SoC./Omega
+122|6542|Omaha, Nebraska!

Havok wrote:

Ok, as the subject says, I'm building my first custom computer with parts from Newegg.  So far, I have compiled this list of parts and I need you all to do a few things for me:

1. Tell me if it will all work.
2. Tell me if I'm spending too much or there are better parts for a similar price.

So, I have...

NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP700-80GLC ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W SLi Power Supply 90 - 264V CE,UL,CSA,TUV,NEMKO
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 DC
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 1.5MB Cache SATA Combo Drive
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System
Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue 1600 dpi Gaming Mouse
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD

I already have a G15 keyboard, so I don't need another one of those.  The price (as of right now) for all of those parts is $2,364.75, and I'd like to keep it under $2,500 if possible.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to answer me a few more questions:

(1. and 2. are above)
3. Is it incredibly complicated to install all of these parts?  I assume all of these come with some kind of installation manual, but I could be wrong.
4. How do I apply thermal paste to the CPU.  Do I just rub a small amount of it on the surface of the CPU?
5. Are heatsink fans hard to install?  I frequently hear problems that the fans don't always fit properly, and I'm trying to avoid as many problems as I can.
6. Will the Serial ATA 150 10K RPM harddrive work with my power supply and motherboard?  I know the specs on the mobo said it will accept ATA 100's, but it didn't say anything about 150's (nor did any other 680i mobo's I researched).
7. Since I may plan to SLI the 8800GTX in the future, will my power supply suffice, or will I need a new one when I plan to upgrade?

Those are my main concerns.  I was planning on getting one of ATI's DX10 cards when they released, but seeing how the 2900XT is having issues competing with the 8800GTS, I think I'll stick with nVidia for now.  I'm planning to proceed with this purchase around the 23rd of May (my last day of school), so I'd like some advice before I continue.  Do you think this rig will run Crysis on high settings by the time it's released?  I suspect it will, but I'd like to be certain.

Thanks to all who supply helpful responses.  Karma will follow to those who help.
Everything looks great to me, but if you plan on SLi'ing the 8800GTX then you will need a bigger power supply. Oh, and you might want to consider a Razer Copperhead mouse, I have one and it is a great product. The diamondback is kind of getting out-dated. Make sure you are careful with your WD RAPTOR because the higher the RPM the greater the risk of the thing breaking.

Last edited by SoC./Omega (2007-05-19 08:39:28)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Hurricane wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I wub G5's. I actually like the feel of them a lot more than the G7, plus wireless mice are FTL.
How so? Because you lose 0.00001 reaction time on the mouse? Or because you are scared it is going to stop connection sometimes?
First of all, the time it takes for the mouse signal to reach the G7 pod is incredibly so small. So small a human being could NOT notice.
Second, I have never, ever had a wireless drop out. It has NEVER disconnected itself from the wireless connection. No wires = nicer, cleaner and no stupid hassle.
What he said. People who fret about wireless mice are probably the same people who fret about drinking bottled water because it MIGHT have a MINISCULE TRACE AMOUNT of carcinogens from the plastic.
Fuck you. Nah, I just find having to change batteries and stuff a pain in the ass, and cables in the case of keyboard and mouse don't bother me. Plus cables tend to save my mouse when I knock them off my desk, which is quite handy.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

ghettoperson wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

How so? Because you lose 0.00001 reaction time on the mouse? Or because you are scared it is going to stop connection sometimes?
First of all, the time it takes for the mouse signal to reach the G7 pod is incredibly so small. So small a human being could NOT notice.
Second, I have never, ever had a wireless drop out. It has NEVER disconnected itself from the wireless connection. No wires = nicer, cleaner and no stupid hassle.
What he said. People who fret about wireless mice are probably the same people who fret about drinking bottled water because it MIGHT have a MINISCULE TRACE AMOUNT of carcinogens from the plastic.
Fuck you. Nah, I just find having to change batteries and stuff a pain in the ass, and cables in the case of keyboard and mouse don't bother me. Plus cables tend to save my mouse when I knock them off my desk, which is quite handy.
Agree. Wireless is a novelty ... unless you truly "need" it. My computer ignorant inlaws feel high tech ... because they have wireless. Why create waste when you do need to?

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-05-19 09:55:12)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Seeing as the battery life lasts you for a long time, and you have the wireless hub RIGHT BESIDE YOU it makes no difference at all. It balances the hassle of the cable getting caught in something or tangled.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204
Personally, I can't stand having my mouse tethered by a wire. Any insignificant advantage in response time a wired mouse has is negated by having to drag a wire around.

Wireless mice have reached the point where they perform as well as wired mice, and it has been that way since the MX700. Anyone who says they can notice a difference is full of shit.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Personally, I can't stand having my mouse tethered by a wire. Any insignificant advantage in response time a wired mouse has is negated by having to drag a wire around.

Wireless mice have reached the point where they perform as well as wired mice, and it has been that way since the MX700. Anyone who says they can notice a difference is full of shit.
Agreed. I hate wired mice.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Seeing as the battery life lasts you for a long time, and you have the wireless hub RIGHT BESIDE YOU it makes no difference at all. It balances the hassle of the cable getting caught in something or tangled.
Dude, I already said it has absolutely nothing to do with response times or whatnot. Cables just don't bother me at all, as I pretty much don't have anything for them to get caught on anyway, and it catches them if I knock it off my desk accidentally.
CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine

SoC./Omega wrote:

Havok wrote:

Ok, as the subject says, I'm building my first custom computer with parts from Newegg.  So far, I have compiled this list of parts and I need you all to do a few things for me:

2. Tell me if I'm spending too much or there are better parts for a similar price.

So, I have...

FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP700-80GLC ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W SLi Power Supply 90 - 264V CE,UL,CSA,TUV,NEMKO
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 DC
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 1.5MB Cache SATA Combo Drive

I already have a G15 keyboard, so I don't need another one of those.  The price (as of right now) for all of those parts is $2,364.75, and I'd like to keep it under $2,500 if possible.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to answer me a few more questions:

(1. and 2. are above)
3. Is it incredibly complicated to install all of these parts?  I assume all of these come with some kind of installation manual, but I could be wrong.
4. How do I apply thermal paste to the CPU.  Do I just rub a small amount of it on the surface of the CPU?
5. Are heatsink fans hard to install?  I frequently hear problems that the fans don't always fit properly, and I'm trying to avoid as many problems as I can.
6. Will the Serial ATA 150 10K RPM harddrive work with my power supply and motherboard?  I know the specs on the mobo said it will accept ATA 100's, but it didn't say anything about 150's (nor did any other 680i mobo's I researched).
7. Since I may plan to SLI the 8800GTX in the future, will my power supply suffice, or will I need a new one when I plan to upgrade?

Those are my main concerns.  I was planning on getting one of ATI's DX10 cards when they released, but seeing how the 2900XT is having issues competing with the 8800GTS, I think I'll stick with nVidia for now.  I'm planning to proceed with this purchase around the 23rd of May (my last day of school), so I'd like some advice before I continue.  Do you think this rig will run Crysis on high settings by the time it's released?  I suspect it will, but I'd like to be certain.

Thanks to all who supply helpful responses.  Karma will follow to those who help.
Everything looks great to me, but if you plan on SLi'ing the 8800GTX then you will need a bigger power supply. Oh, and you might want to consider a Razer Copperhead mouse, I have one and it is a great product. The diamondback is kind of getting out-dated. Make sure you are careful with your WD RAPTOR because the higher the RPM the greater the risk of the thing breaking.
700W is more than enough to SLi two 8800's. You want to look at amps though, which are more important than watts.

The 2900XT will completely rape the 8800GTS once the new drivers are released.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Dude, I already said it has absolutely nothing to do with response times or whatnot. Cables just don't bother me at all, as I pretty much don't have anything for them to get caught on anyway, and it catches them if I knock it off my desk accidentally.
Read my post again, carefully Ghetto. You will understand that I wasn't talking about response time.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Read my post again, carefully Ghetto. You will understand that I wasn't talking about response time.
It was the RIGHT BESIDE YOU THAT that made me think that. Plus Fancy was talking about it, so I figured I may as well address the issue in the same post.

But back to something that actually interests me with mice (I don't really care about wired or not that much) is the G7 supposed to be the same shape as the G5? Cause I really like the shape of the G5, but the G7 didn't feel as nice in my hand.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6539|Chicago

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

The G7 needs a forward button. I also don't like the idea of having to manually switch out the battery packs. I'd prefer a charging dock like my current MX700.
The battery packs are fun for geeks like myself, because you can make a big deal of shooting the pack at arms length into your other hand, then flipping it up into the air while grabbing the other one, then trying to get the charged pack into the mouse before the one in mid-air falls. I might be gay.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

It was the RIGHT BESIDE YOU THAT that made me think that. Plus Fancy was talking about it, so I figured I may as well address the issue in the same post.

But back to something that actually interests me with mice (I don't really care about wired or not that much) is the G7 supposed to be the same shape as the G5? Cause I really like the shape of the G5, but the G7 didn't feel as nice in my hand.
I always thought it was...
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6551|EUtopia | Austria
Things to be replaced:

~ PSU - the Fortron one probably won't handle dual 8800GTX, it is cheap - better get an Enermax Infiniti or some Thermaltake (in the Infiniti's price range, though) with about 700W.

~ X-Fi Fatal1ty is... well, you pay the brand. Get the X-Fi Music, it's got the same features except for the external control panel which you won't use that much with a front-enclosed case anyway.

~ Screen is t3h $hit, 19" is just too small for a widescreen, but if you like it, well...

~ CPU Cooler, as you probably mean to OC, there are better coolers out there than the Zalman, just get a Thermalright Ultra 120 and a decent 120mm fan - blows the CNPS9500AT

~ ditch the Diamondback for a DeathAdder, just NOT for a Copperhead! Optical sensors are the way to go!

Well, that was my input
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Ther surface is different, so is probably the weight - and what's worse, the weight distribution. Laser mice sensors are ftl in general, Razer realized this and did one step back, two steps ahead with their DeathAdder.

Oh btw, Bluetooth causes bad radiation - I think it's even worse than plastic bottles, as far as cancer is concerned
SoC./Omega
+122|6542|Omaha, Nebraska!

CrazeD wrote:

SoC./Omega wrote:

Havok wrote:

So, I have...

(1. and 2. are above)

700W is more than enough to SLi two 8800's. You want to look at amps though, which are more important than watts.

The 2900XT will completely rape the 8800GTS once the new drivers are released.
Well, you are just a silly ATi and AMD user . Once the 8950GX and GX2, along with the 8900GTS/GTX come out later this year, it will own everything.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Stormscythe wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Ther surface is different, so is probably the weight - and what's worse, the weight distribution. Laser mice sensors are ftl in general, Razer realized this and did one step back, two steps ahead with their DeathAdder.

Oh btw, Bluetooth causes bad radiation - I think it's even worse than plastic bottles, as far as cancer is concerned
Oh, maybe that's it.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Stormscythe wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Why are laser mice bad?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

Zimmer wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Why are laser mice bad?
Response time is supposedly longer, they aren't really that terrible from what I've heard.

However, your I wouldn't worry about your power supply for SLi, but I'd worry about your OS.  It sounds like suicide is a better option than trying to get 2 video cards to work in Vista.. good luck though
Havok
Nymphomaniac Treatment Specialist
+302|6676|Florida, United States

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

Why are laser mice bad?
Response time is supposedly longer, they aren't really that terrible from what I've heard.

However, your I wouldn't worry about your power supply for SLi, but I'd worry about your OS.  It sounds like suicide is a better option than trying to get 2 video cards to work in Vista.. good luck though
Well I don't plan to SLI for like a year, so by then, better Vista driver should exist.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

Havok wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Why are laser mice bad?

Well I don't plan to SLI for like a year, so by then, better Vista driver should exist.
you'd hope so, and the crappy thing about SLi is, by the time you're ready to do it, there's already a graphics card out that is better than 2 of your old graphics cards...

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2007-05-19 20:57:01)

Havok

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Havok wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

you'd hope so, and the crappy thing about SLi is, by the time you're ready to do it, there's already a graphics card out that is better than 2 of your old graphics cards...
So true.  But because that is true, I won't have to get a better PSU because I can just upgrade to a better card.
Havok

So, back on topic, could someone give me links to better products that I could get that would not exceed my price limit (I can add about $150 worth to what I already have).  I suppose I need a better case and speakers, but I don't know what I should get.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head

Zimmer wrote:

Why are laser mice bad?

Stormscythe wrote:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1300293
Read and learn. The graphs tell something about what I wrote above.
hth!

b2t:
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817153039  + $30
Sound Card: Sorry, can't find the X-Fi XtremeMusic on newegg.
CPU cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835109125 +$1
CPU cooling fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835226013 + $24 (it's expensive, but you'll LOVE it)
Mouse: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6826153007 + $8

The rest is absolutely ok, especially the case seems pretty nice.

edit: I just noticed that the case only offers 26 cm of free space until an additional card, (e.g. gfx) will touch the HHD-cage. The 8800GTX happens to measure 26,7 cm in length...

Last edited by Stormscythe (2007-05-20 03:18:34)

Havok

Stormscythe wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Why are laser mice bad?

Stormscythe wrote:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1300293
Read and learn. The graphs tell something about what I wrote above.
hth!

b2t:
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817153039  + $30
Sound Card: Sorry, can't find the X-Fi XtremeMusic on newegg.
CPU cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835109125 +$1
CPU cooling fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835226013 + $24 (it's expensive, but you'll LOVE it)
Mouse: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6826153007 + $8

The rest is absolutely ok, especially the case seems pretty nice.

edit: I just noticed that the case only offers 26 cm of free space until an additional card, (e.g. gfx) will touch the HHD-cage. The 8800GTX happens to measure 26,7 cm in length...
Thanks for the help.  Karma's coming your way.  About the case, are you saying that the 8800GTX won't fit?

EDIT: whoops, already Karma'd you today

Last edited by Havok (2007-05-20 09:32:24)

Stormscythe
Aiming for the head

Havok wrote:

About the case, are you saying that the 8800GTX won't fit?
Oh, i just found something on the NZXT website:

NZXT website wrote:

Features
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * Full tower Light weight Aluminum Chassis
    * NVIDIA 8800GTX Compatible
    * Quad 12cm fans optimized for SLI and Crossfire Configurations
    * Fully equiped Cooling system with Seven 12cm fans and 1 8cm fan
    * Aluminum plated front panel
    * See-through Smoked acrylic
    * Screwless installation for 5.25", 3.5" and PCI devices
    * Quad 12cm side fan setup