kylef
Gone
+1,352|6508|N. Ireland
Would solely look at the HP DV* range as they are sexy. I don't care what you think, all other laptops (except Macbooks) are ugly.

A thought I've been asking myself more and more. I game a lot, and I think I should tone down. A laptop still offers me the chance to game, but also portability. My computer, I'd like to hope, would sell for at least £750.. and with cash on top of that I could bring it to £1000.

Pros of Laptop:
Portability;
Less Gaming (it's a good thing, if you have anything to say, don't say it here);
Will stop me from upgrading every other week..

Cons of a Laptop:
Poor graphics;
Slower speed no doubt;
Outdated easily..

I really am stuck. Any person who has experience with both, I'd value your opinion greatly.
TravisC555
+118|6234|Cox Convention Center, OK
I have used both (laptop and desktop) for gaming. I didn't use the laptop as a backup computer either, it was my main computer. I found myself using the laptop in the same spot and not utilizing it's portability as much as I thought I would. Considering that I was using it in the same spot and that a desktop would be more powerful for the almost the same prices, I switched over to the desktop in my bedroom. I guess the real question is Would you be using the laptop for a long time? (Making the desktop look like a better choice) or Are you trying to tone down on playing games on your computer? (Making the laptop look like a better choice because most of them are weaker than desktops and you can't really upgrade them).

I hope this provides you some insight about your dilemma.

Last edited by TravisC555 (2007-06-06 12:00:03)

LtMarcus
+10|6602|Meise, Belgium
i have gamed on both too, i used to play on a desktop which was pretty fast.
now i use my Dell XPS m1710 gaming laptop which is great for games (duh) but just like Travis, i don't game much on other places then my desk @ home...
but if you would like to do lanparty's, a laptop is so cool if you see all the other guys with their heavy cases...
just open your backpack and off you go

if your budget is £1000 (about €1500?) then, i would go for the desktop..

Last edited by LtMarcus (2007-06-06 11:59:10)

Lost-Soul
+26|6524
No!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6664

Can I have your E6600?
jsnipy
+3,276|6537|...

get a medicre laptop on the side.

Speed wise they can compare mine has a c2d (T7200) and 4 GBs of ram ... I can run an instace of server 2003 on vmware inside of xp ... runs like a champ.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6659

I have both a laptop and a desktop computer now. At first I thought I would only use my laptop for its portability (so basically not use it when I could use the desktop). Now, I use it almost exclusively. While gaming on it is not as good as my desktop, I dont game as much as I used to so no big deal. I find it to be much quicker and convenient than the desktop which I only gets booted up for gaming anymore. I even have a friend who has switched completely and loves it, and still plays a variety of games on a regular basis. I would recommend both if you can afford it, but if I could only pick one, I'd keep my laptop.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6645|Washington, DC

Get an Alienware laptop. Then you can game a lot. Don't run away from what you are kyle.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6403|New York

Hurricane wrote:

Get an Alienware laptop. Then you can game a lot. Don't run away from what you are kyle.
Not recommended, my friend has one, and it's only given him trouble. He's had to reimage and reinstall windows about 6 times now, in like 2 years.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
OmniDeath
~
+726|6659

Hurricane wrote:

ew, not worth it...no alienware is for that matter. i have a dell (which im not a big fan of) but it gets the job done nicely, and for a better price. besides he is decided on one already, no?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6664

heggs wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Not recommended, my friend has one, and it's only given him trouble. He's had to reimage and reinstall windows about 6 times now, in like 2 years.
Yup. Alienware make horrible laptops. My friend had to have his returned 3 times in a month or two.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6370|England - Kent
no just no...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard