Janysc
+59|6676|Norway
Got the letter from Norway's military today, saying that on the 14th of August this year I'm to report for service...

I'll get sent to Skjold, second battalion. It's a long way from where I live, and it's called (but they have midnight sun!). From what I've heard, the second battalion is all about rock'n'roll, in a manner of speaking. At least that's what the officer told me that one time... Here's a nice map:
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Spookyfish/Skjoldogmeg.png
That's about 1500 kilometres.

So, any other Norwegians who've been drafted this year or before who'd like to share some stories or tips on this location, or the national service in general? Any way I can find time enough to keep practiced in maths and physics (since I'm going to NTNU afterwards) while I'm up there? Just an hour every week, or so.
Anyone else who've been in the military elsewhere; feel free to shed some words.

PS: To anyone not with knowledge of the Norwegian national service, NO, I won't get sent into a war zone. Unless the men in black come for me.
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.
Why do Norway even have the draft, what do soldiers even do?

Teddy..Jimmy got drafted, but i think he avoided it. Somehow...
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command
Say you've converted to Islam, show up with a long beard and turbin.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

ATG wrote:

lol. And ask for a transfer to the air corps.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-05-22 12:33:11)

Janysc
+59|6676|Norway

jord wrote:

From what I know, they get trained for a year and get into the day-and-night drills of the military. I think it's there to either be a hole in the national budget, or to "lure" people into the military after a pleasant service.

Hm... Teddy here?

jord wrote:

In that case they'd probably send me to a kindergarten for a year instead.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6725|St. Andrews / Oslo

lol, your gonna get raped by the laps (samer)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548
One of my housemates is actually a draft dodger from Austria. If he returns to Austria and attempts to take up employment or avail of the social services there before the age of 35 he has to do a years service - so he's basically an exile from his own country!!!!
Janysc
+59|6676|Norway

Jenspm wrote:

They're easy to spot in the winter landscape...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/Costumes_Saami.jpg

CameronPoe wrote:

One of my housemates is actually a draft dodger from Austria. If he returns to Austria and attempts to take up employment or avail of the social services there before the age of 35 he has to do a years service - so he's basically an exile from his own country!!!!
A friend of mine did the same thing, save they "forgot" about him for two years; by that time he was getting a grade in the USA.

Last edited by Janysc (2007-05-22 12:38:02)

derstralle
Iron Egg Skill, bitches!
+29|6208
Until recently the draft was there to have a veeeery large army that could stop a possible soviet armored offensive through Europe. The rests of the defense forces should entangle with NATO reinforcements and counterattack into eastern Europe.
After the Cold War the draft serves the purpose to supply the social-system with enough "volunteers" (you can choose between military and social service).

edit: This was in response to this:

jord wrote:

Last edited by derstralle (2007-05-22 12:41:52)

jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

jord wrote:

I think it had something with being an English citizen.
Janysc
+59|6676|Norway

jsnipy wrote:

jord wrote:

I'm screwed.

... by the laps...
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6767
Put on 300 pounds.
ARCHANGEL1941
Hell Yeah I Suck Toes!!!
+14|6190|Cali

Janysc wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

They're easy to spot in the winter landscape...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _Saami.jpg

CameronPoe wrote:

A friend of mine did the same thing, save they "forgot" about him for two years; by that time he was getting a grade in the USA.
killer boots man
ARCHANGEL1941
Hell Yeah I Suck Toes!!!
+14|6190|Cali
question. is there any real threat of danger or war if you're drafted into the Norwegian army?
What is the day top day activities for there army?
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.

jsnipy wrote:

jord wrote:

Yeah i remember him talking about going to Oxford after i explained how awesome he would be if he did.

Then he could win every argument and throw it in people's faces.
Janysc
+59|6676|Norway

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

question. is there any real threat of danger or war if you're drafted into the Norwegian army?
No danger of being sent abroad, not even for enlisted soldiers. They decide for themselves if they want to be offered jobs abroad. We're mostly peacekeepers through NATO, ISAF or the UN from what I know. Seems like most soldiers stay at home, while a few hundred are down in the trouble-areas of the world.
The Russian bear is always scary, but no real threat... yet.
bigdroo
+7|6419|Yooahss-ayy!

derstralle wrote:

Until recently the draft was there to have a veeeery large army that could stop a possible soviet armored offensive through Europe. The rests of the defense forces should entangle with NATO reinforcements and counterattack into eastern Europe.
After the Cold War the draft serves the purpose to supply the social-system with enough "volunteers" (you can choose between military and social service).
Hmm... I think during the Cold War, Norway's army was there to give Norwegians a day or two to evacuate before the Soviets stormed in. It wasn't that large an army and it surely would have been crushed by the USSR in any kind of frontal war.

Norway does, however, have some magnificent skiing and fjords to hide your ships in. Oh and it's proximity to Sweden and their bikini team is verrr-nice!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
Prepare to be thrown off a mountain by drunk soldiers. Just like you'd be thrown off a boat by drunk Navy Personnel and thrown off an aircraft by drunk Air Force personnel.

Damn straight that's what i think when i think the military.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

Janysc wrote:

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

No danger of being sent abroad, not even for enlisted soldiers. They decide for themselves if they want to be offered jobs abroad. We're mostly peacekeepers through NATO, ISAF or the UN from what I know. Seems like most soldiers stay at home, while a few hundred are down in the trouble-areas of the world.
The Russian bear is always scary, but no real threat... yet.
Still you get to play with guns, always good fun. Have a blast while you're there.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6541|San Diego, CA, USA
Right now our entire military is volunteer - some say you have a better army when everyone is a volunteer instead of being volunteered to fight.

I want to be drafted.  My father was a Marine for 30 years.  He didn't specificly forbade me from joining the military, but I knew that he wanted the best for me and that ment going to college and being an Engineer.

However, I feel like my life is pretty boring.  Yeah I'm doing well fiscally, but I feel like I'm not making a difference - doing something greater than myself.

I'm too old to join the military now so I very much hope that Iran starts something so we have to have the draft - if we only bomb their nuclear bases and destroy their military conventionally we won't have a draft.  If we go in with 1 million troops, then there will be a draft.

/crossfingers

P.S.  Stay away from blasts.

Last edited by Harmor (2007-06-23 21:30:01)

chittydog
less busy
+586|6828|Kubra, Damn it!

So you hope there'll be another war and thousands more die just so you can dress up in green and play with a gun? If, as you say, you're too old to join the military now, the chances of you being drafted are slim anyway. Just join already if you want to.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6381|USA, MICHIGAN
just remember, if you made something go BOOM!!!!  it was a good day
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6541|San Diego, CA, USA

chittydog wrote:

So you hope there'll be another war and thousands more die just so you can dress up in green and play with a gun? If, as you say, you're too old to join the military now, the chances of you being drafted are slim anyway. Just join already if you want to.
Yes.  At least my life would be worth something.  26 is the age limit in the United States to join the military.  If there is a draft then they will probably wave the physical requirements, which I would fail now.
link52787
+29|6514
good luck

Don't drop the soap.

you are going to prison right?
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6726|Oslo, Norway
Lucky you, try to get yourself into a helicopter.

(Da du var på sesjon kunne du puttet skip på alle tre muligheter, da hadde du garantert kommet på skip...)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard