Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6580|USA
well, i'll be getting my first manual transmission car today (hopefully) and i'm trying to absorb as much info about them as i can before i actually get on the road. my father is going to teach me how to drive it, so thats no problem, but the more i know going in, the better. anybody have any tips? pointers? suggestions? big things to look out for, etc?

thanks.
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6465|the guy in the hind on gator
let go of the clutch slowely, if the car starts stuttering give more gas
once you get the hang of it it will be so easy you wont even think about doing what your doing, youl just do it, you know what i mean

Last edited by russ)=spetsnaz (2007-06-05 06:54:53)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6580|USA

russ)=spetsnaz wrote:

do you mean off of zero, or changing gears? or both?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6577|NYC / Hamburg

you'll learn quickly. Driving manual cars is easy.

russ)=spetsnaz wrote:

thats pretty much the only thing you need to remember.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6578|Mountains of NC

don't ride the clutch, don't go for burnouts till you're ina friends car, becareful when stopping up hill, learn how to downshift
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned

Ender2309 wrote:

russ)=spetsnaz wrote:

do you mean off of zero, or changing gears? or both?
of zero, but when changing gears there will be a little shake to the car if you dont give it a little gas while letting go
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida
Well, Do you know how a clutch works? It really helps when you understand whats going on.
When you push in the clutch you disengage from the engine, when you let up on the clutch you slowly move closer until your clutch grabs the engine, that's why when you let off your clutch when your moving you feel the jerk.
If you push the brake while still engaged to the engine (clutch out) then you will usually stall, this is because your stopping the engine from spinning. If you want to brake be sure to push in the clutch.
Like poster 2 said, ease up on the clutch while slowly giving it more gas, this is especially tricky on a hill when the asshole behind you has an automatic and he is 4 inches from your bumper.
You'll get the hang of it.

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2007-06-05 07:00:19)

15 more years! 15 more years!
max
Vela Incident

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

... this is especially tricky on a hill when the asshole behind you has an automatic and he is 4 inches from your bumper.
talking about me?

Last edited by max (2007-06-05 07:01:21)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
you can usually brake a little before pressing clutch, like i said as soon as u start to feel the stutter, press the clutch or give more gas
Ettercrab
+11|6661|Finland
For me it was tricky to learn driving with automatic, I tried to press brake like clutch (causing very quick stop) before remembering that i didn't have the clutch .

Its not that hard to drive manual transmission car, you probably just shut your car down or turn it into "kangamobile" few times (at least I did) before you learn how to get car moving smoothly, just practice it in empty road or parking place few times before going to traffic.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6760|Chicago.
When you first release the clutch, the friction between the clutch itself and your engine flywheel will try to slow the other down. Let the revs drop too far, you'll kill the engine. A gentile touch on the gas can help this, keeping the engine revs up to a certain level enough to get the car moving and allow you to release the clutch the whole way.

Once the car is moving, shifting is less complicated. Once you get high enough in the RPM range, (you'll know when you want to shift), depress the clutch the whole way, and move the shifter (be sure to hit the gear you want, a 1st to 3rd shift can suck while moving slow) to that gear. Get back lightley on the gas and let the clutch up.

So your moving, great, but what about stopping? To slow down, I find it best to depress the clutch, give the engine some gas and, while moving the shifter into a lower gear, let the clutch up. This lets you do whats called "engine braking", or slow down without touching your brakes. Because your in a lower gear, the transmission won't spin as much power to the wheels, so you slow down. When you get to the light, stop sign, or whatever, depress the clutch again and then use your brakes. Then it's time to start all over again.

I hope this helps, I'm envious of you. I'd kill to drive a manual, but I'm stuck with this little 4 speed auto that I can shift like a single footed standard transmission. I've only driven manual once, but it was great.

Have fun dude.
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6530

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

this is especially tricky on a hill when the asshole behind you has an automatic and he is 4 inches from your bumper.
Thats when you cheat.  Put your parking break on until you get the clutch engaged, start moving and take it off.  No rollback, and if you dont leave the parking break on, no unusual wear on it either.
Ironsteed
Fuck Shoes
+18|6480|North of Dallas
Well everyone pretty much covered it for you, so I will just interject two thoughts:

1. Except for the whole shifting gears on your own, everything else is the same as driving an automatic.  Keep that in mind if/when you get frustrated, all you are learning is smooth take off and shifting while moving is a piece of cake.

2. You must push the clutch pedal down before you start the engine on 99.99% of manual transmission automobiles.  I was teaching an old gf to drive stick once and she calls me the next day saying the car won't start.  Turned out she wasn't pressing the clutch in when she tried to start it.

Good Luck, you will soon start to understand why people refer to driving as a "Need for Speed".
golgoj4
+51|6784|North Hollywood

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

Well, Do you know how a clutch works? It really helps when you understand whats going on.
When you push in the clutch you disengage from the engine, when you let up on the clutch you slowly move closer until your clutch grabs the engine, that's why when you let off your clutch when your moving you feel the jerk.
If you push the brake while still engaged to the engine (clutch out) then you will usually stall, this is because your stopping the engine from spinning. If you want to brake be sure to push in the clutch.
Like poster 2 said, ease up on the clutch while slowly giving it more gas, this is especially tricky on a hill when the asshole behind you has an automatic and he is 4 inches from your bumper.
I always roll back some on a steep hill just to keep people back. that and ive just gotten good at getting into 1st on a steep incline.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
They should have it so everyone learns in manual in the first place, screw automatic, you don't need to learn that. Once you can drive manual, you can drive anything. That's how it is over here.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-06-05 07:52:20)

BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6760|Chicago.
I would disagree. Learning automatic first lets you focus on key car control issues first, shifting second. I'm glad that I learned in an auto first, it let me get the feel of how a car will move without my input on gear selection. But once you have a grip on how the car moves, and are sure of yourself in control of the car, then manual is the best way to go.
max
Vela Incident

Mekstizzle wrote:

They should have it so everyone learns in manual in the first place, screw automatic, you don't need to learn that. Once you can drive manual, you can drive anything. That's how it is over here.
I thought you could do 2 types of licenses in all of Europe. A full one and an automatic only one
Mekstizzle
WALKER

max wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I thought you could do 2 types of licenses in all of Europe. A full one and an automatic only one
Yeah but nobody ever does an automatic only one. Over here at least, i don't know anyone with an auto only license.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6559|EUtopia | Austria

max wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

No, but generally the school cars have manual transmissions (at least in Austria) so basically you can't avoid learning it
max
Vela Incident

Mekstizzle wrote:

max wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah but nobody ever does an automatic only one. Over here at least, i don't know anyone with an auto only license.
generally true. Most of teachers in school had automatic-only licenses though. Yet another indication why I am right for calling them retards

Stormscythe wrote:

max wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

No, but generally the school cars have manual transmissions (at least in Austria) so basically you can't avoid learning it
we all know you Austrians are weird

Last edited by max (2007-06-05 08:12:25)

bennisboy
+829|6656|Poundland
Its easy. When pulling away, release the clutch slowly, if the car begins stuttering, more gas is needed.
For changing up a gear, you can bring the clutch up a lot quicker, dont keep your foot on the gas when changing gears tho.
When changing down a gear, you need to release the clutch more slowly and give it some more gas until you can feel it "balancing" (as in you've got enough gas to keep the car going at the speed your travelling at when releasing the clutch) this helps to avoid jerking when slowing down and changing down a gear.
Oh n dont worry about pressing the clutch every time u break! U can go quite slow without stalling, in almost any gear. Pressing the clutch everytime u break reduces your control of the car because there is nothing connected to the engine.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Londoners......calling petrol.. "gas"

*shoots self*
bennisboy
+829|6656|Poundland

max wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

correct. the auto only one is for people that dont have the coordination to change gears. tbh they shouldnt be driving then should they...
bennisboy
+829|6656|Poundland

Mekstizzle wrote:

Londoners......calling petrol.. "gas"

*shoots self*
lol u have no idea then do you. More gas when talking about clutch control refers to pressing down more on the accelerator

Ironsteed wrote:

Well everyone pretty much covered it for you, so I will just interject two thoughts:

2. You must push the clutch pedal down before you start the engine on 99.99% of manual transmission automobiles.  I was teaching an old gf to drive stick once and she calls me the next day saying the car won't start.  Turned out she wasn't pressing the clutch in when she tried to start it.

Good Luck, you will soon start to understand why people refer to driving as a "Need for Speed".
only if its still in gear

Last edited by bennisboy (2007-06-05 08:44:35)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6398|New York
I've found that reversing is the most difficult thing to do while driving stick. Also, starting from rest into first gear. If you can master those two things, you're fine.

Driving stick is very much a feeling thing. Keep an eye on your revs, and know when to shift. You don't want to be revving too high for too long, it puts extra strain on the engine that isn't necessary. As others have said, try to let off the clutch as you depress the gas pedal. Once you get the hang of it, you should be doing a very controlled fluid movement: raise one up, push one down. Takes some practice, but you should be fine. Also, when you park the car, make sure you pull parking brake so that the car doesn't roll.

One more thing, don't worry about stalling it, that'll happen. I can't even count the number of times I've stalled while driving stick.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard