wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK
http://www.militaryvideos.net/videos.php?videonum=9

Video says it Norwegian troops but I think its the L85. I know its only a training exercise but that shit happening in a life threatening situation would suck big time.

Last edited by wah1188 (2007-05-16 18:02:06)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6518|Tyne & Wear, England
They are Norwegian troops, i saw the flag on one of their arms.  I guess its time to replace the L85 then.

Maybe it was the A1 version??  I know the A1 was renowned for that and they ironed out a lot of the problems with the A2.

Last edited by KILLSWITCH (2007-05-16 18:05:39)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6502|Chicago, IL
thats a l85a2, just like in SF, and they do have problems with jamming, but the AK-47 is a legend among legends for misfiring and jamming, especially in desert climates, so the insurgents are probably dealing with the same problem
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK

KILLSWITCH wrote:

They are Norwegian troops, i saw the flag on one of their arms.  I guess its time to replace the L85 then.

Maybe it was the A1 version??  I know the A1 was renowned for that and they ironed out a lot of the problems with the A2.
Yeah I'm pretty sure of that too, but did the A2 sort out the problem witht he magazine? Problem is theres so much bullshit it will take ages to sort out.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6761

S.Lythberg wrote:

thats a l85a2, just like in SF, and they do have problems with jamming, but the AK-47 is a legend among legends for misfiring and jamming, especially in desert climates, so the insurgents are probably dealing with the same problem
The AK-47 was a legend among ledgends for its reliability and hardiness.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6518|Tyne & Wear, England

S.Lythberg wrote:

Its the L85A1 in special forces.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Indeed but I've read its not very accurate over 300 yards/metres compared to the new rifles.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6345|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

wah1188 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Indeed but I've read its not very accurate over 300 yards/metres compared to the new rifles.
Then again, in modern times, battle's mostly focused on CQB, so I don't really think inaccuracy over longer ranges is an issue here.

Of course, my American mind can't comprehend a distance of 300 meters. I like how only America (not even England!) uses the English measurement system.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK

cowami wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Then again, in modern times, battle's mostly focused on CQB, so I don't really think inaccuracy over longer ranges is an issue here.

Of course, my American mind can't comprehend a distance of 300 meters. I like how only America (not even England!) uses the English measurement system.
Yeah but I guess the accuracy will be there when you need it.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6502|Chicago, IL

deadmonkiefart wrote:

maybe in 1947, but the m1 and Kar98 that other armies were using at the time were almost 50 years old at the time.

Compared to modern weapons, the AK-47 is unreliable, inaccurate, and unwieldly.  (it's really heavy compared to US guns)
Skorpy-chan
+127|6400|Twyford, UK

wah1188 wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

That's because you can't have a rifle that's exceedingly accurate AND exceedingly durable with the AK's design. And that it's not MEANT to be used over 300 meters, since that was a long distance by WW2 standards, which they used when designing it.
For the 3-600 meter role, they had Dragunov equipped squad snipers. Over that, dedicated snipers and heavy weaponry like artillery.

The design decision is paying off for Russia big-time. The AK47 is in use over half the world, since they sold their entire inventory off cheap when introducing the 5.56mm round version. Ditto with RPG7s, when they introduced newer, better (read, can hit the broadside of a barn with) models.
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6761

S.Lythberg wrote:

deadmonkiefart wrote:

maybe in 1947, but the m1 and Kar98 that other armies were using at the time were almost 50 years old at the time.

Compared to modern weapons, the AK-47 is unreliable, inaccurate, and unwieldly.  (it's really heavy compared to US guns)
It may be considered inaccurate and unwieldly, but even by today's standards, it is very reliable.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6502|Chicago, IL
Its extremely easy to clear if it jams, which may make it reliable, but it jams far more often than the m16, and that means the terrorist gets to see what his brains look like.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6699

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

deadmonkiefart wrote:

It may be considered inaccurate and unwieldly, but even by today's standards, it is very reliable.
as much as id hate to admit it.  the kalashnikov is known for eats reliablity.  but more importantly, for its ease of use.  its an inaccurate peice of shit that a 5 year old can maintain.  not a soldiers weapon.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK
Meant to be not too bad to hold the ak.
nem420hunter
+8|6568
i guess the fact that the ak-47 has been in more battles and has killed more ppl than any gun ever has no baring here..
sure the newer guns are lighter and more accurate than the sloppy mechanism of the ak.  but this sloppy mech is what allows the ak to shoot underwater.. and or in dusty dirty wet invironments.. if I had ak and a m4a1 infront of me in a hostile situation and both were caked with mud and dirt,  id surly pick the ak over the m4.  the m4 has to be spotless in order to insure it to fire everytime because of its close tolerences. thus is why the military is so big on having clean well oiled weapons.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6699

nem420hunter wrote:

the m4 has to be spotless in order to insure it to fire.
not true.  stop spreading misinformation.  where do you learn this junk man?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6400|Twyford, UK

S.Lythberg wrote:

Its extremely easy to clear if it jams, which may make it reliable, but it jams far more often than the m16, and that means the terrorist gets to see what his brains look like.
Nope, it can be filled with sand, and fired without jamming after just shaking it off. Soviet divers used to carry them for defense on land, and were able to fire them after merely emptying the saltwater out the reviever and barrel.
The M16, on the other hand, is a touchy weapon. Very accurate in the right hands, but has to be cleaned religiously many times a day whether it's fired or not. The slightest bit of sand can foul up the mechanism.

Terrorists lose firefights because they are pretty much untrained. Point, spray, and pray, quite literally. On the other side, the Americans are highly trained, using accurate weaponry, and are actually aiming before they fire.
And taking cover.
And actually care whether they survive the firefight.
And have handy heavy machineguns mounted on pretty much everything just in case they're needed. (and because having a big gun around does wonders for morale)
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK
The m16 and m4 jam because of the firing mechanism right so how much different is their firing mechanism from the ak?
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6761
The AK can take much more punishmen than the M-16 and still operate, and It requires much much much less maintenance than m-16.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6400|Twyford, UK

wah1188 wrote:

The m16 and m4 jam because of the firing mechanism right so how much different is their firing mechanism from the ak?
Extremely. The AK has a piston with loose tolerances. The M16 has a system where the gases from the firing move the parts directly, and thus they accumulate grime. The tight tolerance to ensure accuracy doesen't help.

Last edited by Skorpy-chan (2007-05-16 18:48:10)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK

Skorpy-chan wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

Extremely. The AK has a piston with loose tolerances. The M16 has a system where the gases from the firing move the parts directly, and thus they accumulate grime. The tight tolerance to ensure accuracy doesen't help.
What do you mean by tolerance? As in care and maintenance?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6400|Twyford, UK

wah1188 wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

Mechanical tolerance. The distance between the moving parts, the controls on the manufacturing process, and the precision of the movement.
Go look them up on Wikipedia.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6515|UK

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

What did I say something dumb?
nem420hunter
+8|6568

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

nem420hunter wrote:

the m4 has to be spotless in order to insure it to fire.
not true.  stop spreading misinformation.  where do you learn this junk man?
i learned this junk by shooting thousands of rounds through both of them.. any givin time shooting I will spend more time with jams from my m4 than from my ak hands down.  Granted this is after shooting hundreds of rounds out of them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard