ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
...and sweet Jesus there is a serial rapist loose in my town.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti … id=5305096

She will not carry pepper spray in the house because she's afraid the kids will get it. The kids go in and out of our backyard, so the back door is open most all day while I'm at work 25+ miles away.
Helecopters buzzed our neighborhood last night as the nearby apartment reported a suspicious person in the bushes ( 1000 feet from my house ).

Any advice not involving a large dog?
LT.Victim
+1,175|6563|British Columbia, Canada
A small dog then?

If your really scared about your Wifes Safety..

Then just lock the kids inside and set the alarm, I mean, it shouldn't take that long for the Police to catch this guy right?
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6649|Norway
I dont know, but i hope they catch that son of a bitch as soon as possible. Stay inside after dark maybe?
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6518|Montucky
I recommend building a Moat.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6487|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
Teach her how to shoot, ATG, you and I live in the same area(SOCAL), My buddy can get a balistic pepper spray that when its shot, shoots a pellet of OC at 90mph. Knocks mofos on their asses!! Or get self defense training
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6561

LT.Victim wrote:

Then just lock the kids inside and set the alarm, I mean, it shouldn't take that long for the Police to catch this guy right?
10 years and counting.

Taser?  Why no large dog?
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
I suggest security cameras, sentry turrets, a couple missles and hide a bazooka under your pillow.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6487|Melbourne

If she goes out, go out in groups large groups.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
ATG
Banned

Bubbalo wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

10 years and counting.

Taser?  Why no large dog?
IMO, dogs and children do not mix.
Dogs are unpredictable people. I loved my shepherd maddly and would only own a German Shepherd.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6561
German Shepherd actually is actually a pretty good choice for a guard dog, but I see your point (completely missed the kids running in and out bit in the OP).  Having said that, might be worth chatting to a local vet or similar about breeds known for being a bit placid.  If trained properly, I'm sure it'll be fine as a guard dog and with kids so long as you make sure the kids don't harass it (in fact, there are some dogs who won't hurt kids which they view as family even if they do harass it).

Or you could hire a full time bodyguard.  That'd be cool....................
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6331|teh alien spaceshit
A large hammer would do. When that pervert comes, make him unable to rape forever.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
stay home and guard the house? not really many options other than a weapon of some kind or a dog:\
security system is fine so long as the cops are next door... doesnt do much to people other than give them a time limit
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6278|Mo Val, Cali
Alright without mentioning your wife's questionable judgment the best bet is have her and the kids stay inside with the alarm on while you're away. If the kids want to play outside have her take them to a populated park. Also dogs, unless their really aggressive don't do shit but bark and when approached go the other way. So even a small dog can alert her or the kids of someone near by, plus the kids love it and teach them a little responsibility. Having her to get some kind of weapon in a certain place to run to wouldn't hurt either

Last edited by S.J.N.P.0717 (2007-05-16 22:48:18)

Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6650|Keyboard
Plant 3 fucking claymores, that's all I can say.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6561

S.J.N.P.0717 wrote:

Alright without mentioning your wife's questionable judgment
Yes, because you'd have to be crazy to not want to own a gun..................?
soldevilla13
SuperFly
+21|6721|oregon
look at dupont registry, car magazine, but they have a company that advertises in thier magazine for these amazingly trained executive german shepherds and belgian malinois. take a look at that...

what about knifes? tranquilizers? small pepper spray bottles in the purse?

edit: the advertisement is for CPI(canine protection International) www.ProtectionDogs.com <-- a little expensive, but i'd say well worth it....i ahve a saint bernard(female) which would destroy anything that tries to hurt her family... i ahve a great dane(male) that barks and looks vicious but doesn't do much... between these two, my house hasn't been broken into, and nobody even thinks about trying to fight me outside my house.

Last edited by soldevilla13 (2007-05-16 22:57:55)

Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
220lb. mastiff.  easy going but very protective of family members.  a cheaper version would be a Labrador-Newfoundland mutt.  both giant teddybears with kids.  but it mostly depends on how you raise them.
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6278|Mo Val, Cali

Bubbalo wrote:

S.J.N.P.0717 wrote:

Considering the serial rapist in the area and last night there was a suspicious guy in the bushes pretty close. To me, at least, that's questionable
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6491|Menlo Park, CA
ATG. . . I agree on the whole dog + small children = unpredictability

You cant have a taser around small kids either. . .if they get one shock from that thing they would die!!

Guns are a hot issue too. . . .guns and kids dont mix either. However, if you get a 9mm or a .22 you could hide it in an area that the little ones couldnt reach.

Pepper spray is tough cause if its in your wife's purse the kids could grab it and do some damage! It sounds like you need to do whatever it is you need to do. . . .but my money and protection is on a firearm.  Its our 2nd amendment right, and is the only tried and true way to really safeguard your young family.

A rapist is in YOUR area, your sanctuary, your home town. . . . .don't not protect your family cause your wife is against guns or other protective measures!! You yourself said your work is 25 + miles away. . . I would invest in some protection, cause YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-05-16 23:01:31)

ATG
Banned

Bubbalo wrote:

S.J.N.P.0717 wrote:

We have lots of guns. Because we are good parents, they are in the attic where they are stored seperate from the clips and ammo, where my 5 year old CANNOT POSSIBLY GET TO THEM. So, may as well not have them for home defense. That's a choice we made as parents.

At the time I said the risk of somebody coming into my house was not worth the risk of my son getting his hands on anything.

...I have to stand by that. This sucks.
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
a nice little 8+1 pump shotgun.  you cant even really call them a gun.  they're more like a tool or implement.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6491|Menlo Park, CA

ATG wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

S.J.N.P.0717 wrote:

We have lots of guns. Because we are good parents, they are in the attic where they are stored seperate from the clips and ammo, where my 5 year old CANNOT POSSIBLY GET TO THEM. So, may as well not have them for home defense. That's a choice we made as parents.

At the time I said the risk of somebody coming into my house was not worth the risk of my son getting his hands on anything.

...I have to stand by that. This sucks.
I would bring one down just in case. . . .a serial rapist is a serious deal dude!!!

Not too mention he is in your area! I would grab a handgun and keep it somewhere where the little 5 year old cant grab it (if thats possible)

Good parents protect their kids from serial rapists. . . . .you will do fine! Just close all your windows, lock all doors etc. be extra careful!!
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6647
seriously, even if she had a gun, I doubt she would be cool enough to use it 'properly' if she gets caught by surprise - which is hopefully never going to happen.
I'd also recommend instlaling an alarm inside the house, which can be set off by pushing a button in each room. other than that, keep the door closed and if possible the kids inside the house as well.
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6278|Mo Val, Cali
Having a gun lock plus having out of reach and hidden from your kids is really safe. Also gun education. I found my mom's and dad's pistols serveral times without it having a gun lock and loaded. But my parent's educated me about it and I knew not to touch it and go on doing what I was doing. Then dogs, the best thing is to have one as soon as possible from birth. So the first people it knows are you and your family and small pups don't flip out. It's when they get a little older.
ATG
Banned

fadedsteve wrote:

Good parents protect their kids from serial rapists. . . . .you will do fine! Just close all your windows, lock all doors etc. be extra careful!!
This is the first time sinse he was two that I have considered pulling one down for the house...but, say I'm at work and my wife is in the kitchen. She looks up and the bad guy is standing in the hall.
What good will the gun in my closet do?

I guess we  all just trust our luck to fate.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard