Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

As cougar aptly demonstrated, no it's not.
He must have photoshoped or somthing...
Why?

How do you people think this game works?

The mines do not move!

If you click a mine on your first go, you click a mine on your first go.

That's it. Game over.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6590|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Roger-Lesboules-/Minesweeper.jpg

Expert level!
Brasso
+1,549|6643

I still have no idea how to play Minesweeper at all.

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6632|Medford, WI
no if you read mine and unnamednewbies posts, with those keys you type in, it tells you where the mines are, so all you do is click where one is and BOOM, you die on your first click...

Last edited by CosmoKramer (2007-05-23 19:48:06)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6658

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

10 minutes later....

And it looks like it isn't very popular.
rolf funny stuff lol
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6583|United States
That has to be the lamest game ever created. Funny post though.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6719

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

As cougar aptly demonstrated, no it's not.
Why?

The mines do not move!

That's it. Game over.
It is impossible.  When I was 11 I used to play this game all the time.  Not the most thrilling game I know, but what else is there do do on a computer that uses windows 1.2 as an operating system.  I figured this out by clicking the same square several dozen games in a row, and then alternating differenernt 2nd moves.  I have never been killed on the first try(usually on the second:P).  If I had been patient enough I may have eventually map out all of the possible mine arrangements from the first few moves.

It randomly generates a different configuration of mines when you place your 1st move.  It only selects from those that do not have a mine in the place where you moved on your 1st move.  I just explained how I figured this out.

Why must we disagree with each other all of the time?

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2007-05-23 19:53:24)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Why?

The mines do not move!

That's it. Game over.
It is impossible.  When I was 11 I used to play this game all the time.  Not the most thrilling game I know, but what else is there do do on a computer that uses windows 1.2 as an operating system.  I figured this out by clicking the same square several dozen games in a row, and then alternating differenernt 2nd moves.  I have never been killed on the first try(usually on the second:P).  If I had been patient enough I may have eventually map out all of the possible mine arrangements from the first few moves.

It randomly generates a different configuration of mines when you place your 1st move.  It only selects from those that do not have a mine in the place where you moved on your 1st move.  I just explained how I figured this out.
No it doesn't. It randomly places the mines BEFORE your first click.

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Because you're always wrong perhaps?
Ryan
+1,230|6856|Alberta, Canada

haffeysucks wrote:

I still have no idea how to play Minesweeper at all.

The numbers represent the amount of mines in the 8 squares around the one you clicked.
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6719

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Why?

The mines do not move!

That's it. Game over.

No it doesn't. It randomly places the mines AFTER your first click.
What is your proof that it does it before your 1st click.  You have yet to back up any of your statements, and it looks pretty silly when I come up with a detailed explanation, and all you can come up with is a contradicting sentence.

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

At least I was not rude enough to suggest the same thing about you!

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2007-05-23 20:26:41)

cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6303|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Why can't you guys just agree to disagree, like Ron Burgundy?

"San Diego...German for 'a whale's vagina'."
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6719

cowami wrote:

Why can't you guys just agree to disagree, like Ron Burgundy?

"San Diego...German for 'a whale's vagina'."
Because, if I cannot make him see political truths, I can at least make him believe this one simple FACT THAT I HAVE TESED NUMEROUS TIMES!!!
keghog
+2|6308
It is impossible. I was about to say that it was definatly possible, and this guy is an idiot, but I tried it for myself, and the game wont let you make a mine feild with more than a certain amount of mines. And it is impossible to die on the first click.
AND........... I looked it up....   http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/1erclic.php

so.. karma to you

Last edited by keghog (2007-05-23 20:32:32)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

What is your proof that it does it before your 1st click.  You have yet to back up any of your statements, and it looks pretty silly when I come up with a detailed explanation, and all you can come up with is a contradicting sentence.

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Good god, you can't even quote properly...

Anyhoo, ignoring that for the moment...

Your explaination was "When I was 11 I used to play this game all the time." and "I figured this out by clicking the same square several dozen games in a row, and then alternating differenernt 2nd moves".

Great. Really scientific.

How do I know? Becuase I've played the game a fair bit too and I've hit a mine on my first attempt on numerous occasions. That's how I know.

Look, just accept that you are wrong and move on.

OH, and by the way - there never was a "windows 1.2".
keghog
+2|6308
Scorpion0x17 you are wrong, read my post. It was designed by microsoft so you dont die on the first click.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

keghog wrote:

Scorpion0x17 you are wrong, read my post. It was designed by microsoft so you dont die on the first click.
Well, unless they've changed it in XP, read my post - I know you can/could hit a mine on the first click because I've had it happen to me on numerous occasions. Now, I haven't played the XP version ('cos I've moved on to better games), but this was definately the case in the older versions (IIRC, last version I played a lot was probably Win95).

So, maybe we're both wrong and both right (which would explain why we're both so sure we're right and the other is wrong).

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-05-23 20:40:26)

Deadmonkiefart
+177|6719

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Good god, you can't even quote properly...

Anyhoo, ignoring that for the moment...

Your explaination was "When I was 11 I used to play this game all the time." and "I figured this out by clicking the same square several dozen games in a row, and then alternating differenernt 2nd moves".

Great. Really scientific.

How do I know? Becuase I've played the game a fair bit too and I've hit a mine on my first attempt on numerous occasions. That's how I know.

Look, just accept that you are wrong and move on.

OH, and by the way - there never was a "windows 1.2".
I noticed the quotebox problem and fixed it moments after my post.  Really mature of you to throw that in my face.

Sorry, I meant windows 2.1  -minor typo

I am, however, 100% sure of myself, and stand by the fact that it is generated after the1st move
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6719
It would be completly illogical for a game to have the possibility that you could lose on the 1st turn, because you would just start over with the same results as if the mine configuration had been decided after your turn, only with all of that time wasted.

You might earn more respect if you face it like a man, admit I am right, and gimme some karma.

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2007-05-23 20:56:36)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
Well, windows 2.1 didn't have minesweeper, so you're still wrong on that point - the first version of windows to have minesweeper was 3.1

Anyhoo... I've just discovered we're actually both correct - start a game, then enter the cheat code, then hit F2 to restart the game and run the cursor over the minefield - you'll see that mines are placed before your first click, but if you then click on a mine it gets moved...

And, this behaviour must have changed - because, as I said, I used to play the older versions a lot - and it always pissed me off (for the reasons you state in your last post (i.e. it's just a waste of time)) when I got a mine on my first attempt - which must be why they changed it - in fact I even made up my own game variant where you had to set-up a custom game with the smallest grid-size and the maximum number of mines and not get one on your first attempt - unbelievably difficult... hmm... I wonder if it changed when they upped the smallest grid size to 9x9 (it was originally 8x8) ?
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6769|United States of America
This turned into a full fledged debate. Wtf?
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6719
I am pretty sure it was 2.somthing, and assuming that I played the earliest version of minesweeper, how could they have fixed it? Sorry I can't check what version of windows it was.  That old thing actually started rotting from the inside out a couple of years ago.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

Miller wrote:

This turned into a full fledged debate. Wtf?
Yeah, 'cos monkiefart wouldn't accept he was wrong.

And I didn't realise I was wrong.

But, it turns out, we were both right.

'tis teh wonderful world of teh interweb...
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6843|Denver colorado
Imma try and play dis game.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

I am pretty sure it was 2.somthing, and assuming that I played the earliest version of minesweeper, how could they have fixed it? Sorry I can't check what version of windows it was.  That old thing actually started rotting from the inside out a couple of years ago.
It had to be 3.something. And they must have fixed/changed it. Like they changed the smallest grid size.

Anyhoo, can we agree we were both right and both wrong ('cos we were actually talking about two different versions) ?
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6843|Denver colorado
https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u140/Lavadisk/untitled-2.jpg

Fuck

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard