DeltaForceWarrior
+1|6765
-i've been noticing lately a lot of people on the forums and in game saying they can't get their pistol badges so i decided to post some tips here.

-there are four things to remember when using pistols: Range, Opportunity, Accuracy and Damage

1)Range
-though you may think of the pistol as a close range weapon, it really performs best at medium range. at close range the inherent danger of shotguns, grenade launchers, and assault rifles make the pistol a poor offensive weapon. however, several prime shots at medium range will put an enemy down fast. also don't underestimate the range capabilities of the pistol. i have sniped people with the pistol from long range numerous times. the handgun is a good long range weapon for the engineer and AT class because of the limitations of these classes' primary assault weapons.

2)Opportunity
-much like the knife, the pistol is best used as a weapon of opportunity. if an enemy has his back to you, three quick shots execution style to the back of his head will put him down perfectly. however, if you face the enemy head on and he isn't a sniper, then you might as well just use your primary weapon for safety. the pistol is also a great finishing tool. shoot a target in the chest with your M95 and quickly switch to the pistol and put 2 shots into the enemy and they will fall.

*the pistol is also great for "stealing" kills. if you see a friendly soldier engaged in a firefight with a visible enemy it it is often possible to whip out your handgun and quickly put the finishing blow into the target.

3)Accuracy
-the semi-auto firing mode and low recoil of the pistol makes it one of the most accurate weapons in the game. the pistol is also fairly accurate at close range even against hopping, but the diminished damage of the bullets make it hard to take out a target who has a more powerful weapon.  Best results are achieved while prone or kneeling. always remember, "if possible, aim for the head"

4)Damage
-pistols take about 5 shots to the chest to take down a target and about 3 to the head. it isn't fact, but i have noticed that silenced pistols are slightly weaker and may need 6 shots to the chest. Also, always reload your pistol after every battle. more than likely it will take you more then the minimum amount of shots to take out a target, so you want to be ready with the maximum amount of ammo going into every battle.

i hope this guide will at least help people get their feet wet in the fun world of BF2 pistol battling, but if it doesn't, whatever.

also, i just broke 500 kills, so don't be surprised if you see me on karkand trying for my expert badge
dshak
+4|6814
the pistol isn't effected at all by being prone or kneeling as suggested. also, there is no difference with silenced or unsilenced pistols in terms of power. If it took you six shots, not all six landed.

you have far, far, far more pistol kills then most people and I don't don't doubt your expertise at all, most of this thread is very solid and accurate, just not the two above mentioned items. I found the basic pistol incredibly easy to get, decided to try one round and got it instantly. you don't really need headshots, people just don't know how fast you can pop four or five shots off with a pistol, and if you're aiming at the bad guys midsection then the recoil won't elevate beyond his head before he drops dead. I found aiming for the head was a good way to miss and get splattered by a toob. I aimed for the belt and clicked away.

(also, I'm not trying to be an ass so don't get pissed at me)

good post.

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-12 01:48:53)

THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6771|AUS, Canberra
iv killed a few people with two head shots.
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6758|06-01
to the_heart_attack:

your sig is, well, nice.....
.zerOKilled.[ITA]
+0|6845
i will be in karkand too (now 455 kill) trying to get the badge

gg for the guide
adv3rsary
+28|6716
ah pistol badge was cake.. took like 5 mins to get it... the knife one wasnt so fun.. took the whole game.. barely got the 7th kill before the game ended... got both of them at Karkand.. it is probably the best map to attempt to get them on
Snakestyles
+17|6738|South Africa
Nope Sharqui is best for knife and pistol,explosive ordinance badge is also very easy on that map.

Last edited by Snakestyles (2005-12-12 03:05:05)

FourStars
+1|6740|Australia
what kinda retard cant get the pistol badge! i found it easy, knife i a bit harder though, ive only tried once though
Camp Freddie
+0|6715
Since v1.12 pistols now have stance accuracy modifiers.  1.4 for standing, 1.2 crouched and 1.0 for prone.  I've been meaning to try for my pistol badge for some time.  This thread has reminded me that I need to get it!
Hyper
Banned
+154|6751

the_heart_attack wrote:

iv killed a few people with two head shots.
yup
nice and annoying huge
srry but ya...i get tired of having to scroll through 10 pages of sigs to read 4 posts
TroyN
+0|6726

DeltaForceWarrior wrote:

-3)Accuracy
-the semi-auto firing mode and low recoil of the pistol makes it one of the most accurate weapons in the game. the pistol is also fairly accurate at close range even against hopping, but the diminished damage of the bullets make it hard to take out a target who has a more powerful weapon.  Best results are achieved while prone or kneeling. always remember, "if possible, aim for the head"
Just wanna comment on the irony of this I've found the pistol to be more accurate than the sniper rifles. It's hillarious how easy it is to outsnipe anyone with the pistol. I never really used it much till I started going for vet AT/Engineer and noticed it. It's about the exact opposite of what you would expect. After logging about 14 hours on AT and geting the 500 pistol kills. Got expert first round I tried after. Practicing with that thing is definetly worth it.
CackNBallz
+45|6743|Toronto, Canada

TroyN wrote:

DeltaForceWarrior wrote:

-3)Accuracy
Just wanna comment on the irony of this I've found the pistol to be more accurate than the sniper rifles. It's hillarious how easy it is to outsnipe anyone with the pistol. I never really used it much till I started going for vet AT/Engineer and noticed it. It's about the exact opposite of what you would expect. After logging about 14 hours on AT and geting the 500 pistol kills. Got expert first round I tried after. Practicing with that thing is definetly worth it.
For sure! I started getting so many pistols kills when using the engineer and Anti-tank kits.  Counter-sniping snipers, and killing people at close, medium and long ranges.  The pistol is awesome!  You also get a good amount of ammo, so much so that I don't reload after killing one or two guys and have about 8 rounds left.  I run around with the pistol and shoot off the rest and then switch to primary.  Conversely if I ever found that I ran out of ammo I pull out the 9 milly and finish them off. That, or the knife depending on proximity to the enemy or if they are reloading.
vjs
+19|6771
As people have said above,

Just point for the chest a click as fast as you can. Better yet, point for the back and click as fast as you can.

3 shot head 5 shots body, just go for the body... unless of course you have the time. They are laying down at close range not looking etc.

Another suggestion... go prone with the silenced pistol on karkard. Stay out of the cqc and steal the kills. I get alot of kill damage assits this way as well.

The pistol is a great weapon to help the teammate get the kill, you also don't get team damage when hitting a teammate that runs in front of you.

Always reload, anything else is stupid. Why save 3 shots when you have 4 clips. Reloading with the pistol is fast.

Never reload your primary it's faster to switch to pistol.
CackNBallz
+45|6743|Toronto, Canada
It isn't stupid, if you are fairly decent with a pistol and as you stated it reloads quickly then you can save the extra rounds for that extra amount of damage and not really worry.  In urban maps, it isn't advised as there is most likely another two or three guys around the corner, but in other cases it is fine.  As long as the ammo quantity meter isn't in the red that is.

I don't know about you, but I tend to stay alive to expend most if not all my ammo from killing and giving off covering fire so my squad mates can make it to the next area of cover easier.

If I am a sniper and I am isolated I will save each and every round and that includes the pistol.  Sniping with a silenced pistol is crazy fun as they don't know where you are and can't locate you by sound.

I don't reload unless I am entrenched, behind cover, or run out of both primary and pistol rounds otherwise it is knife or grenade time.
dshak
+4|6814
I've said this many many times, begining to think I'm wrong... but isn't there a HIT INDICATOR that flashes when you get shot... like a  red half circle that briefly flashed showing which direction the hit came from!?!? I could SWEAR I've seen this before, and have never had ANY trouble locating which direction a shot came from, whether its a sniper miles away or a silenced pistol.

also, for those of you who want to "counter snipe me"... I'd LOVE it if you would bring a pistol to the duel when I'm using my M24. most people are just stupid and have their weapon scoped all the time, these are the idiots I'm sure you are killing. when sniping I am ONLY scoped when firing, never locating. you'd have to be in an AWEFULLY superior position for me to A) not see you and B) hit me 3-5 times before I put one in your grey matter.

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-12 15:53:16)

joemah
+6|6742
I find pistols good for a defensive weapon. It almost certain death rushing into an enemy flag with only a pistol. I got my expert pistol by playing defense for one of my team's flags.

Last edited by joemah (2005-12-12 16:05:57)

Coryphaeus
+0|6775

FourStars wrote:

what kinda retard cant get the pistol badge! i found it easy, knife i a bit harder though, ive only tried once though
Stfu, try getting 500 kills  and 18 iar.  i need the 18 for expert, and 34 explosive for the expert, try that one no luck there. got expert knife tho.
dshak
+4|6814
did they really change the pistol in 1,12 so accuracy is now improved when crouching or prone?!?! this would be really stupid, as the lakc of deviation is one of the few things they had right in the first place... anyone who has fired sidearms will tell you (myself included) that it is MUCH easier to fire a pistol accurately from a standing position or crouching than lying prone on the ground. If anything pistol accuracy should decrease while prone.
CrunkAsHell
+0|6833|Canada
I agree with most of this thread. I recently had a revalation with the SVD rifle and am now (imo) one of the better snipers in the game (just came off Warlord with 35 kills as sniper, and made some crazy shots) and the silenced pistol is my new best friend. I can usually win against any class at medium range unless they get a lucky headshot or get the jump on me.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6789|Singapore

dshak wrote:

did they really change the pistol in 1,12 so accuracy is now improved when crouching or prone?!?! this would be really stupid, as the lakc of deviation is one of the few things they had right in the first place... anyone who has fired sidearms will tell you (myself included) that it is MUCH easier to fire a pistol accurately from a standing position or crouching than lying prone on the ground. If anything pistol accuracy should decrease while prone.
As my primary weapon IRL is a handgun, I fully agree

But silenced pistols ARE more accurate IMHO.. Or maybe its just the thrill of firing a pistol with a silencer's that's gotten into me
dshak
+4|6814
crunk, why does their head shot have to be "lucky"? I'd agree that those semi-auto rifles can be great at medium range, but they're junk from distance. I've had one or two encounters with some semi-auto snipers and most of the time I can put one in their forehead before they get their third shot off. I usually win the dual, has nothing to do with luck, but it leaves me crippled for my next encounter

I'm darn near 50% accuracy now with sniper rifles, and I would attribute that to the fact that whenever possible I use the M24

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-12 18:08:32)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
If you can't get the basic pistol badge, you really suck.  It doesn't have to be in one life, it's a whole round and they're usually 30 minutes so if you can't kill 5 people with a pistol in 30 minutes, either you're not using it enough or you just suck.
CrunkAsHell
+0|6833|Canada

dshak wrote:

crunk, why does their head shot have to be "lucky"? I'd agree that those semi-auto rifles can be great at medium range, but they're junk from distance. I've had one or two encounters with some semi-auto snipers and most of the time I can put one in their forehead before they get their third shot off. I usually win the dual, has nothing to do with luck, but it leaves me crippled for my next encounter

I'm darn near 50% accuracy now with sniper rifles, and I would attribute that to the fact that whenever possible I use the M24
Well I know that with most guns (save sniper rifles of course) I ususally aim for the torso since 2-3 rounds will drop someone with the AK-101 or 3-4 rounds with the G36C.... if I hit the head it's usually by accident.

And the M16 is by far the best rifle for shooting at targets at long range. Maybe it's just me, but I drop people easy as pie with the M16 on single shot.

As for rifle accuracy, if I hit someone three times with the SVD, is that 33% accuracy or 100%? I'm guessing 100% since you'd hit him 3 times but we all know how... "different" BF2 can track stuff at times.
dshak
+4|6814
if you hit the target, kill or not, its 100% accuracy, though I get your drift.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia
I must be the only friggin retard that can't get their BASIC pistol or knife badges. And for that matter their engineer (the repair one, not combat) either. I ALWAYS seem to finish the round with one kill to go.

Any good pistoling spots in karkand? (dont play that much cause of hopping, c4 throwing retards) I just thought that maybe a good spot would be the hill near the USMC arty spawn. It overlooks the area where MEC come to defend their 1st base. I can lie in the prone position and be relativly protected from snipers.  Usually alot of grenades are thrown so maybe ill get some easy finishes.

Dunno about my knife kill's tho...

Side note: I can't seem to get the repair one because whenever we need the arty to be fixed, and I say ILL DO IT, the idiot commander just drops supply creates and fixes it instantly. I also find that half the time I don't get the repair point anyway.

EDIT: I forgot to say good guide. I hope it helps me get my pistol awards.

Last edited by mcminty (2005-12-12 21:20:58)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard