Where to put the arty on?

On the carrier19%19% - 10
On the flag your team is trying to take21%21% - 11
On your flag the enemy try to take over59%59% - 31
Total: 52
Knochenmann_AUT
+1|6741
The Situation:

The map is wake isle, you are commander of the PLA. Four of the five flags are yours, the USMC has taken over the north east flag.

You have scaned the map, and this is the situation:

- There are still 10~15 people on the carrier, waiting for a ride.
- 2 enemy soldiers are trying to take over the flag on the south beach.
- All other USMC plaber are at the nord east flag, defending it from your team witch is mostly on the west side of the bridge.

The question is: where to put the arty on? And why?
nitroglycerin [SWE]
+0|6742|Falsterbo Sweden
It isn't all about getting points, it's about making your team win. I'd arty the flag instead. If I were close to the flag trying to be overtaken by the enemy, I'd try to defend it myself, and then if it succeds I'd arty the carrier.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6778

you didn't specify how many players in total, so I don't know how many are at the flag. I'm assuming around 8 or so in my response.

Carrier? It can wait. Chances are the next time your arty is ready, there'll still be a bunch of people waiting.

If there's a listening squad near the south beach get them to defend it for a mo, or go do it yourself.

The enemy flag is the best choice.

Remember, the number of kills you get with arty does decide whether or not your team wins, it reduces tickets depending on the kills/tk's you attain.

So by artillerizing (haha) the enemy flag, you guarantee almost certain death to the defenders, and perhaps 3-4 people who spawn within the time frame of the shells. Plus, you  keep your soldiers alive, if they've any brains.
supa_fly52
Save a Mouse, Eat a Pussy
+8|6770|Gold Coast, Australia
You only get 1 point for arty, even if you kill the whole opposing team
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6836|Delaware

supa_fly52 wrote:

You only get 1 point for arty, even if you kill the whole opposing team
You don't get a damn thing globally for Artillery kills. You get 2 combat points (per kill), but not two global. You get jack shit for anything you do as commander. It's all about your team. Now if you actually support your team, they may do better, making you do better.

BTW, It depends on how skilled my team is. If I saw all blue in the top left I'd arty the carrier. All red? The pile of morons fighting my guys.
Ub3r-ElitE
Teargas wh0re
+2|6736
Depends.

But i think i would arty the carrier. 15 possible kills, no teamkills = possible -15 tickets for the USMC.

I wouldn't arty my flag because you might TK your own people that are trying to defend it. Same is with the flag my team tries to take over.
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6743|Germany

Answer the following questions:
- How many of your team members can reach the flag  BEFORE it is taken?
- How important is the flag?
=> - Will you be able to defend your other flags? (e.g. the airfield)
When you don't think so, fire at the flag.

- What is the ticket situation like?
When your team has less tickets, attack the carrier.

- Will your team run into your arty fire?
If not, you could attack the enemy flag. maybe your team has a chance to take the flage after the strike.
shingara
+0|6789|the motherland uk
this is gonna be drastic to some, bomb the carriar, drop a uva over the flag u are trying to get back and send your attack chooper to defend the flag and post a sniper at each flag and give who ever needs supplies them, and while you are doing that send 3 spec ops to the carriar to blow up the uva and radar and force them to spawn on the island and nick there planes.

love and war dont mix unless u love killing the enemy
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6856|Cologne, Germany

depends if a squad of your team is close to the south base to defend it. If not, bomb that one. you cannot allow the enemy to cap two flags on different ends of the island.

Is the bridge at the north base destroyed ? If yes, bomb here. if it is intact, order your squads to retake the north flag ( by use of vehicles ) and bomb the carrier or the arty island instead.

that would be my approach.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6778

shingara wrote:

this is gonna be drastic to some, bomb the carriar, drop a uva over the flag u are trying to get back and send your attack chooper to defend the flag and post a sniper at each flag and give who ever needs supplies them, and while you are doing that send 3 spec ops to the carriar to blow up the uva and radar and force them to spawn on the island and nick there planes.

love and war dont mix unless u love killing the enemy
if you ever pull this off i'll bow down to your commanding abilities and your magnificent team.
RedFiercare
The Kid
+2|6758
I'd say bomb the carrier.  There are what, 300 tickets (330 for US) on Wake?  If I had a chance to take down 4% of their tickets, you're damn right I would.  4% may not seem like alot, but I've seen a vast amount of rounds come down to 10-0, etc.  (had 2 come down to 1-0 on Karkand yesterday) and this could be your ticket to another win.

Also, you may hit air assets, and keep air out of the sky for a little longer, which is another EXCELLENT idea.
DoktorRocket
+0|6725
I was glad to see this question asked, I was in this situation a few nights ago. In my case  the tickets were getting low, ~40-50 or so for each side. When it gets low like that I tend to switch strategies from capturing and holding flags to just helping my team get some kills while preventing them from being killed. So I:

1) Threw up a UAV for my squad that was defending and told them to dig in.
2) Told the squad that was attacking to pull back to our closest spawn and dig in there.
3) Arty'd the carrier 3-4 times, getting ~7 kills per barrage.

We won, but I always feel a bit guilty about arty'ing the carrier on Wake. Not because there's anything wrong with blasting the plane campers, mind you, but because I was afraid it might actually frustrate them to the point where they spawned on the island and actually got into the fight.

Oh, and you can gain something from arty, specifically badges/ribbons that require kills. That strikes me as a bit on the cheezy side, though. I always try to play engineer when I command, so that I can separate my combat kills from my command kills, as such. As you might expect, my K/D with the engineer is higher than with the rest of the classes.
randabeast
+0|6748
I'd have to know more about the ticket situation to see how early or late in the game it is.
When it is early it is usually only one or two guys capping a flag and they tend to move on pretty quickly because everyone will be spawing there.

I'd go with the carrier because 15 kills is a lot of tickets. On the other hand most on the carrier are going to spawn at the capped flag so you get -15 tickets on the enemy but give them a free ride to the island.
Tough call
a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6731|MoVal, Southern California
the best thing to do is reclaim the flag on your island because maintaining control of your island's flags is your priority. deploy UAV on that flag, and if your teammates have quite some distance away, arty the flag where your enemies are defeding it.  once the barrage ends, it gives some time for your team mates to rush and reclaim the fflag. Now once you reclaim all your flags, you're free to bomb the hell out of the carrier, as i did:) i'll post a screen shot soon.   

hope this helps!
a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6731|MoVal, Southern California
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ … b374a6.png

i was commander on the PLA team (got 3rd place) with 66 points. look at the USMC score....the person with the most points was 11!!! talk about pwnage. we took control of the island very well. My team did a fantastic job.
88mm
+8|6821
I voted 'On the flag the enemy is trying to take over'.

I would not fire here if the flag was contested or team members would soon arrive. As a rule, I'd rather drop artillery just after the flag has fallen. The risk for team-kills is then less.

Other options: 'On the flag your team is trying to take over': Yes, this is when artillery has most effect, clearing the path for your team but before they are at the flag.

'On the carrier'. LOL. This is usually base-raping on Wake, but I have been known to do it ... hehe ... but that comes low on the list.

https://bf2s.com/player/45820894/sig.png
https://bf2s.com/player/45820894/sig5.png
https://bf2s.com/player/45820894/sig3.png
https://bf2s.com/player/45820894/awards.jpg
slidero
I would put a UAV over the flag where the enemies are to make my team aware of them and just put the arty on the carrier
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6732|Riva, MD
God, it pisses me off so much when the commander puts an artillery strike where most of your team is or are about to go into and then they kill you.  IT'S TOO FUCKING RISKY, STOP DOING THAT!!!!!

Last edited by _j5689_ (2005-12-13 17:37:14)

Flasheart88
+0|6775|Brisbane
Well, as far as I'm concerned - and I have bugger all experience as a commander, but I know how difficult it is to stop the USMC after they get a toe-hold at both tips of the island, I think the option is to bomb the flag they're about to take. If you can stop them turning that into a spawn point, and thus give a single squad time to get there and reinforce it, you can concentrate the majority of your ground forces on re-taking the spawn point the US have already taken.

Simply, if the US are denied more than one spawn point on the island, their job is a LOT harder and that increases the chances of your own troops. Let's face it, with 15 guys still on the carrier, the commander's ground forces surrounding the US flag on the island should seriously outnumber the US forces, and retaking it shouldn't be too difficult as long as you support them with UAV and air cover.

Sure, 15 kills on the carrier is good for both the commander's K/D ratio and for reducing tickets, but a pair of good pilots can easily keep the US from getting off the carrier by sea or air, but can't stop them spawning on the island itself, if you give the US that option.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6790|Noizyland

Artillery the North enemy base. If your guys are on the outskirts, the Artillery shouldn't effect them, or they should be able to successfully take cover. It aids your guys in pushing the USMC off the island so they have to be on the carrier, so your next Artillery shot over can be on the carrier.

So... what did you do?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard