DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6708|United States of America
I was in Chicago recently, a place much, much larger than my hometown. I was looking at all the humongous buildings and began to wonder: what would it take to take over a city like this? I started thinking of how possibile it even is anymore for large-scale warfare like in Stalingrad of old. Clearing out a single building would take a pretty long time in my mind. Despite all this, cities weren't really small back sixty years ago when they were being occupied. It's really a large feat to take over such a huge community no matter how bombed out it is. Next time you're in a metropolis, ponder how difficult it would be to take that place over. It's mind-blowing.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6572|San Diego, CA, USA
You assume that you want to use forces on foot doing house-to-house searches.  Here are two simple solutions:

1.  Send a squadron of B-52s and level the place, then go in and clean-up (Advantage: easy to do, Disadvantage: everything is destroyed).

2.  Use a Nuetron Bomb (Advantage: kills everything living instantly, Disadvantage: you better come quickly in or else the bodies will rot)
Archer
rapes face
+161|6447|Canuckistan

DesertFox- wrote:

I was in Chicago recently, a place much, much larger than my hometown. I was looking at all the humongous buildings and began to wonder: what would it take to take over a city like this? I started thinking of how possibile it even is anymore for large-scale warfare like in Stalingrad of old. Clearing out a single building would take a pretty long time in my mind. Despite all this, cities weren't really small back sixty years ago when they were being occupied. It's really a large feat to take over such a huge community no matter how bombed out it is. Next time you're in a metropolis, ponder how difficult it would be to take that place over. It's mind-blowing.
nuke

african rebels
herrr_smity
+156|6651|space command ur anus
use chemical weapons
bogo24dk
+26|6530

Harmor wrote:

You assume that you want to use forces on foot doing house-to-house searches.  Here are two simple solutions:

1.  Send a squadron of B-52s and level the place, then go in and clean-up (Advantage: easy to do, Disadvantage: everything is destroyed).
Didn't the nazi use the same method on Stalingrad. Just to wake up to the reality that the town was made in to a defense castle for the Russians.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6579
Chicago is THE best city in America. CamPoe <3 Chicago. One of the best cities I've ever been to on any of my travels. Period.

As to the question:

Poison the water supply.

I'm surprised the Arabs haven't attempted that on Israel. Instant death for the state of Israel (but also for the Palestinians).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-06-03 08:59:37)

CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6713|Fort Lewis WA
City Fighting is dangerous.  Aside from using a non-conventional attack....It would take a Division to clear something the size of Chi-town.  And that is being generous not adding the fact that for each high rise you would have to leave atleast a platoon to keep a foothold.  With security elements keeping a foothold on each building the strain would be too much for most militaries.  In a city fight  Speed,Surprise and Violence of Action are the keys to winning....BUT how much surprise would you have after say building 2 was taken out and cleared?

In Haifa Street, it took a platoon to clear 1 20 story high rise of apartments...but that was due to the fact we did not have large numbers to keep tossing troops into more and more buildings.  So we took Key Terrain and locked them down, using the higher floors to pick off targets as they made themselves known. Break it down into fire team sizes, the squads could clear two rooms/apartments at the same time. Thats six areas being cleared at the same time, 7 if your weapons squad is feeling froggy enough to clear rooms with machine guns.
The buildings were mostly empty, so it didnt take so long, but that building my platoon took still took 2 hours to clear.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6572|San Diego, CA, USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Chicago is THE best city in America. CamPoe <3 Chicago. One of the best cities I've ever been to on any of my travels. Period.

As to the question:

Poison the water supply.

I'm surprised the Arabs haven't attempted that on Israel. Instant death for the state of Israel (but also for the Palestinians).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Israel have desalisation plants?  Also its very difficult to poison a water supply with today's filtering techonology.  You would have to have something that is poisonous or infectuous that is less than 5-10 nanometers.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England
You know what they never talk about, urban warfare in WW1. Was like the whole war fought on a single line that didn't move or what.

---

From what i saw (Urban WW2 fighting) pretty much all the big buildings were bombed out in some way or another. If you were to apply WW2 style fighting in a modern skyscraper city, they would simply destroy the high rises to prevent snipers and all that lurking around. That's what i think. They wouldn't clear out the buildings, what use would that be? It was a freakin all out war, anything went in those days (even nukes when they arrived) they would've just blown them all up. Skyscrapers seem like easy targets for anything.

---

And nowadays no country will invade a country with nukes

"get your soldiers out or your capital will be reduced to rubble in......now, bye"

"but we have nukes, we'll fire back"

"but you'll still die"

"oh yeah"

Nukes ftw. They really are peacekeepers.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-06-03 10:01:02)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6492

Harmor wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

As to the question:

Poison the water supply.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Israel have desalisation plants?  Also its very difficult to poison a water supply with today's filtering techonology.  You would have to have something that is poisonous or infectuous that is less than 5-10 nanometers.
desalination plants only remove the salt from sea water. But yeah the filters are good enough to remove almost all poisons that an Arab terrorist would have access to.

Last edited by doctastrangelove1964 (2007-06-03 11:50:17)

paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6763
You can get some pointer from here if your worried about what to do.

https://img524.imageshack.us/img524/889/196155invasionusaposteryr7.jpg
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6517|N. Ireland
hypothetical situation
how about you shut up and stop thinking like a terrorist.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6708|United States of America

leetkyle wrote:

hypothetical situation
how about you shut up and stop thinking like a terrorist.
No. Also, you sound as though you are referring to every single enemy combatant as a terrorist.

Terrorist = Enemy but Enemy ≠ Terrorist
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6470|Chicago, IL
A full scale invasion of the US is practcally impossible, we have desert to the south, tundra/forest to the north, and ocean on the sides, along with thousands of miles of grassland that an enemy must cross. 

As for the cities, nuclear attacks aside, they are a defenders paradise, tight streets, many bridges, and limited access to roads, there's almost no way to take one without tens of thousands of casualties.

remember Stalingrad?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard