will180
Power Lurker
+27|6689|Jacksonville, Florida
Godwin's Law
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6572|CH/BR - in UK

Lisik wrote:

Israel population could be 13 millions and not 7.
Someone said it before: How about 0? And, oh, I think most of the Arab nations would still be part of the UK in one way or another - as far as I can recall, the promise to freedom was given in exchange for the pledge of alliance in the world wars. So, I guess, in a way, the Arab countries would still be peaceful - and ruled by the British
Oh - and maybe Germany would actually have had a much better economy... And...Switzerland, my home country, would have been much poorer.

-konfusion
doxy
+74|6812|Nevis

will180 wrote:

Godwin's Law
Godwin's Law won't fit here, the discussion is from the beginning about hitler, there is no point where someone compares him to himself, to saloth sar (pol poth), stalin, kim jong il, kim sung il, saddam or any other guy like them.

//EDIT
the discussion will kill itself through the fact that history can't be changed. its is absolutely impossible to predict a world without hitler, his geopolitical influence was, and still is, too big. for example, take a look at north america, before hitler, they were close to today, they had strong family values, grounded on believers in church morality, they were far away from the super power they were till 1989, especially when u see on military statistics (manpower, weapon systems, science) u would never guess, that they had entered WWII without any influence to the americans. true, the day, the fight was brought back on the european mainland, that all changed. first steps to the cold war took place.

Last edited by doxy (2007-05-31 13:49:31)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6490
Another extremist would have taken over Germany and rebuilt the war-machine.
golgoj4
+51|6796|North Hollywood
I personally think some other asshole would have taken his place. It was more the economic conditions after wwI that lead Germany to be in a situation where they would listen to a crazy. With times that bad, it was only a matter of time until some opportunist took power. Maybe that guy wouldn't have been a speed freek though...

just my 2cents
Ryan
+1,230|6865|Alberta, Canada

There would just be another dictator twice as bad as what Hitler was.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6790

CameronPoe wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Europe would not be unified and peaceful.

America would not be a superpower.

Most of Europe would probably be Communist.

There would be a lot more people in the world.
More or less accurate. Communism would have reigned by default not because of Stalin though. Republican Spain would have defeated Franco if not for Hitler. That would have triggered a domino effect across Europe.

One thing though: this would only be the outcome if Germany was one of those dominos, which they very well could have been had it not been for Hitler.
So Hitler was a necessary evil?
Arcano-D.E.S
+13|6568
Doxy to think that Germany could not have fought a civil war because there were no weapons is crazy. Weapons were plentiful the Germans just weren't allowed to use them in an organized way. The only organized unit would have been the Freikorps and if there was open conflict more and more of the old guard would have joined them to crush the commies. More than likely a military junta or even the kaiser may have been brought back into power but it would have been a costly, probably short, civil war. I think the communist paranoia would cause the downfall of the communist movement and the rise of militant Prussian leadership again.

The Domino Theory is just plain silly. It is just a theory to scare the west into action. In almost every place communism has flourished it has been too busy putting down internal problems to spread international communism. Anyone who thinks that communism would just spread through Christian Europe doesn't understand how 20-30's Europe worked.

Last edited by Arcano-D.E.S (2007-05-31 18:35:20)

ghostgr
177th Field Artillery
+39|6763|In your head
What would it be like if the U.S. spoke German instead of English? Back in the early days of this country the Congress voted on what language was to be spoken and English won by ONE vote against German. So what would it have been like if we spoke German during WWII?
jonsimon
+224|6517
No Israel. Sounds like a happier place already.
san4
The Mas
+311|6710|NYC, a place to live
Bohdan Khmelnytsky would be a lot more famous.

Last edited by san4 (2007-05-31 19:00:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard