrote:

Does anybody know the POINT to WoW, my brother has this game and all he does is walk around the WoW world randomly
There is no point.
Simon
basically
+838|6671|UK

Sgt.Gene wrote:

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

I know a guy who will play for about 15 or 16 hours on a Saturday.
I know a guy who played 33 hours straight to get level 70 when the expansion came out.
I know a guy who knew the Queens second removed cousin's brother of my sisters hairdresser.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6780|UK

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

RiceKrispie wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

No it has everything to do with cost.

That fact that there is evermore to do in game feeds the addiction. But it is the cost structure that drives it.

If you play for 4 hours a month that's $3.25 per hour.

If you play for 8 hours a month that's $1.875 per hour.

If you play for 16 hours a month that's $0.9375 per hour.

If you play for 32 hours a month that's $0.46875 per hour.

The figures may be small in absolute terms but the 'decreasing cost per hour the more you play' factor is still an absolute and real factor in how deeply you become addicted.

I'm not saying that this is a concious weighing up of costs per hour by the player - it is an almost completely subconcious process.

If the game was charged for on a per-hour-played basis it would not be anywhere near as addictive - because that economic drive is not there.

Its all about getting a maximised gain for a minimised cost - something we humans are always striving, on a subconcious level, to achieve.
This time im afraid your wrong.
eMarine
Gorgonnash PVP
+119|6857|Sacramento, Cal
Im a Night elf Rogue lvl 68.  name: Emarine

*Zips flame suit.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
You're all missing the point - the concious 'collect-em-up' aspects of the game just FEED the addiction - it is the unconscious aspects that DRIVE the addiction - the main one of which is the continuing cost.

And no, people don't get addicted to free MMOs to quite the same degree - yes it still happens, but not to the same degree.

It's easier to quit free MMOs because there is no commitment involved.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-14 12:21:03)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6676|USA
I have to say. The account I have is my step daughters that she never used. We just left it on and whoever wants to play, logs in and plays. Im sure there are addicts. Not in my household. I don't even think of the 15 dollars a month. Im that fucking rich.
Goven
/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
+125|6494|Purdue
Sorry scorpion. Honestly, in my opinion, it has nothing to do with the cost of the game. People who play free MMOs still get addicted in the same ways. 15 dollars per month isn't that much, unless you don't have a source of income, which you shouldn't have it/internets anyways. I don't even pay for it. I'm 16 years old, and I can safely say I'm addicted. Sure, I go to school, do my homework, get a 4.0, and have a social life, but I'll still addicted. My dad could care less about the $15 a month he throws out, and he roofs for a living. He's not concerned about "getting his moneys worth" nor or most of the people playing. He's just trying to get to level 70 and get epic gear like me and everyone else.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard